MANLY V WARRIORS @ SFS SAT 7:45pm

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hard to get a decent read of form on a game involving the Roosters. They are poo, with a capital P. Easily the worst side in the 8 (apart from Canberra maybe) on current form. They had all the ball in the first half and were all over the Warriors, but couldn't close the deal. Had to rely on a bullS**t penalty try (does anyone else think he pressed the wrong button ? Penalty Try instead of No Try Penalty) to get the go ahead points.

When the tables were turned in the second half the Warriors made the most of their opportunities and ran out easy winners with the lions share of possession. Notes on the Warriors from what I've seen the last two weeks

* Love the quick roll out of dummy half and utilise their small players well to backpedal the defence up the field. Got to try and slow the play the ball down if we can, and markers and A defenders have to get set early if possible.
* Have a lot of small players (Henderson, Fien, Rovelli, Hohaia) who handle the ball alot and sniff around the ruck. Our big forwards have to be wary of them and make sure of their footwork in defence. Plenty of cover on the inside.
* They play an adlib style and thrive on keeping the ball alive. We must lock up the ball in tackles and shut them down to frustrate their opportunities.
* Their kicking game isn't great. They like the kick to Vatuvei's wing so we need to help out Wolfman.
* Witt is in good goal kicking form, so that is a plus to them in a tight contest.
* Price and Wiki are masters at chewing up metres, but I think we can match them with Kite, Perry and hopefully an increasingly match fit King.
* Ropati is a similar player to Matai, lot of work out of dummy half and pretty solid in defence.

They don't have a lot of structure and play a bit loose. I think we should have the discipline and defense to shut them down and frustrate them into mistakes. Tupou made some inroads on the fringes tonight, so if Choc's hands are on song he should be able to carve up. I just hope Orfords kicking game is on like last week, if it is we will be right. They have momentum and are playing on emotion, we take that away from them with some early points and I think they will fold. Pretty confident we have them covered if we turn up to play.

I probably prefer the Warriors to Easts, should be a cracker of a game. I think we'll beat them but the way they're coming off their line in defence is scary.
Hopefully the Broncos can get up tommorow, Easts and Storm out in straight sets would be perfect:)

We'll rip them apart on the edges.  Lyon and Chock will have a field day.  It's unbelievable that Orford has to wear a big-game choker tag while Anasta is running around. 

I predict we win by 20.

Every time we play the warriors Des has every froward running at Witt because he is a turnstyle in defence and showed it again last night. 

Hopefully it will be hot next Saturday as the warriors big forwards will struggle in the heat.  A good kicking game from drawford is also needed to slow their big guys down.  It is a pity the game isn't on at 3.00 pm. 

C&C, no doubt at all on the penalty try for me, correct call. Mini was reaching down to grab the ball, would have gotten it, but Hohaia took his leading arm away from him

The big forwards thing is a bit of a myth these days for the Warriors, our forward pack will probably be a lot larger

Is a bloody horrible week for me, with 2 outcomes at the opposite end of each other. Win, and i can rip the boys apart all summer, lose, and my summer will be very, very long and hard

Well i think it is going to be a lot closer than what everyone thinks. Any forward pack with Price and Wiki in it needs to be respected. Finally Kite will make himself the #1 forward in the eyes of all judgers!

Manly 20 - Warriors 16. With warriors scoring @ the 66th minute mark as the last scorers. MOTM Lyon after setting up the game winning  try for Brett Stewart and tackling there backline into submission. Or if the australia selectors have there way, K Hunt for his work on the girl in the bar.

We have the game to beat them easily.  Anasta and Pierce, two overrated wankers.  Their coach is useless, dumb and one dimensional.  Mini is a skeleton of his former self.  O'Meley and the other old bald man, way to aged to keep up.  We'll score where the rorters couldn't, and put the warriors to sleep by half time just like the final against the cowgirls last year.  .   

I'm glad we're playing the Warriors.  We'll be the enemy though - everyone will be cheering for them, the fairytale side. 
Kite and Perry vs Price and Wiki - that's about the greatest match up ever.  I really like those two guys too.  Will be a cracker of a game.

My guess is they'll target WIlliams with Vatuvei..beard battle!

they played on home ground advantage last night. It was obvious.

Makes the questions of the macintyre system very valid.

Can anyone tell me when the NRL emails the code to buy tickets online tomorrow?

I haven't got it yet.......

post from MSE

Ticket Sales today 9 a.m for Members – Sat Semi ....

Buy from Ticketek (General Public can buy from 9 a.m Tuesday). The crowd will be bigger than the Cowboys game and could get 40,000 +.

