Manly v Quinns

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Manly: 34
Quinns: 26

Manly Tries: Robertson 2, Bailey, B.Stewart, Lyon, Matai

Manly Goals: Orford 2, Lyon 3

Penalties: 4-4

Manly down 20 nil at half time with the young guys on. Full strength (except Kite) in the second half and Manly were unstoppable.

1st half:
Robertson, Williams, Watmough, Neumann, Sinuala, Foran, Hodkinson, Morwood, Lestrange, Jared Waerea Heargraves, Cutherbertson, Rodney

2nd half is:

Stewart, Williams, Matai, Bailey, Robertson, Lyon, Orford, King, Ballin, Kite, Watmough, Stewart, Hall

Eagles hit back to stun Quins
Aussie stars recover to clinch warm-up win

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12196_4960307,00.html

Manly Sea Eagles warmed up for next Sunday's World Club Challenge with a 34-26 victory over Harlequins at the Stoop, but required a second-half fightback to do so.

Manly coach Des Hasler started with an experimental line-up and it showed as the Super League side raced into a 20-0 lead inside the first half hour.

But Hasler brought on his big guns after the break and the Australians ran-in a total of six tries to score an emphatic success in the end.

Jon Wells opened the scoring in the sixth minute following a kick-through from Danny Orr and eight minutes later skipper Rob Purdham crashed over.

Almost immediately the hosts were back on the offensive and a Will Sharp break allowed Chad Randall to cross.

And although Manly began to come into the game more, Quins extended their advantage when Luke Dorn raced onto a clever Purdham kick to cross under posts before half-time.

But with skipper Matt Orford, Jamie Lyon and Brett Stewart brought off the bench the Aussies looked a different side after the turnaround.

Orford immediately orchestrated the first score with a perfectly weighted cross kick which Michael Robertson latched on to before touching down, and he quickly doubled up as Manly started to eat into the lead.

And although Jamie O'Callaghan went down the other end to score Harlequins' fifth try of the day, the tourists had the bit between their teeth and quick-fire tries from David Williams and Brett Stewart narrowed the gap to just four points.

Quins defence was buckling under the strain and it was almost inevitable when Lyon dived over following some fine passing and Steve Matai scored a sixth in the dying moments to seal the win.

The NRL champions will now have a further week to acclimatise before taking on Super League champions Leeds Rhinos at Elland Road.

ROBERTSON AT THE DOUBLE
http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rleague/09/02/22/manual_172438.html

Michael Robertson crossed for two tries as Manly prepared for the World Club Championship by squeezing past a determined Harlequins at the Stoop.

But it required a second-half fightback from the first-choice 13 after an experimental line-up trailed 20-0 at the interval.

Manly, who had seen their squad suffer bouts of flu during the week, elected to start with a number of fringe players and debutants, and were hit by a Harlequins burst of three tries in a 10-minute spell early in the first-half.

After six minutes Jon Wells profited from a Danny Orr kick to canter over after Matt Gafa had been held up over the line.

Eight minutes later quick thinking saw skipper Rob Purdham crash over, and straight from the restart a Will Sharp break allowed Chad Randall to cross.

Manly were struggling to find any rhythm, and it took them until the half-hour mark to trouble the home line.

There was still time for the Londoners to add to their lead before the interval, Luke Dorn racing on to a clever Purdham kick to stroll under the posts. Orr was successful with the conversion.

Manly coach Des Hasler shook things up at the break and elected to unleash his side's big guns, with skipper Matt Orford, Jamie Lyon and Brett Stewart coming off the bench.

Orford had an immediate impact with a perfectly weighted cross kick which Michael Robertson claimed to score.

Robertson was on hand seconds later to cross for his second as the Australians ate into the Quins lead.

Jamie O'Callaghan touched down to increase Quins' advantage but the Sea Eagles had their tails up and quick-fire touchdowns by David Williams and Brett Stewart narrowed the gap to just four points.

The pressure finally told 10 minutes from time when some great hands allowed Lyon to dive over.

Steve Matai crossed in the final moments to seal the victory.

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
Manly: 34
Quinns: 26

Manly Tries: Robertson 2, Bailey, B.Stewart, Lyon, Matai

Manly Goals: Orford 2, Lyon 3

Penalties: 4-4

Manly down 20 nil at half time with the young guys on. Full strength (except Kite) in the second half and Manly were unstoppable.

1st half:
Robertson, Williams, Watmough, Neumann, Sinuala, Foran, Hodkinson, Morwood, Lestrange, Jared Waerea Heargraves, Cutherbertson, Rodney

2nd half is:

Stewart, Williams, Matai, Bailey, Robertson, Lyon, Orford, King, Ballin, Kite, Watmough, Stewart, Hall

BE did Kite play ???

Also interesting to see Bailey in the line up at centre and Lyon at 5/8.
Great result for the guys!

index.php

LONDON - FEBRUARY 22: Andrew Suniula (C) of Manly Sea Eagles gets tackled by Rob Purdham of Harlequins RL during the London Rugby League Challenge game between Harlequins RL and Manly Sea Eagles at the Stoop on February 22, 2009 in Twickenham, England. (Photo by Phil Cole/Getty Images)

index.php

LONDON - FEBRUARY 22: Health L'Estrange of Manly Sea Eagles during the London Rugby League Challenge game between Harlequins RL and Manly Sea Eagles at the Stoop, on February 22, 2009 in Twickenham, England. (Photo by Phil Cole/Getty Images)

index.php

LONDON - FEBRUARY 22: Adam Cuthbertson of Manly Sea Eagles gets tackled by Chad Robinson of Harlequins RL during the London Rugby League Challenge game between Harlequins RL and Manly Sea Eagles at the Stoop, on February 22, 2009 in Twickenham, England. (Photo by Phil Cole/Getty Images)

index.php

LONDON - FEBRUARY 22: Chad Randall of Harlequins RL during the London Rugby League Challenge game between Harlequins RL and Manly Sea Eagles at the Stoop, on February 22, 2009 in Twickenham, England. (Photo by Phil Cole/Getty Images)

Just got back from the game; my one and only chance to be a roving reporter for the forum for the year, so here's the lowdown:

Bailey played 6 in the 2nd half (when Dessie got serious in preparing for the Rhinos game.) Lyon at right centre. Bailey did ok, obviously needs some time there to start fitting in. I hope it's worth pushing Lyon further out and off the ball. Very solid defender though; no problems there.

