Manly vs NT Titans - 1998

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Hamster Huey

Space Invader
Was rummaging through some Manly stuff and came across the a Match Day Program I'd long forgotten.

Time to reminisce...

Back in 1998 I was living in Darwin and scored a coup with the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles heading to the Top End at the completion of the 1998 season.

The Manly season had been over for a while thanks to the loss of a lot of key players since 1997, getting rubbed out of the finals in the first week by Canberra....the last time Manly would see September action for seven years.

They were to play the NT Titans at Richardson Park, Friday 9th October with an 8pm kickoff.

And geez it was still hot as 10 hot things at that time of night.

I don't recall too much of the action on the night but it was a well organised evening of Rugby League (for Darwin) with a couple of lead in games, one being a womens match. These ladies held nothing back and I'm sure plenty of the Manly boys were hoping they weren't going to back up for the main game.

Both teams played in the right spirit and Manly had three local products run off the bench, joining three other first-graders. Two were picked up for scholarships but never kicked on, perhaps pushed aside once the NE phase began....but I digress.

This was the team that ran out (minus locals) and it's interesting to note the bench;

1. Luke Phillips
2. Albert Torrens
3. Jamie Olejnik
4. Terry Hill
5. Alf Duncan
6. Cliff Lyons
7. Craig Field
8. Jason Lussick
9. Jim Serdaris
10. Adam Peters
11. Anthony Colella
12. Daniel Gartner
13. Nik Kosef

14. Scott Fulton
15. Andrew Hunter
16. Chad Randall

The players spent a good hour out on the pitch after the game, talking with fans and getting a thousand photos with the (big) kids. Cliffy always had a dozen kids wanting to talk to him and get a photo, so he obliged by removing the ciggie from his mouth for every snap taken.

A great night and even moreso within 12 months when we found out that Manly were no longer going to stand-alone in the top grade, our future full of more questions than answers.

Good stuff Hamster, Im in Darwin & remember when they played, tho' I was working out bush at the time. I still have a Territory Titans jersey that I bought when I got back to town.

Top End Eagle said:
Playing in the middle of the build up. Bet they wish they wish they'd thought that through a bit better.

It didn't rain that evening but she was pretty slippery conditions. I'm sure a few bevvies after the game helped with the hydration.

When I was living in Darwin around 1994 or 1995 Manly game up and played Canterbury for an end of season game- it wasn't much of a match, mostly there trying not to get hurt. They were up there to get on the piss and Bozo and Crusher were there pig shooting and fishing.

I think we lost from memory, not sure if anyone else remembers that game.

I have a disc somewhere with Manly v NT on it. I remember Bozo (as coach) came on as a replacement. I still remember a player interviewed by Rex Mossop and he said that they had trouble keeping up with Bozo. NT came out and scored first points. Must look for this game on the weekend.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6