Manly vs Rabbids [Round 22 2014]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
EagleFromMay1967 said:
Frog Eyes and Wombat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ElAM7fzjR4

Thank you for those memories mate.

I had such a flashback to being 11 and, as I've said, the '78 heroics sealed me as Manly for life.

Gee Frog-Eyes had some toe!

And a mention of another sleek 3/4 in the late, great Steve Rogers.

What a class-act "Sludge" was too.

Seems to me as a supporter in southern exile that there is a bit of buzz about this game. It really is more fun when we play a traditional rival like Souths in a big match then a jumped up marketing exercise like the Storm.
Pity it is not the Sunday arvo match, which would probably get a better crowd, create better footy and be raise more memories of the SCG clashes of old.

Do we have a PRE-Game watering hole at the SCG to meet at before we
SWOOP in and drag away the vermin carrion?

MANLY coach Geoff Toovey says star pair Steve Matai and Anthony Watmough will be fit for Friday night’s NRL top-of-the-table clash with South Sydney at the SCG.

Watmough had been in doubt with a knee injury, while Matai was concussed in last week’s 16-4 victory over Brisbane.

Winger Jorge Taufua is also expected to make his comeback from an ankle injury after missing the Sea Eagles’ past two outings. Taufua was a late scratching last week but his return leaves the competition pacesetters at near full strength for the heavyweight showdown.
Toovey also allayed fears their fans have seen the last of Glenn Stewart in a Sea Eagles jersey.

Stewart, who has signed for Souths for next NRL season, is struggling to recover from a knee injury he suffered against Canberra in April.
Toovey said while Stewart’s recuperation had been slow, he is expected to be back on deck before the finals.

“He’s a few weeks away, he had a setback a few weeks back, but other than that he’s travelling fine and we’re hopeful he’ll be back before semi-finals,” he said on Thursday.
Captain Jamie Lyon said Stewart was desperate to pull on the maroon and white jersey again and the players want to win the title for him.

“I hope he can get back out there,” Lyon said.

“He’s done some great things for the club and I would love to do it with him again.

“It’s an injury that’s hard to get on top of. He might have tried to come back a bit too hard too early.”

SB may start to 'save' himself for the Rah Rahs.

There were reports when he first signed that the contract was conditional upon his body remaining intact :cool:

SBWurst may also be similar, as he wants the RU World Cup and the Olympics in 2016.
Apparently he is cohosting the Footy Show tonight. :huh:
Lets hope that he has borrowed somebody's personality to fill the void in his charisma :idea:

If the referees apply the rules at the ruck Manly will win. If the referees let Souths walk off the mark and give issac Luke a free run from dummy half the penalties and gaps will follow. Manly will get done over. Having seen referees lately go so far as to actually penalise markers who were walked past by the tackled player I don't hold out much hope.

Watching it now (Robbie Farah's tell-all tale) on the Footy Show.

SBWurst has been OK thus far, tho Beau Ryan helped enormously to make him look like fun!

As for Sammy Boyle (SB) I really hope he plays (no excuses from them if we win) but obviously we'll very likely meet again; maybe even on Grand Final Day.

RiverEagle said:
SBWurst has been OK thus far, tho Beau Ryan helped enormously to make him look like fun!

Interesting when they asked SBW who the best players were in League and he commented there were a few players who could make it in Union, like, you really have to be good to play in that special game.:dodgy:

Does anyone else wonder why they keep blowing his trumpet, he is dumping our code? Has Nine got the rights to Rugby next year?:s

I realise that Rugby League has become a touchy feely love fest where you run over and hug the opposition at game's end after they've just bashed you senseless, but do we have to rest laurels at the feet of those that walk out on us?:huh:

From The Guardian:
A grand final preview?

If you call yourself a footy fan and you can’t get excited about South Sydney and Manly under lights at the Sydney Cricket Ground, it’s probably time to see your doctor. The top two teams in the premiership, the two title favourites, lock horns in what should be an epic encounter that could well be a preview of this year’s grand final. Manly have been the standard-bearers all season and have a veteran side who know nothing but winning. Souths have been oh so close the last two seasons but have not been able to shake the shackles of history. With a wave of rising talent emerging though, the Bunnies have been flying of late and are hoping to ride the youthful energy to their first decider in over four decades. These two sides can pile on the points and they are without peer defensively. This very much has the smell of grand final, and on the sacred turf of the SCG, shapes as the match of the season. All of Sydney should be banging down the gates to get in to what is bound to be an absolute classic.

I will be interested in the crowd figure tonight, and hope as many as possible do get to the SCG in support (for both teams and for a blockbuster!)

If not a definite Grand Final preview, it's a semi-final rehearsal for sure.

Apart from our usual suspects leading the way, I'm really hoping for Josh Starling to stamp his authority even further tonight.

He's proven he's a 1st grader, but I hope he still remembers they (South's) went and imported FOUR Pommie forwards and installed them swiftly ahead of him over there.

A win with an ex-South's pig as MOM tonight will do fine!

(Us just winning will do too, of course).

I don't buy this "the two best teams in the comp."
Manly yes, but not the Rabbids. They may be second on a ladder at present, but for me the Storm and Easts are better teams and have greater chance of reaching the GF.
We should all remember that it takes just one loss in the final series to wreck our 2014 hopes. So much depends on injuries, luck and refereeing.
I think there are five realistic chances to be playing in the the GF: Manly, Melbourne, Easts, Souffs and the Worriers - in that order, with the Dogs having the potential bite (James Graham) if they strike form.

Not in the least excited about this game.

Its a nothing game for us, and bit the same for Souths.

The top teams dont play their trumps against each other at this time of year, preferring to keep their tricks up their sleeves until the important matches roll around.

I expect a one-sided match (plus 12 point margin) but have no idea which way it will go.

I am pumped up at every Manly game . Even the pre season trial games excite me . 2V is a fierce competitor and played to win in every game and he will have the Sea eagles primed up for a good win tonight
GO THE MIGHTY SEA EAGLES !!!!

I wouldnt be suprised at all with a Rabbits victory.
It will be their grand final I reckon and we are due for a loss.
In fact, I think we need a l loss. Cant keep winning forever. (As much as I would like to!)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6