Manly's 2004 side would have beaten that rabble

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
That was the biggest load of horse manure we have seen since the Beagles days - Penrif and Sharks debacles perhaps excepted.

Let's go through the side and assess their performance - taking in the coaches box as well.

B Stewart - Is not running onto the ball.  Looks like he's audtioning for the number 6 jumper (unsuccesfully).  5/10

Bani - Didn't do much wrong.  Can probably be absolved from blame.  6/10

Bell - Crap.  Defence was poor, bombed a try and continues to shuffle and crowd his players.  So much shirt grabbing in defence.  2/10 (and that's being generous).

Vaeleki - Was better when he left the field injured.  1/10

Robertson - Had limited opportunities and bailed us out of trouble a few times.  7/10

Lyon - Appalling.  This "experiment" at number 6 has to end.  His defence was porous, did nothing with the ball, bombed a try by kicking rather than passing and looked bewildered and disinterested.  0/10

Offord - Played the "tried hard" sort of game you'd expect of a half back in his first season of grade - not a $500,000 blue chip.  We know he is going to cop the blame though at least he was 2 out of 17 players that had a dig.  4/10

I disagree with two ratings.

Firstly I thought Bani was really good - involved in a lot and did a lot of the forwards work out of our 20. I'd give him an 8 and would be the only player I'd say well played to.

Secondly Orford. I don't think he had a dig. Just because he gets the ball every play cause that's the tricky game plan designed to outfox the opposition doesn't mean that he tried hard.

Agreed, The forwards, Kite excepted, passed the ball to a player in a worse position all night.  Game plan?  Not final eight on tonights performance.  There was a lack of enthusiasm all night. 

The words I uttered were "It is like watching the Norther Eagles"

King - Played 60 minutes unchanged I believe?  Ran hard, tackled well and had a dig.  8/10

Ballin - Was solid but not spectacular.  6/10

Perry - Stupid.  It is probably better I don't write what I think of him THROWING AWAY THE GAME!!!!!!!  1/10

Glenn  Stewart - Solid but not spectacular.  5/10

Watmough - The blue arsed fly is back.  3/10

Kite - Did Hasler seriously only give him around 30 minutes?  WTF?????  Was barely sighted and is not a lock.  2/10

Menzies - Was smart and tried to lift the side.  7/10

Cuthbertson - Given Des hates him he can get his jumper sized up for the NSW cup.  Was dumb but doesn't deserve to be the scapegoat that he will become.  2/10

Bryant - Is there another bench player in the game that adds as little impact?  2/10

Williamson - Yes there is.  At least he played more minutes and tackled to a standstill.  2/10

Video Ref - 2 weeks and two tries taken off us that were legitimate.  We could have 4 points to our premiership tally if not for their howlers.  1/10

Hasler:

0/10.  Consider

Wastes 2 interchanges by bringing on Willo and Bryant after 15 minutes.  Why not start with Willo if he is considered so instrumental to our prospects??????

At one point we had Kite, Perry and Cuthbo on the bench applauding as Bryant and Willo were getting pushed backwards.  It was at this point where the momentum turned.

The Lyon experiment is dead in the water.  It's continuation is akin to the ridiculous situation in 2004 where Stewart played reserve grade while Mullane was blundering around in the 6. 

And dumbest attacking play of the night came in the first play of golden point.  Beaver storms up the middle to set up the field gola and Offord take the ball left and tries a banana kick back infield with noone chasing!!!!!!!!

What's with always kicking on the fourth? Are we embarrased when Fox puts up the poor amount of metres we gain for the five tackles that we kick early to avoid reading it?

ads link said:
What's with always kicking on the fourth? Are we embarrased when Fox puts up the poor amount of metres we gain for the five tackles that we kick early to avoid reading it?

Wondered this also. Didn't get the ball at all until the 6-7th or minute and then Orford kicks it away on the 4th.

Orford's now isolated in the brains department and it shows.  No direction and poor execution of whatever game plan our brilliant recently resigned coach comes up with.  Not final eight this year I fear.

Well the only way it up, the only positive is our defence was solid for 95% of the match.  We need to learn to score farking tries!!!!  More than 2 anyway.

Garts link said:
Well the only way it up, the only positive is our defence was solid for 95% of the match.  We need to learn to score farking tries!!!!  More than 2 anyway.

Especially iven the first try was against the run of play and due to an opposition error!

Well some of his tactics have me scratching my head at time, for the people saying Des can't coach and shouldn't have been re-signed, after taking us to a GF TWO game ago, give yourselves a few uppercuts

Kiwi, I am not sure that their is a criticism as such of his coaching abilities but rather the process that he goes through in making decisions in regards to selection processes and game tactics. You may be scratching your head, I am now banging mine into the wall. To 99.9% of supporters they just don't make any logical sense. 

The problem with us is that other teams have improved his year while we have gone backwards. 

Our skill level has not improved since des took over and all we do is try and grind out wins with our defence.  It might have works last year but it won;t this year.

he has to face it that willo and Bryant in particular are not going to cut it in 2008 as they are too slow and lack impact.

As Gordon ramsay would say "**** me this is ****ling ****".

His risk averseness is an achilles heel.  And we're now behind the 8 ball with some tough games coming up.  You would have to say we're (at best) looking at being involved in the logjam of up to 8 sides that will fight for places 5-8. 

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4