Manly supporters bays are in 34, 33, 32, 31, 30 and 29 (eastern side concourse) …

Cat 1 tickets: Bay 32 - 34
Cat 2 tickets: Bay 31
Cat 3 tickets: Bay 29 - 30

** Cat 1
Adult $60
Concession $45
Family $180 (= $45 per person) – buy family tickets were you can with 4 in a group.

** Cat 2
Adult $45
Concession $30
Family $130 (= $32.50 per person)

** Cat 3
Adult $30
Concession $20
Family $85 (= 21.50 per person)

Plus there are $10 special tickets behind the post (special bay limited to 500 tickets).

Last year ‘Bay 35’ right on the half way line became a Manly bay with so many Manly fans buying tickets – want the same this year; Bay 35 at least 80% Manly.

Wary Hasler saw Warriors coming long ago

Greg Prichard | September 22, 2008
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/wary-hasler-saw-warriors-coming-long-ago/2008/09/21/1221935451710.html

MANLY coach Des Hasler said it before the Sea Eagles played St George Illawarra in the first week of the finals series, when he dismissed his team's poor record against the Dragons as meaningless. Now, as the Sea Eagles prepare to play the Warriors, against whom they have mostly enjoyed success in recent years, he is saying it again. Hasler is nothing if not consistent.

The Dragons had won seven of their previous eight clashes with the Sea Eagles, but Hasler was adamant that didn't represent a negative for his team going into a finals match. Manly proved him right, winning 38-6. Now, having had the second weekend of the series off, Manly will play the Warriors at the SFS on Saturday. The Sea Eagles have won four of their past five against them. "The same rule applies," Hasler said. "We can't take anything for granted against the Warriors, the same as we didn't let our record against the Dragons affect our thinking. Finals footy is a totally different type of battle. The games earlier this year, the games last year, they don't mean anything now."

Strictly speaking, the fantastic run of form the Warriors are enjoying began in round 16, when they had a 28-26 away win over Wests Tigers. But significant improvement had actually been registered in the previous round, when they were very competitive in a 20-14 loss at home to Manly. The Warriors have won 10 of their past 12 games, to be among the last four teams standing, and Hasler has great respect for them.

"I've been watching them very closely over the last few weeks," he said last night. "They've got momentum, which is obviously very important at this end of the season. They've tightened up in defence - their attitude is clearly very good there - and they've got plenty of self-belief. [Ruben] Wiki, [Steve] Price and [Brent] Tate are very experienced players who are in great form, and their little men are all playing really well, particularly out of dummy half.

"[Wade] McKinnon will come back at fullback [after suspension] for them against us, and [Lance] Hohaia will probably go back to the bench. That's a very solid side, but the focus, for us, has still got to be on making sure we get our own game right."

Hasler went to Campbelltown Stadium yesterday to watch Manly's NSW Cup team play in a finals game against Balmain Ryde.

Second-rower Adam Cuthbertson was not named for Manly but played to get some game time in case Hasler wants to use him against the Warriors. Cuthbertson, who has played 21 first-grade games this term, was 18th man against the Dragons, so did not play at all that weekend.

"I wanted to have a look at a few guys, and Adam was one of those," Hasler said. "He needed to get out there and have a run. He played about 60 minutes and did well, so he'll come into calculations for the Warriors game. We'll weigh it all up during the week."

Michael Bani, who was a regular first-grader before being injured and losing his spot to David Williams, played at fullback in yesterday's game. He would have been the obvious replacement had either Williams or winger Michael Robertson been hurt at any stage of the finals series. But Bani himself was injured again yesterday.

"Bani hurt his shoulder. It looks like he's gone for the rest of the season," Hasler said. "He hasn't had much luck this year."

Hasler said he was confident Manly centre Steve Bell will overcome a calf injury in time to play the Warriors.

Defence is key to first title: old boys

Glenn Jackson | September 22, 2008
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/defence-is-key-to-first-title/2008/09/21/1221935451689.html

THE New Zealand Warriors have been rated better premiership prospects than the 2002 model by two of the stars who helped the club to its maiden grand final that year.

Stacey Jones and Jerry Seu Seu - who played crucial roles in helping the side to the decider, where they fell 30-8 to the Sydney Roosters - said yesterday the current Warriors' defensive superiority made them better equipped to win the club its first premiership.

"If they are a better defensive team than we had, it does make them better equipped," said Jones, the Warriors' former halfback. "Our team back then had a bit more flamboyance. Guys could throw it around a bit more. But that doesn't win premierships. Defence is when you're desperate, and this team's got that."

