Manly to sign back up for Orford?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DVS Matt

Bencher
Read on LU that manly are chasing Trent Hodkinson from Parramatta.

From what i can see, Parra rate him highly!

what position does he play, or are Manly just in it to piss of Fitzgerald

Half back in their Under 20s I believe, may be Scuba or Dareren know him?

half back

"Raised in Campbelltown, Hodkinson came through the Eels development pathway and represented Australian Under 19’s in 2007. Currently three years into a Fire Sprinkler Fitting apprenticeship."

I guess if this is true then we are not pursuing the other Foran brother from the Storm?

What about the U20's number 7?  That Cherry guy?  i thought he and Foran were building a good combination?

I am assuming Ox will be retired in another two seasons so I guess we will need a couple of options anyway.

The Wheel link said:
I am assuming Ox will be retired in another two seasons so I guess we will need a couple of options anyway.

Orford will go to the Uk for a few seasons after he finnishes with Manly as he needs to furnish his block of units.

We might struggle to retain Keiran Foran after his contract expires 2010 if he wants to play with his brother.

JUNIOR Kiwis halfback Liam Foran has called on the Warriors to end their search for a playmaker by signing him.

The 20-year-old comes off contract with the Storm at the end of this season and has been frustrated at playing second fiddle to star halfback Cooper Cronk.
Foran is convinced he's the man to replace the much-maligned Grant Rovelli and lead the Warriors to the promised land.

Foran has been forced to ply his trade in the under-20s side this year but last night he declared to Sunday News he was "ready" to take charge of a first-grade side.
And that side could be the Warriors with revelations the club has been in talks with his agent Gavin Orr about enticing him to Auckland.

"I'm off contract at the end of this season with the Storm," Foran told Sunday News.

"I'm really looking for an opportunity to start to run my own team as a halfback.

"I've had two years behind Cooper Cronk and I've learnt what it takes to run a team and how to organise a backline and things like that."

Foran, who left Auckland with his family and moved to Sydney when he was 11, says he would love to call the New Zealand city home again.

"At this point I am talking to a few clubs and the Warriors are one of those clubs," he said.

"I'm trying to play good footy and I'm definitely on the lookout for an opportunity.

"I'm a Kiwi and I still have a lot of family in New Zealand.
"I could certainly see myself playing for the Warriors.

"It's a good club and there's some very good players there in Steve Price and Brent Tate and those sort of blokes."
Foran's brother Kieran, who plays for the Sea Eagles' under-20 side, is another name to be linked with the Warriors.

But the 17-year-old standoff is contracted to the Sydney club until 2010 and says he has no plans to leave Australia any time soon.

But he's convinced his brother would thrive at the Auckland-based club.

"It would definitely be a good move for Liam to come to Auckland. The Warriors would be a good club for him," he said.

"I think the best thing for Liam was to spend two years with Melbourne. It would have matured him heaps as a player.
"He's definitely ready to step straight into the shoes of a starting halfback next year."

Of the other halfbacks on the market, the Warriors have been linked with Tigers star Mathew Head.

His agent David Riolo refused to discuss how negotiations had progressed but did concede Head would be interested in coming to Auckland if the right deal was offered by the club.

Meanwhile, young Rabbitohs halfback Eddie Paea has generated little interest in Auckland, according to his agent Sam Ayoub.

Paea the Junior Kiwis captain is set to be cut loose from the Sydney side at the end of the year and Ayoub is in talks with two NRL clubs about a deal for him.

"The Warriors suggested they may have had a bit of an interest in him a while ago but I haven't heard back from them since," Ayoub told Sunday News last night.

"We are talking to two other clubs. I doubt he will be staying at the Rabbitohs.

"In saying that, anything's possible.
"I would imagine an offer from the Warriors would certainly appeal to him.

"He's certainly a player on the up and one would have thought the Warriors would be interested in him."

Hodkinson is similar to orford, quite creative, solid kicking game, quite big for his age as a halfback. Went through Westfields with Tony Williams.

In 2008, Hodkinson was Parra's under 20's 1st choice half back in front of Daniel Mortimer. Hodkinson got a bad leg injury in April 2008 (I think cruciate) and hasn't played since.

He has been an Australian junior rep and was 1st choice halfback in 19's 2007. He is a goal kicker as well.

I haven't seen him play but looked him up to check him out. Is highly thought of by club and supporters. Many fans were excited about his his progress but obviously injury has halted it. Daniel Mortimer (2008 parra half replacement) has stepped up and done very well so that is why I imagine Hodkinson hasn't been locked up long term by Parra. I will try and find more info.

fu42oi.jpg

As Darren has mentioned above, he has plenty of talent (including a history of rep teams in the Schoolboys age groups) and I certainly wouldn't mind having him on our rosters for next year.

However, I'm a bit confused as to what Manly are planning by going after him? He will still be eligible for the Toyota Cup next season and my main concern here is that we already have a maturing halves combination in the Toyota Cup at the moment in Foran and Cherry-Evans, and unless they're planning to move Foran into the centres (where he's played before), I don't really understand why we're even bothering going after Hodgkinson. Maybe they may try to bulk him up into a hooker, but even still, Jamie Buhrer has done nothing wrong this year either to warrant being pushed onto the bench. Gotta question why we're even bothering.

As I said though, he has plenty of talent, and Parra look to prefer Daniel Mortimer, so I wouldn't say no...

EDIT: now that I think about it, it's more then likely should they sign him that they'll get rid of some of the deadwood in our NSW Cup team. I'd much rather him at halfback as opposed to Jeff Robson lol. Would be good if we get him for NSW Cup, not to mention we'd have awesome depth in the halves over all the grades (especially NSW Cup), as opposed to having NBQ and Robson, quite possibly the worst combination in 100 years, in the halves.

oh Scuba, you are kidding about Robson and NBQ  :p I get so excited when I see Robson spiral it to NBQ at stand off, it brings back Sterling/Kenny memories of ahhhhh  :eek:

Foran is too young yet!!! He is a kid, he is only 18!!! He needs at least 2 more years, cherry evans isn't ready next year, he is only 19!!! same thing!!!

we have orford next year, we ain't playing a 400 grand player off the bench!!

Des and Noel are doing great!!! Having the three gun young halves all fighting for positions in 2010 when Orford leaves is great, bailey will slip into lock

HAHA

Yep, its quite funny seeing Robson through a wobbly ball to NBQ who fumbles it several times before dropping it and slipping over his own feet in the process. Those two together are a comedy of errors. You know what makes it even worse? The fact they've played Shane Neumann of all people in at 5/8, that just shows us how pathetic our depth is for the NSW Cup.

Apparently Cronulla are also after this Trent Hodgkinson guy. I'm not really fussed either way - in the overall scheme of things - its very insignificant.

Scuba.

hey Scuba, do you see anything in Neumann!!! I honestly have never seen him stand out in any match in 2 years!!! I know Des just re-signed him for 3 more!! Must see something I don't!!

I'm like you, in 2010 any gun PL, toyota cup halfback's manager knows that only Orford will be leaving and a top 4 teams playmaker position is up for grabs

There are kids like Harry Sieka from Panthers SG BALL coming thru, and like Liam Foran at Storm, Cronk ain't going nowhere,

look at all the top halves, wallace, finch, orford, cronk, sandow, pearce, prince,carney, marshall, mullen, any kid behind most of those guys will have a long time to be patient and like foran said, he is nearly 21 and wants to play 1st grade

That's why our solid NSW Cup results have been so astounding to me this season although the last couple of matches have been more in line with a draughthorse and shetland pony running the show!

Our current STATE Cup team with Moorewood, robson, nbq, mauro, meaney, james mortimer, nasso and trent rose are terribly hard to watch!!! The team is so predictable and when we face a team with a few NRL players we get shown up.

Toyota cup kids show much more enterprise, value and skill, they throw the ball around and provide entertainment

I'm a big fan of lower grades but truthfully, watching this years State cup is painful, knowing that none of these guys are going to play 1st grade, or odd one!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6