Manly to be competitive in Nines

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don't know if Knight will be ready from his injured ankle. I would not have Mateo he would need the Oxy Viva after 10 mins he is not suited to this. Hugh Pratt should be in the side
Plus why take another hooker when we Parcell who in amazing form? And suited to the nines. Mateo is a must his type of tournament

Hugh Pratt isn't contracted at the moment
I don't understand it. He is one of the best junior hookers I have seen and could go on to be a top hooker in demand. He has the toughness and confidence to be on standby now for first grade and is a top goal kicker too match

Plus why take another hooker when we Parcell who in amazing form? And suited to the nines. Mateo is a must his type of tournament
This game is built on speed and fitness, similar to the rugby 7s. Mateo is neither and when he starts puffing out there, then the mistakes will be made, poor defence, poor handling etc and he will be calling out for the Defibrator. You pick your fastest at the club and then your next fastest forwards, If you are serious about winning this

I know we won the old Seven's tournament a few times, but like that was the Nines (yet another SL concept.....who won the war?) is just a mickey mouse tournament.

You know that much by the amount of retired players who keep showing up (though I'll admit it was great to see the Beaver in the maroon and white again)

Personally I just hope that whoever we send to Auckland comes back injury free. The last thing anyone wants is to loose DCE or the Trbojevic's or whoever to an injury in a nothing tournament, even worse of someone does something like an ACL.

This game is built on speed and fitness, similar to the rugby 7s. Mateo is neither and when he starts puffing out there, then the mistakes will be made, poor defence, poor handling etc and he will be calling out for the Defibrator. You pick your fastest at the club and then your next fastest forwards, If you are serious about winning this
Well they aren't out there for very long are they, it's nines .what about your most skill full?

Its basically like touch, its designed for your speedsters, quick plays etc. and wiz the ball out
When Manly dominated the 7's the best players were Lyon & Kosef....not speedsters but 1 with silky skills & the other a big bopper with an offload, such as Mateo offers.
If you just pick fast players they will play too lateral, its the inside players who play direct & have vision that create the space for speed to be utilized.
Don't know what touch footy you refer too, but again, your middle men or "playmakers" are often faster between the ears then on their feet.

When Manly dominated the 7's the best players were Lyon & Kosef....not speedsters but 1 with silky skills & the other a big bopper with an offload, such as Mateo offers.
If you just pick fast players they will play too lateral, its the inside players who play direct & have vision that create the space for speed to be utilized.
Don't know what touch footy you refer too, but again, your middle men or "playmakers" are often faster between the ears then on their feet.
Well said.

I agree with what you're saying but both Lyon and Kosef are not slow players and a lot different to Mateo, no comparison. But you have brought back memories of Kosef...

I agree with what you're saying but both Lyon and Kosef are not slow players and a lot different to Mateo, no comparison. But you have brought back memories of Kosef...
Hate to break the news Remi, but Kosef was not fast & was a ballplaying forward like Mateo, better & more consistent, but same style with added toughness.
Lyons was also a ball player who burnt defence with magic, not speed....leave that to Turbo & Walker....AFTER....the playmakers create opportunity & the bigger players roll thru the middle winning quick play the balls.
I agree with your sentiments on speed, a part of the game that is essential in most forms of sport, but the impact of power & skill is essential for your speed men to take full advantage of their pace.

We all know Cliffy had the skills, but he was quicker on his feet than most gave him credit for. As for the Cobar Kid, he was definitely quicker between the ears and with the ball in his hands than he was on his feet. Nik was big, skillful.....but IMO was a slow runner. Cliffy and Nik, and Mathew Ridge who gave us that extra strength - he was one of the few players in the competition back then who could actually do a FG conversion from the sidelines, made space for our faster players (Elsegood, Moore, Hill, Oljenik and Hancock) to use their speed. That and our superior fitness was a big part of our Seven's success in the 90s.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see us actually win the Nines in Auckland. But the reality is that coaches are often reluctant to send their best players for fear of injury before the season starts. Its for this reason that until they're long retired I would never expect to see players like Killer, Snake or Skivy playing in the Nines.

Seems to be a common theme with the club being timely with their news releases. Jake T is captain apparently...

tFpsk9L.png

I trying not be be negative here. I think it's a great choice. Well deserved. But now I'm very concerned on who's in the side.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6