After beating the Roosters 30-13 in Auckland on Friday, the Warriors face Manly in the second preliminary final, at the SFS this Saturday. A win will give them the chance to at least equal their 2002 feat.

"Just looking back, Kevin Campion was the only bloke that made a lot of tackles [in 2002]," Jones said. "These guys now have [Ian] Henderson, [Micheal] Luck, [Simon] Mannering … all guys who do a lot of work.

"Defensively they're so strong. They make it tough for teams to get over the try line. I don't know what they've changed, but Melbourne only got two tries at home; [for] the Roosters' two tries, the only way they were able to break the line was through kicks. Any team that is good defensively is going to be a threat."

Asked yesterday about the side's prospects compared with the 2002 squad, coach Ivan Cleary, the fullback in that season's grand final, said: "This team, defensively, is better, and there's probably a bit more balance. But there was a lot of strike power in that side - we played a bit differently then."

Seu Seu increased the expectations surrounding the Warriors, arguing Saturday night's clash was a proxy grand final. "If they can win this week, they'll probably win the comp," the former front-rower said. "The biggest hurdle is Manly."

Asked about the comparisons with the 2002 line-up, he said: "By the way they've been going, and talking to some of them, they're more cohesive. They gel better in defence than we did in 2002. They play for each other a lot more. We had more strike power back in 2002, but they've shown a lot of resilience. They're also playing with a lot of courage and a lot of commitment. I really do think they are better off than we were in 2002."

Cleary would not say yesterday whether he planned to promote Wade McKinnon into the starting side, even though Lance Hohaia has already publicly stated he is willing to accept a demotion to the bench for the good of the team. The fullback is available for selection after serving a three-match suspension for spitting at a linesman.

Seu Seu wants Cleary to start McKinnon off the interchange. "Lance is going that well," he said. "He's a strike force in himself. I wouldn't be surprised if Ivan threw [McKinnon] straight in there, but I'm just worried about his timing. Little things like that don't sound like much, but in semi-finals it can be huge."

Jones admitted McKinnon had to be wary of being targeted by his opposition and officials. "He gives the team a competitive edge, but he'll have to think about what he did," Jones said. "He can't put the team in that situation again because he'll be under the microscope."

Manly captain expects different Warriors

September 21, 2008 - 6:28PM
http://news.leaguehq.com.au/sport/manly-captain-expects-different-warriors-20080921-4ky0.html

Manly skipper Matt Orford claims the surging New Zealand Warriors are a world away from the side the Sea Eagles brushed aside twice earlier this year.

The Warriors booked an NRL preliminary final berth with a 30-13 win over the Sydney Roosters on Friday night, the club's tenth victory from their last 12 matches.

Their last loss prior to the magic run was a 20-14 defeat at the hands of the Sea Eagles at Mt Smart Stadium in round 15.

Manly also handed the Auckland-based side their biggest loss of the season - a 52-6 hammering at Brookvale Oval in round three - but Orford sees little resemblance in that outfit to the one they'll face at the Sydney Football Stadium on Saturday night.

"They're playing the whole 80 minutes now," Orford said.

"I think just with the guys like Steve Price and the halves, they're playing really well.

"And Wade McKinnon will be back as well and he will make a difference.

"They've got a really good mix and balance and know when to throw the football and when to play consistent football."

Warriors coach Ivan Cleary claimed the biggest change in his side had been at the defensive end of the field.

During their last dozen games, the Warriors have held Melbourne to six points (round 20), Brisbane to 12 points, Cronulla to four points and the Roosters to 13.

"Definitely the second half of the year is a far cry from what the start of the year was," Cleary said.

"It is probably just our attitude changed a bit.

"Probably the biggest problem earlier on in the year was our defence.

"We have worked hard at that and the players really took responsibility there."

Cleary is yet to make a decision on what to do with McKinnon, who is available again after serving a three-game suspension, with Lance Hohaia in superb form while filling in at the back.

Hohaia's combination with fellow little men Ian Henderson and Nathan Fien has been pivotal to the Warriors' recent success and Orford said cutting down their impact would be a key for the Sea Eagles.

"They have shown (in the finals) that they're a team that doesn't hold anything back," Orford said.

"They throw the ball around and when a team plays like that with their big skilful guys they're a dangerous footy team.

"The last two times we've been able to stop that and contain that and we have to do that again and we will be in a really good position."

The Warriors will head to Sydney on Thursday night with a clean bill of health, while Manly still have injury concerns over prop Josh Perry (cork) and centre Steve Bell (calf).
© 2008 AAP

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6