Manly v Roosters [Round 16 2013] Discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

niccipops

un echidna spillo mia bevanda
Premium Member
Might as well start early with this as we have the bye next week. Round 16 the Mighty Sea Eagles take on the salary cap exempt chooks, plus the refs and I'll be there to see it live. Big game for us. Would be great if Snake played. Two defensive teams so our attack has to fire to put more points on the board. I see Maloney as their most threatening player. How do we win this?

RE: Manly v Roosters

Mark from Brisbane said:
On current form we will lose this 30-28
Haha. Hope you're wrong. Are you guys going and if so, where are you sitting?

niccipops said:
Might as well start early with this as we have the bye next week. Round 16 the Mighty Sea Eagles take on the salary cap exempt chooks, plus the refs and I'll be there to see it live. Big game for us. Would be great if Snake played. Two defensive teams so our attack has to fire to put more points on the board. I see Maloney as their most threatening player. How do we win this?

Nicci. I think this and the Souths game will determine Manly's position at the end of the year, whether in the four or an also ran in the 8.

I've said before one of Manly's primary attacking issues is lack of variety and predictability. Other teams know to close down Lyon and Matai because they know that's where most attack is directed. 2V must juggle Ballin and Buehrer in the hooking position and have Buehrer go out there with a carte blanche to attack from dummy half over and over again. They wont be expecting this from a Manly side that tends to use the centre only for battering zone forwards. They've got speed there in Lawrence and Symonds and if given space there they could create havoc.

I would also promote Sao. Time we had a bit of skill back in the front row.

If Brett is back, drop Wolfie and put Hiku on the wing. Have Taufua and Matai switch places from time to time. Taufua is one of the most consistent line breakers. We need to use that skill.

But I would firstly attack SC up the guts where they'll least expect it with Buehrer scampering through then either CE or Foran following up quickly to scoop up the next play.

I would also introduce more criss cross moves. Symonds and G. Stewart are crabbing too much and we need players such as Taufua, Matai and Hiku running angles off them with B. Stewart, CE and Foran in support. The pressure may then be off Lyon a lot more

But variety in attack is what is most important. I believe we have the backline to win the game, just need them to have room and innovation to break the line.

Bearfax said:
If Brett is back, drop Wolfie and put Hiku on the wing.
I agree with everything except for dropping Wolf. He's been solid for us. Maybe use Hiku as a strike attacking player from the bench to interchange with Wolf and Snake if necessary. Otherwise your plan is great. Think you should email it to Tooves.

Mark from Brisbane said:
On current form we will lose this 30-28

Expecting Manly to score 5 tries from kicks? Bit tough with Topou and RTS on the wings.

Well from what i have heard, snake should be back for the chooks game. That is 8 weeks at that point. (I realise snake takes a while to heal).

Lets not forget that maloney and pearce have a 5 day turn around from origin at suncorp (always a tough game for NSW).

I think we will be hungrier than the chooks. That loss cuts to the bone and we understand the importance of stepping up.

Hiku is definitely outshining Wolf at this point. Wolf's finishing and handling is down on previous years.

MWSE said:
Hiku is definitely outshining Wolf at this point. Wolf's finishing and handling is down on previous years.
Wolf's defence team states that apart from a few forgivable errors he's landed some great tries for us in 2013.

Most attack these days is a bomb to the wing, so unless you are tall and can jump high it's very difficult to be an NRL winger.
Even the greatest winger in Australian RL history, Ken Irvine, wouldn't get a game these days. We'll see more Edrick Lee type wingers... until the NRL decides the game has become boring and changes the rules.
They are taking the enforces out of the game with bans on the shoulder charge, the punch etc.

Not looking forward to this game. We will get pumped, I hope not but the way we have been playing lately alarm bells are ringing.
The Rorters have another massive forward pack that will be hard to stop. Rorters 28 Manly 12.

The Eagle Has Landed said:
Not looking forward to this game. We will get pumped, I hope not but the way we have been playing lately alarm bells are ringing.
The Rorters have another massive forward pack that will be hard to stop. Rorters 28 Manly 12.

We haven't been pumped once this season, can't see why that would start next game

niccipops said:
Bearfax said:
If Brett is back, drop Wolfie and put Hiku on the wing.
I agree with everything except for dropping Wolf. He's been solid for us. Maybe use Hiku as a strike attacking player from the bench to interchange with Wolf and Snake if necessary. Otherwise your plan is great. Think you should email it to Tooves.

In red, if only he would do something. The form problem right now is directly linked to the coach. We make the same errors and give away the same penalties week in week out and we leave blokes on the bench, including not enough minutes for Symonds.

I was a fan of Tooves coaching early, but now I am just shocked by his and our inability to adjust our discipline and style of play. We WILL make the top 8, but after that, a big question mark at the moment.

Only twice all year has the opposition scored more tries than us in a match. Souths did, and the Roosters scored a very lucky try from a kick on the bell to out-score by us two tries to one. Every other match we have equalled or outscored the opposition in tries. Things are nowhere near the doom and gloom some people would have you believe. IMO, Brett Stewart is still our most important player, and to still be in 4th place after having him out for 7-8 weeks is a good effort. I'm confident that Manly will start climbing the ladder once he returns.

bones said:
Only twice all year has the opposition scored more tries than us in a match. South did, and the Roosters scored a very luck try from a kick on the bell to out-score by us two tries to one. Every other match we have equalled or outscored the opposition in tries. Things are nowhere near the doom and gloom some people would have you believe. IMO, Brett Stewart is still our most important player, and to still be in 4th place after having him out for 7-8 weeks is a good effort. I'm confident that Manly will start climbing the ladder once he returns.

I hope you're right Bones, but just humor me and explain to me how Brett being out has caused all of the handling errors, the stupid penalties and has reduced Symonds minutes etc etc.

bones said:
I'm confident that Manly will start climbing the ladder once he returns.

I frigging hope so cause the next few games after The Rorters are bottom 8 teams and if we don't beat them say goodbye to 2013.

The Eagle Has Landed said:
Win lose or draw my first girl and I will be there screaming our lungs out for Manly. We wanted a Brookie match but that doesn't work out during the school hols so we'll go to enemy grounds. I agree it's a tough match but I'm still hopeful. Injuries to key players, suspensions, and vision impaired refs have rocked us this year but the effort has not been missing. Tightening up handling errors is a big one though.
I'm reversing your prediction. Manly 28 Rorters 12.

niccipops said:
Are you guys going and if so, where are you sitting?

There is a dedicated "away' supporters bay at the SFS but sometimes there are special deals for Eagles members so worth waiting to see re tickets? (The away bay is showing sold out on the Ticketek link at the moment but I think that's just because they are maybe not on sale at the moment?)

It won't be a sell out and you'll be OK for tickets - I'll post on here as and when I hear any details and if you are staying on the beaches we'll be looking at running a supporters bus to the game.

Pre-game most people heads to the Entertainment quarter (plenty of parking and a short walk to ground) with the Fox and Lion and Bavarian bier café both being popular venues (And both family friendly)

If we play smart and with discipline and dont beat our selves again . We will beat the Cocks

The rorter will win again if they are allowed to roll around in the ruck ever single play and only kept to 7m max in defence. They are the worse offenders in the league for slowing the play the ball down, I honestly do not know how friend gets away with it all the time. Makes for a very boring game.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6