Matai came up clutching his neck again from a tackle; the more things change.... went on to be very dangerous thoughout the half; suggest Des hit him with a shovel before sending him out in the event he ever is injury free..

Watmough was playing out in the centres in defence off the scrum (??!!)
Kite wasn't playing, btw.

From the first half probables squad; George Rose worked hard; Cuthbertson ditto and was the most dangerous forward; Suniula looks very promising on the wing. The halves couldn't really show much. Lots of dropped ball and sluggish play.
When the A team came on their speed, power and attacking penetration were a rude shock for the quins. Some scintillating execution in a couple of the tries. Leeds rhinos should be a different proposition though.

comedy relief: the ground announcer (clearly a rugby man): Jaimie Lyon as Jaimie Leon (or 'Lyon' as in the French city); Michael Robertson = Roberts; Steve Matai = Mattau

I put some pics up here
http://s675.photobucket.com/albums/vv114/pcroga01/Manly%20v%20Quins%20Feb09/

eg:
[img=400x266]http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv114/pcroga01/Manly%20v%20Quins%20Feb09/DSC00491.jpg[/img]
[img=400x266]http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv114/pcroga01/Manly%20v%20Quins%20Feb09/DSC00488.jpg[/img]
[img=400x266]http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv114/pcroga01/Manly%20v%20Quins%20Feb09/DSC00494.jpg[/img]

Mate great report thanks for that!

That new Jersey looks alright and holy crap hopw much beefier does Glenn Stewart look?

Getting out to the Leeds game?

It was a pleasure; after attending the last 3 losing GFs I've officially banned myself from being present at any important games (taking the exceptional step of leaving the country) so it was good to see the guys put on a show. Can't get up to Leeds next weekend (and see above).

Beefy Stewie, sounds like a new nickname; and that was after a bout of gastro.
Neumann is another player who looks a lot more solid.

DSM5; sorry I don't think I could id the club directors by sight, which is how I hope things stay. maybe someone should lose them in the wrong area of Leeds next week.....we could start afresh...

I was going to start a new topic but i'll just ask here:  What does everyone think of the new jersey?  
From another pic i saw in smh it's pretty hard to see the white hoops, especially with the Quantum logo, which seems to taking up a huge chunk of space.
I'll still buy one though..

it looks like a mixture of the 50's v one and a Northern Eagles Jersey.

Though in some pics it looks pretty good

DSM5 link said:
Were our directors at the match and more importantly, did they all sit together?
hahahah your ****en nob albeit half amusing
whats next do u wanna know if they were holding hands and singing the club song :)

Ian Martin, could you say a little more about Bailey at 5/8.  I like to think he could be a 5/8 in the Alan Thompson mold.  Hard straight running, rather than a catch and pass.  Did he look like that?  And who played lock?  And how did Hall go?  

here's a closer pic of the jersey from the back; its ok but all are judged against the 87 one.
[img=400x266]http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv114/pcroga01/Manly%20v%20Quins%20Feb09/DSC00500.jpg[/img]

and re. bailey; yes he ran the ball a bit, but mainly by default as it were. he was starting behind the ruck and then drifting right behind a decoy or 2, then trying to do some ball playing, but mostly running. Ox was taking the plays on the left side. So bailey was heading toward lyon's/stewart's side. I see a potential problem there (too many chiefs). But again, it's way too early. they did score some good tries down that side so ball movement was good when it needed to go wide quickly.

Stewart played lock. Hall was all bullocking runs as per usual; the backrow is looking good imho.
ps. thanks for calling me Ian Martin, but tragically I am only the tragic coattail

pps. alan thompson 'hard straight running'? do you mean the 2nd rower allan thompson from the late 1960s-1972? the later alan thompson could certainly make a break with his big right foot step, but he had a ****hot passing game too.

No I mean the later Thompson who played inside Fulton.  Coached us for a year I think and got shafted by the Fulton clique.  I did like the 2nd rower Thompson though as well, big and strong.  I'm a big fan of Hall, old school, running straight and hard.  A real genuine club player.
So can you put up your preferred side for the CC on that showing?

Yes the Alan Thompson scapegoating was a sad episode at Brookie.

And Allan Thomson (I think); he was a bloody hard nut from up Newcastle way; he tackled like a low flying missile....

okay here's a team;
Stewart
Wolfman (but time to get his head together; responsible for 3 quins tries with stupid errors)
Matai
Neuman
Lyon
Orford
Stewart
Hall and Watmough
Perry, Ballin, King
+
Cuthbertson, Rose, Le Strange, Bailey

I am not sold on Bailey at 5/8 yet, though this time last year I was crying out for Lyon to be shifted back to the centres, and how wrong I was proven on that!

I think the Bailey experiment will go on, and fair enough. He's clearly a good player. But this is a 'final' and I would be going for a proven halves combo for it.

Did Neuman play that well?  I've posted on this site my concerns re Wolfie with Bell having to clean up his errors.  I assume your team has Robbo on the wing.  From what you saw what does the first half say about our depth this year?  How did Georgie go? Any lateral movement out of the big guy?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7