1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manly Ups The Ante For Carney

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by bones, May 23, 2015.

1. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    From RLW Facebook page 23/5/15

DESPERATE Manly are ready to gamble on exiled playmaker Todd Carney after exhausting all their other options to replace star halves Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran.

Carney now plays for French club Catalans and, despite his long rap sheet, has the class to return to the NRL and dominate games.

RLW has learned that Sea Eagles officials have been in contact with Carney in a bid to lure him back to Australia . . . but there is a hurdle.

Manly would need a clearance from the NRL for the 28-year-old to return home after he was sacked by Cronulla last year – and it is yet to be granted.

Carney’s frustrated manager, David Riolo, is waiting on word from League Central about the possibility of the former Raider, Rooster and Shark coming home.

“He is in limbo because the NRL say you have to come to them with a contract and then they will decide whether to register it,” he says.

“So you can’t get a clear answer from them.

“I could do a deal with a Sydney club and then they could say, ‘No way’.

“I’ve asked them, ‘Can he come home’ and they say, ‘You get a club, lodge a contract and then we will decide’ . . . it makes it very hard.

“Theoretically I can’t negotiate with any clubs as Todd is contracted to Catalans. And he wants to do the right thing by them . . . they have been great to him.

“I can’t understand why the NRL can’t tell us where he stands before you lodge a contract.

“They (Catalans) have looked after him, but he is homesick and there is interest from clubs here – he is a quality player and there are few off-contract playmakers around. Hopefully something will work out.”

[​IMG]

RLW has spoken to Carney in France and the 2010 Dally M Medallist is enjoying his time out of the NRL spotlight, but at the same time is missing his mates and home.

The Sea Eagles thought they had the answer to their prayers in boom Titans youngster Kane Elgey three weeks ago, but he backflipped on a rich deal with the club at the last minute to re-sign with the Gold Coast.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mavin

Mavin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +929 / 43
    So our plan is 2 sign a player who isn't cleared lol. I guess we can put 2 bed the DCE talk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MANLY4LIFE

MANLY4LIFE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +383 / 6
    Makes me think cherrys gone aswell ,if he comes back i hope he is put on a really really short leash !!!

4. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,839 / 103
    It's been 10 years since the words Manly and 'Desperate' were joined.
    Makes you wonder how these hacks would describe clubs that aren't successful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mavin

Mavin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +929 / 43
    I can't see how the nrl could block him they have people playing just out of prison for drug dealing ,people found guilty of indecent assault and others done for domestic violence. Carney for all his stupidity has never as far as I know been involved in that sort of stuff. Whether he is a good fit I'm not sure but not many options left.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Frogz

Frogz Don't mess with the goat, he has photos. Premium Member

Sydney, Australia
    Ratings:
    +1,392 / 36
    No no no no no....keep looking forward with youth, don't go back to this hack. He may have game, but he has considerable baggage.

7. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    Manly have lost the plot if this is true. :cool:

With his injuries and behaviour, Manly need to hire another half to cover his predictable absences anyway :mad:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. sheridanstand78

sheridanstand78 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,308 / 51
    Carney is not my preferred option mostly because he is very injury prone. I just hope the club picks a guy who just wants to play here. That has to be the lesson after the recent mess.

9. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +7,792 / 58
    wait a moment.... a player backflipped????

Surely honour, integrity, future qld origins games, immortal status and threat of a media witch hunt would prevent this!!!?!?!?!?!

Ahhh, wait a mo.....backflipping from Manly. Ok I get it now.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kue

Kue Active Member

Ratings:
    +90 / 8
    It would just be a pay check and a way back into the league/country for Carney.

I can guarantee he has a long ingrained disliking of everything Manly.

Seriously, if Myles was bought to retain Cherry-Evans, fair enough.

If not we are looking at a Manly side with Myles, Mason, Carney, Mateo. Basically a Roosters or Bulldogs type side that infuriates everybody. I swear the Penn's are determined to kill Manly off for whatever reason.

• Dummy Spit Dummy Spit x 1
  11. mozgrame

mozgrame Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,565 / 45
    I've been away for a while. Can someone please tell me why anyone thinks DCE went to the Titans to play with Myles, and why he would backflip and stay here because we have now signed Myles?

DCE is gonski.

12. Earnie the Eagle

Earnie the Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +359 / 16
    I tell you all if Manly sign Carney, Dad will come out of his grave and give the person responsible a new arsehole.

I remember he made it clear to some on here a long time ago to avoid this guy like the plague when there were furphies of him coming to Manly after been sacked by one of the other clubs. He had good inside knowledge on Carney and Toddles sacking by three other clubs proved him right.

Leopards do not change their spots and this leopard should never be allowed to morph into a Sea Eagle.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 5
  13. manlywarringah

manlywarringah Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +889 / 27
    I think the RLW are re-hashing articles like the tele do.

I remember reading most of that a couple of weeks ago when his name first came up. They added in the bit about Elgey staying with the Titans.

It seems he may be our only hope of an experienced, good half if Cherry is going.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +7,792 / 58
    Crikey, you gave me a shock when I saw your post! (the avatar esp)

Hope all is well and hopefully you are now back home safe n sound!

15. All Hail King Lyon

All Hail King Lyon Member

Ratings:
    +89 / 15
    I'm really excited at the prospect of Carney playing for our club! I think he has proven that when given the right coaching off the field he can produce magic on the field. I think his long kicking game will easily fill the gap left by dce (if he does leave) and he has alot to offer for opportunities in the opposition 20! he will give our halves a bit of speed which i think is the only thing our current halves lack. The prencence of legends such as toovs, beaver & bozo around the club will help hopefully help he see how a true superstar should act off the park!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Earnie the Eagle

Ratings:
    +359 / 16
    Not too sure if the people in or from Goulburn, Toddles home town, would agree with you there Mavin,

17. Earnie the Eagle

Ratings:
    +359 / 16
    Apologies mate, should have said hello but I was overcome when I read that Toddles could be linked with us...again. Get in touch with zorba, he played his park footy in Goulburn and knows everything, he could save Manly lol.
    Yes home for good now...never again! Might be a regular here now and its time for a new avatar but I think I will keep the name, it brings some class to the joint.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Mavin

Mavin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +929 / 43
    I'm not saying we should sign him I'm just looking for options at the moment we are going 2 be going into next season with reserve graders pretending 2 be first graders as our half and 5/8.

That's a far cry from what we were promised this is Joe's quote before we lost both halves "Rest assured if players do leave they will be replaced by world class players."

• Like Like x 1
  19. Simonmyers11

Simonmyers11 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,033 / 97
    If DCE leaves, only player I really want to replace him. Know one else out there comes close to carney's skill and game breaking ability. I don't give toss he's had a few issues, all i care about is manly winning games. Watching origin, I hated Myles with a passion, but next year if he does a good job and helps us win games I will be supporting him. If Carney comes and delivers on the field that's all i care about. There has been calls to bring up the youth...what youth? Taylor is talented, but not ready to steer Manly around the park next year, cornish will go ok next to an established half. Trent and Sandow are average, Maloney is set to sign with Rorters. I would be happy for Carney to be playing 5/8 next year.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    Carney does not have those skills that he briefly showed at the Rorters anymore.:cool:

His hammy is worse than Forans - so no long kicking game.

The ESL lack of defense makes him look like a line breaking half - he won't have that back in the NRL.@:cool:

Carney and Sandow - WTF:confused:

The only half that is exciting ATM is Morgan from the Cows.:clap: