Manly v Parra - a parra fans perspective

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Shaka1eye

Reserve Grader
Having a read on the slimes forum and found this post. Must say I found it a highly enjoyable read.

Which of these two clubs has the brightest future?

When you polish a turd, you still have a turd !

Manly will remain consistently a BETTER club than Parramatta over the long term, and therefore will have the brightest future.

I HATE to say this, but that is the truth.

Manly, to their credit, when faced with adversity, understand how to "circle the wagons" - consolidate and then rebuild to success - where as Parra - when faced with similar adversity - implode and disintegrate.

Here's proof

Manly, after a sustained period of success from 1990-1997 - semi-final's every year as well as a Premiership began to fall apart in 1998 - finishing 10th - 1999 13th and then with their FUTURE in the NRL at stake FORCED a merger with the North Sydney Bears - becoming the Northern Eagles - ensuring survival. Even though the Northern Eagles was a failure (finishing 12th 10th and 9th) between 2000-2002 - but it provided Manly with a last minute life line.

And this is what they did - Manly showed a ruthless appetite to survive "at all costs" by destroying the North Sydney Bears and vanquishing them to RL obscurity forever.

Rescued themselves in 2003 when the joint venture collapsed and Manly retained the Northern Eagles licence for the 2002 season until returning to the competition as Manly for the 2003 season. The 2003 and 2004 were failures finishing 14th and 13th .

A meeting of the Football Club in 3 June 2004 saw the club members vote for the privatisation of the Football Club.

Since then - The club improved its playing stocks for 2005, and reached the semi-finals for the first time since 1998. Manly have not missed the finals since, whilst every other club have missed the finals at least once since 2004.

Since 2005 - this has been Manly's REMARKABLE comeback record 2005 8 (semi's) 5th 2nd 1st 5th 8th 1st 4th 4th 2nd.

There are 2 things that I admire about Manly - they'll do ANYTHING to win and they have scouting and talent evaluators that are in the very ELITE level. I believe the clubs with EQUAL scouting and talent evaluators are Roosters, Storm and Dogs make up the BIG 4.

Manly understands not only how to WIN but also how to rebuild through scouting - something Parra has NEVER understood - this is why Manly will ALWAYS have a brighter future than Parra - despite the shiny new stadiums. Manly has also remained fairly stable at Board Level as well. This cannot be undersestimated

Simply put, Manly is a better run club (on so many levels) than Parra.

But I still HATE THEM......admire them, yes, respect them yes - but hate then all the same.

..........and now for Parra

Since 1947 (the same year BOTH Manly and Parra entered the competition) Parra has won MORE wooden spoons than any other Team - Manly has NEVER won the spoon.

Forget the wooden spoon for a moment - In 68 years Parramatta has finished near the bottom of the table 32 times. That's 47% of the time Parra is absolutely awful

1947-1966 (20 seasons) 10 Teams - bottom 4 or worse 13 years
1967-1981 (15 seasons) 12 Teams - bottom 4 or worse 5 years
1982+ (33 seasons) - at least 14 Teams - 10th or worse 14 years

Now the good news - here is Parramatt's semi final years

Semi finals success, Parra has had 26 seasons of 68 with semi finals football or 38%

1947-1972 top 4 (26 seasons) 5 years with a semi finals appearance / Manly had 12
1973-1994 top 5 (22 seasons) 11 years with a semi finals appearance/ Manly had 18
1995-2014 top 8 (20 seasons) 10 years with a semi finals appearance/ Manly had 13

So what does this tell me ? Parra knows how to WIN but also how to LOSE and shows that Parra will NOT BUILD and does NOT know how to plan for the future. Nearly 50% of the time Parra is right at the bottom end of the ladder.

It is interesting to compare Manly to Parramatta because both appeared in RL at exactly the same year, yet appear to be polar opposites when it comes to Administering the Club, Money, scouting and development of players. Manly are just BETTER than Parramatta in all those areas - this allows them to fail then rebuild quickly. Manly understand how to sustain success. - where Parra has a "rocks and diamonds" existence.

I don't see Manly getting worse in the long term - sure, things are as strange at Manly right now, the first time they have shown any vulnerability since 2004. But I belive their history and pedigree will show that they are able to get out of this and once again go back to their winning ways after weathering the storm.

Parra will have limited success again, probably under BA then crash spectacularly to the bottom AGAIN (like we do) while we figure out how to rebuild.

Poor Club Administration, poor use of money and poor scouting IS WAS and WILL BE the difference between Manly and Parra

You know how many years Manly have been to the semifinals in 68 seasons ?

43 times (63%) as well as TWICE as many GF wins - that's and EXTRA 27 seasons worth - while Manly were playing in those extra 27 seasons of semi final football - guess where Parra was..........in the BOTTOM 4 (as usual)

Probably a better comparison to Parramatta is not Manly but Cronulla - there are far more similarities (except GF success) between these two clubs - BOTH the ROCKS and DIAMONDS experts

Ouch !!!

One of the few things positive I've read on here, from a parra fan no less. Facts not speculations makes a far better read. Nice trolling Shaka1eye. :clap:

I reckon one of the keys to our culture of success has been the knack to develop coaches out of our playing group; especially our recent GF/premiership coaches. They (in most cases) will tough out difficult periods in club history because the club holds value for them. I'm no league historian but off the top of my head I can only name Eels coaches who were introduced to the club as coach.

Of course dropping in a second rate coach who was an ex-player won't work - we've been blessed with the right cattle developed into coaches who can get us to the main game.

I have a good mate who's a Eels fan.Whenever Manly and Parra are playing we'll buy a slab and sit down at his place or mine. We'll usually start early, we've got similar interests so we'll talk a lot, everything gets a bit confusing but we have a great time, sometimes we forget to watch the football...

I have a good mate who's a Eels fan.Whenever Manly and Parra are playing we'll buy a slab and sit down at his place or mine. We'll usually start early, we've got similar interests so we'll talk a lot, everything gets a bit confusing but we have a great time, sometimes we forget to watch the football...

Yeah, those tickle fights can get a bit distracting. @;)

Nice summary. Although it persists with the myth that Manly-Warringah 'destroyed' North Sydney.

The NRL destroyed the bears (I'm a bit pissed, was it the NRL back then??). The wink and a handshake deal to move to Gosford spelt the end for them. That and the weather. I remember it poured rain and they had no hope of finishing Grahame stadium. The NRL (?) couldn't have cared less. The Bears were destroyed, but it wasn't by us.

...A good read.......I especially like the part where he acknowledges their deficiencies in identifying talent.

Hayne is the only player I can think of since their glory days of the 80's that they have developed into a real champion although I always like Hindmarsh. Not flashy, but even when they got toweled up, he always had a go.

On the flip side, they let so many good juniors go. Their fans are always banging on about how they are really Parra players. I say, "Yeah. But that had to leave to become good".

No matter how the Foz scenario plays out.......they will never be on our level. EVER.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4