Manly's Backrow

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

cyms12

Manly will go into 2012 with the best backrow in the comp handsdown. Stewart, Watmough, and Williams will give the side the ultimate combination of skill, class and power. It got me thinking of some of the great combinations that we have had over the years.

Just some examples:
50's- George Hunter,Rex Mossop, Doug Daley
1972- Mal Reilly, Terry Randall, Ian Thomson
1976- Ian Martin, Phil Lowe, Steve Norton
1978- Ian Martin, Terry Randall, Bruce Walker
1987- Paul Vautin, Noel Cleal, Ron Gibbs
1990's- Nik Kosef, Danile Gartner, Steve Menzies

What is everyone's thoughts on our best combo over the years. Unfortunately I haven't seen a lot of some of these guys but it would have to be the Reilly, Randall and Thomson combination. Although I loved watching Kosef, Gartner and Menzies in the 1990's.

Was thinking this afternoon that Foran would make an excellent lock, which would allow Tooves to bring in Riccardi who could be ready to make the jump to 1st grade

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Was thinking this afternoon that Foran would make an excellent lock, which would allow Tooves to bring in Riccardi who could be ready to make the jump to 1st grade

To small in stature, Freddy was alot bigger

Kennedy Menzies Watmough and the current backrow are easily the best 2 combos in Rugby League history.

From my time watching, you can't go past Menzies, Gartner and Kosef. Just devestating in attack and defence. I feel we missed seeing a career develop that would be talked about in the vein of the likes of Beaver and BK, when Kosef's continuous knee problems limited his time in the game.

Ditto Hamster.
Whilst we've had some very special backrowers the combo of Gartner, Beaver & Kosef - with shot knees - are the best even though as a kid I couldn't decide who my favourite player was out of Igor and Ian Martin.
Foran reminds me of Ian Martin, a tough bugger that cOULD play centre, 5/8 & lock equally well.

Isn't it funny that most sides compare halves and we compare backrowers.

And the scary thing is we'll have players able to step up into the void of rep footy as well ie Harrison, Bhurer, Ma'afu etc.

I am child of the mid '80's so I can't really comment on teams prior to the '90's as I wasn't around or can't remember anything earlier. Personally, Menzies, Gartner and Kosef are hard to go past. Menzies, Watmough and Kennedy were equally as good but I think Watmough, Williams and Stewart could be phenomenal when you consider Watmough and Stewart have already won two premierships and Williams is only 22 years of age and seems to only just discovered how big he really is.

The current one will make history next year playing for the blues, did we lose the backrow with any other combo in SoO?

Our origin period next year will leave us bare,i expect DCE to take Cronks bench spot and Snake to take his rightful place at #1 for nsw

5 from the to 17

The '72 combination included Alan Thompson not Ian. Alan was a nuggety, tough as nails second rower. The combination with Igor and Mal would be the toughest to ever play the game without doubt. The only thing missing was a ball runner.
The Gartner, Menzies and Kosef backrow had everything, skills defence and ball runner.
[/align] I think our current combination could be as good if they stay together all year.

rosco said:
The '72 combination included Alan Thompson not Ian. Alan was a nuggety, tough as nails second rower. The combination with Igor and Mal would be the toughest to ever play the game without doubt. The only thing missing was a ball runner.
The Gartner, Menzies and Kosef backrow had everything, skills defence and ball runner.
[/align] I think our current combination could be as good if they stay together all year.
Yeah, he was tough alright, met him a few times, pretty sure his last name was spelt Thomson though.:)

Manlys back to back Lethal Backrow, Watmough, Stewart, T-Rex. The best in the NRL !!!

The Vautin,Cleal,Gibbs backrow was devastating. Vautin tackled everything twice, Cleal unstoppable ball runner, Gibbs kamikazi missile. It was an awesome backrow.

Hamster Huey said:
From my time watching, you can't go past Menzies, Gartner and Kosef. Just devestating in attack and defence. I feel we missed seeing a career develop that would be talked about in the vein of the likes of Beaver and BK, when Kosef's continuous knee problems limited his time in the game.

Great thread. I like these sorts of threads.
I agree with HH. Great backrow.
Mickqld's backrow was pretty good to though.

Gee-I would take Randall, Reilly and Martin for toughness in that era.
They were dominant during the early 70's with Alan Thomson.
But Menzies, Kosef and Garts were the talk of the town as the "Best Ever" in the late 90's.
Hard to compare eras. The one right now could go past them all if they stay together. But then again....no Menzies, No cigar!

quinny said:
Gee-I would take Randall, Reilly and Martin for toughness in that era.
They were dominant during the early 70's with Alan Thomson.
But Menzies, Kosef and Garts were the talk of the town as the "Best Ever" in the late 90's.
Hard to compare eras. The one right now could go past them all if they stay together. But then again....no Menzies, No cigar!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150377680912882&set=at.10150148808512882.284794.698282881.786928352&type=1&theater

Wombat enjoying his birthday!!!

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6