Game Day: Manly v Penrith [Round 14, 2016]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Well, forget about Steve Matai playing this week.....or the rest of the season it would appear.

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2016/06/09/key_player_to_miss_r.html
Lets be honest Matai has had a shoulder and neck problem for the last 3 years ! Surely the medical staff should have known this and the Club advised not to resign him. Don't get me wrong I think he is or was a fantastic footballer who gave his all but if the guy is constantly injured with the same injury his contract should not have been renewed !Sad to say but we needed to bite the bullet here.

Hindsight is a perfect thing isn't it. Reality is that we should have let Skivy go to the Warriors when the opportunity first arose (2013 or 2014 I think).

Look, of our 3 backline veterans the sad thing is that Skivy was the one who was actually playing well this year. But his body was sounding the alarm, the air raid siren and 3 minute warning 2 or 3 years ago.

Hindsight is a perfect thing isn't it. Reality is that we should have let Skivy go to the Warriors when the opportunity first arose (2013 or 2014 I think).

Look, of our 3 backline veterans the sad thing is that Skivy was the one who was actually playing well this year. But his body was sounding the alarm, the air raid siren and 3 minute warning 2 or 3 years ago.
He still made the hit of the season last year .....

Hit of the season last year.....and not much else I'm afraid. After a very good 2014 he had an average 2015 and has had a decent but mostly injured 2016.

I love Skivy as a player, don't get me wrong there. But we could see his busted body was a liability 3 years ago.

Liam Knight, perhaps as soon as Sunday afternoon, is poised to become known for something other than claiming the worst driving offence in NRL history.

Not for the first time, Knight's immediate future is in the hands of others. The Manly forward is within reach of a first-grade debut after being named as part of a five-man bench against Penrith. Whether he makes the cut depends on how several injured teammates pull up from from fitness tests, while the salary cap auditor will also have a say in the matter.

1465457710728.jpg

Close to his NRL debut: Manly forward Liam Knight. Photo: Mark Kolbe

The season is only at the halfway point and already the Sea Eagles have been forced to use 27 players, such is the injury toll. This has placed a strain on the club's second-tier salary cap, meaning special dispensation will be required for Knight to become the 28th. Their injury woes worsened on Thursday with Steve Matai ruled out for the rest of the year with a neck problem.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...y-cap-mess-20160609-gpfj4h.html#ixzz4B4JhKs90
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

My prediction?: Manly 42- Penrith 41
Manly penalty on the bell from a Penrith player running back on side accidently tripping over Walker who is running backwards in defense.
Walker MOM for metres gained for Penrith.
NYEagle
Hahahaha can't stop laughing.We couldn't score 42 points in 3 games little less one.

Good way to screw us some more, dont allow us to use any players not in the top 25 due to cap issues.

I mean it's not like we are cheating we are just ****ed with injuries.

Good work Toggy, keep your mates happy and don't give a **** about Manly.

Who runs the team around the park with no DCE and Killer?

Who runs the team around the park with no DCE and Killer?
looks like its going to have to be Api & Parcell ... I would move snake to 5/8 & Will I Am to fullback ... let snake do some organising ... Make him get involved ... he does/did have good hands

Last edited:
Simple game plan needed - the Penrith pack can bend defensively, allowing massive momentum - this Manly team is essentially a running team with Parcell/Walker & Api the boys to bring it home to get the vital 2 points.
Need to get out quick off the back of AFB & Vave in particular & cash in on Jake & Myles offloads - particularly Parcell/Walker & Api.
Hit Tom with early ball - particularly if a 1 on 1 is there - even early in the tackle count.
The Panthers have Cartwright & Moylan as danger men who need to be checked all day & young Cleary - though a potential gun - is still vulnerable to the pressure of NRL if Manly are willing to apply it...
Kick away from Mansour (when Possible) & the Merrin/Cartwright offloads where Penrith often build attack from 2nd phase.
The other player to stay alert on defensively is Peachey who can create headaches against a lazy retreating defence but prone to error (like most tricksters) when the heat is applied.
Really can't see Manly losing if they commit with intent here with a Penrith side who have built most wins in recent times from the spine of Segeyaro & Soward - who's kicking game has been key to their success.
Yes they still have a handful of brilliant attacking players, but leak points easily & are vulnerable against any team who shows upbeat aggression & shut down those KEY players.
Manly by 10

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6