Game Day: Manly v Wests Tigers [Round 2, 2016]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I disagree with a lot of your points there.

1. 2 Hookers can still work, it worked for the Raiders, Broncos and Tigers last week.

In better news....I've finally worked out your avatar.

A Hachiman Hikigaya key chain!

Yay...good for me.

Back on topic:

I don't mind Barrett making a few changes. We'll settle in. It'll take awhile.

1) Trent makes no changes. "Why does Trent keep sticking with the same team....useless!!!

2) Trent makes changes. "Why won't Trent pick and stick??? Useless!!!

So er yeah....go Manly!!

It's good to see we have much better depth this year and there are guys who can be promoted from NSW cup. Hopefully this is a wake-up call for the guys that they don't just automatically play in first grade each week.

And at least Barrett has made some changes this week. If it was Toovey then it's more than likely he would have stuck solid with last weeks team and we would have been going on about why no changes were made.
Tooves wouldn't have picked last week's team.

I'm thinking that Barrett wants a forward who can pass the ball and connect with our edge players. None of the other fowards have much of a passing game. Our centres saw hardly any ball last week - especially Jamie.

Whilst our halves have to make sure we get the ball to the right players, it takes pressure off when we have a forward who can not only make metres, but can get the ball out wide as well.
Mateo is the only forward Manly has, that passes the ball, since Gifty left @:cool:

Brown did make a couple of telling mistakes on Friday night, but at least he had a go and didn't stop having a go. His metres weren't great but when you're a small back rower running into that well drilled Dogs pack, unless you can evade them (which I think was TB's plan but it didn't work out that way) you're not going to make a lot of ground. Very solid defensively though and with Taupau made a team high 41 tackles.

Green on the other hand spent most of his night hiding out in the three quarters and was a waste of an 80 minute player. Other than less tackles because he played 59 less minutes, Leary matched his metres gained. And he tackled harder. I spotted Green 3 times on Friday nights telecast. When the team was walking out of the sheds before the game, when Kasiano ran over him to score under the posts, and when he got put into half a gap about 10 minutes before half time in front of the Jane Try Stand, though he was quickly rounded up. After that I only knew he was there because Sterling joked to Fatty near the end of the game about Manly having a red headed back rower again (Note to Peter Sterling: Tom Symonds).

For mine:
* Leary should be starting alongside Taupau in the NRL second row, not in NSW Cup.
* Jake I have no problem with at lock because these days lock is played as a 3rd prop. And if it means he plays more minutes then good, he goes better that way.
* I like the inclusion of Starling and BJ, but I think we'd be much better off having Vave in NSW Cup and Lussick I think can feel a bit hard done by there.
* Brown would be my bench utility and Green can go figure out how to play 2nd row in the reserves.
* I probably would start Parcell in front of Api. I like Api, I think he's a good hooker. But I believe Parcell is better.
* I think Wiliame might be on his last chance (I wish last week was). Stuff up this week and Snake or no Snake in the team, its back to the Cup for you.

Mateo is the only forward Manly has, that passes the ball, since Gifty left @:cool:

I disagreed only because I have seen Jake Trbojevic do a fair bit of passing, and he's not bad. That actually might be one of the reasons that Barrett has moved him to lock this week. The guy is more than just a tackling machine and battering ram.

Wasn't coach Taylor the one last year saying it's a shame they only get to play weak teams like Manly the once whilst other teams get to play Manly twice?

I'm pretty sure it was.

Hoping for a smash a thon Manly style on them this weekend! buggers

I disagreed only because I have seen Jake Trbojevic do a fair bit of passing, and he's not bad. That actually might be one of the reasons that Barrett has moved him to lock this week. The guy is more than just a tackling machine and battering ram.
Jake is coming along in his offloads, but Manly's second phase play has been woeful for years due to our lack of ball playing forwards. :cool:

Dogs are full of them:confused:

Dogs are full of something. Might be all that raw meat from the pet food store :p

I can hear the Wolfman howling now......;)

Lussick back where he belongs, hope he isn't chewing up too much of our cap.
Leary can feel hard done by, can't wait till Buher is back to push lemon brown out.
Hopefully Stewart is back, Tom t was quoted as saying he would be back this week
Knowing this gronk Barrett he will probably pick his fellow gronk brown over bruher

Jake is coming along in his offloads, but Manly's second phase play has been woeful for years due to our lack of ball playing forwards. :cool:

Yeah I will agree on that point and it does go back to your previous point about that lack of a forward with skills since Gifty. Hopefully Jake proves to be the answer at lock. I think he can do it.

It also shows just how much we've missed Ferris.

Personally I think our strongest and most skillful pack would be:

8. Star, 9. Parcell, 10. Nate, 11. Ferris, 12. Taupau, 13. Jake. With Brown, BJ, Feleti, Lussick (or Api/Leary) on the bench.

Last edited:
When Barrett was first appointed as coach I was excited and optimistic. I suspect if my posts were trawled you would find me suggesting he would prove to be a great coach. I retract all of those statements and now express my panic that we have a dud rookie on our hands who is fumbling around in the dark like a virgin on their first big night in the sack.

Personally, I just can't get rid of the feeling that TB kinda looked after the recruits from his previous clubs (St Merge, Sharks and Riff) by selecting them last week and without trying to look like he knows he got it wrong, he's tweaked it a bit here and there this week.

I don't think he's got it quite right yet. The wrong guys (Leary and Lussick) have been dropped when it should have been Green and Vave.

The only way I can explain Wiliame is that Snake was expected to be ok last week and Barrett went with him at the last moment because he has some experience, though none of it has been good so far.

When Barrett was first appointed as coach I was excited and optimistic. I suspect if my posts were trawled you would find me suggesting he would prove to be a great coach. I retract all of those statements and now express my panic that we have a dud rookie on our hands who is fumbling around in the dark like a virgin on their first big night in the sack.

Pretty harsh after one round.

I'm yet to be sold on the new coach ( and team) but I'm guessing we have to give them all more than one round.

Let's have this conversation in about 5 or 6 weeks time.

Personally, I just can't get rid of the feeling that TB kinda looked after the recruits from his previous clubs (St Merge, Sharks and Riff) by selecting them last week and without trying to look like he knows he got it wrong, he's tweaked it a bit here and there this week.

I don't think he's got it quite right yet. The wrong guys (Leary and Lussick) have been dropped when it should have been Green and Vave.

The only way I can explain Wiliame is that Snake was expected to be ok last week and Barrett went with him at the last moment because he has some experience, though none of it has been good so far.
I agree 100%. I just can't get my head around carrying an extra hooker, when hooker is generally accepted as a 40 minute player. Barrett's strategy is effectively reducing us to 7 interchanges which is a killer at this level.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4