Manly throw lifeline to star rookie Jamil Hopoate

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
THE Sea Eagles have handed Jamil Hopoate the opportunity to resurrect his promising football career by signing the local junior for this season after he was sacked by Parramatta.

The son of former Sea Eagle John Hopoate and brother of rising star Will returns home to the northern beaches after the Eels cut him adrift in December when he went AWOL from an NRL rookie camp.

A month earlier young Hopoate had his driver's licence suspended for six months for mid-range drink-driving.

He signed a modest one-year deal with the Sea Eagles after a meeting with head coach Geoff Toovey, recruitment manager Dave Warwick and his manager Tyran Smith.

"Jamil understands he is starting over again and is not coming here as a superstar," Sea Eagles football manager Steve Gigg said.

"We are giving him a chance to prove himself and we will reassess him in June."

Hopoate, who turns 19 this year, will play for the club's Toyota Cup under-20 side and trained with his new teammates for the first time on Monday.

Jamil signed with Parramatta in 2011 along with older brother Will, who is due to link up with the Eels for the 2014 season once he completes his two-year Mormon mission.

"Jamil was a local junior and we didn't want him to leave in the first place," Gigg said.

"But Parramatta offered him a reasonable amount of money and maybe the fact that Will was going there and ... he wanted a fresh start were factors.

"We thought we would give the kid an opportunity, it's a natural fit for us."

Gigg said the club had not gone overboard in laying down any strict conditions in Hopoate's new deal.

"In terms of his attitude to training and with us we never had any issue with him," he said.

At the time Parramatta let him go, Eels CEO Ken Edwards said: "While the club regrets losing such a talented player, the club has made it very clear that we expect high standards of behaviour across all grades.

"Unfortunately Jamil has failed to respond to ongoing support, tutoring and mentoring from our dedicated coaching staff as well as our welfare and education department."

After leaving Parramatta Hopoate threw himself into training hoping that he may get another chance - now that chance has arrived.

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/rookie-offered-second-chance/

By "modest one year deal" I hope they mean the minimum possible. The Hopoate's need to be reeled in abit. Glad to see him back but I hope the club dont take any ****e from him.

I'm sure the law was laid down in no uncertain terms. He'll be right. Welcome back from the dark side Jamil.

I'd prefer the Hopoate name not to be associated with us. They bring trouble, and show disloyalty consistently. I can see us paying the kid, grooming him, for the family to dump us again next season.

Ryan said:
I'd prefer the Hopoate name not to be associated with us. They bring trouble, and show disloyalty consistently. I can see us paying the kid, grooming him, for the family to dump us again next season.

I would take Will back in a heartbeat. He is all class on the field.

Ryan said:
I can see us paying the kid, grooming him, for the family to dump us again next season.

Chances are this will happen given the nature of the salary cap. But I assume we are paying him pittance, so if he gives good service for a year, then good luck to us I reckon.

Did he play NYC for Parra last season ?? how did he go ?? regular spot ??

It's win/win. And don't forget - we have a pretty good success rate with recruits from the Eels, there are many who have left them with egg on their faces after they come here and prosper :D

The other aspect is that it is healthy for a club to be 'community spirited' and stand by their own. In the long run that type of club culture is more inclined to win loyalty in return. I hope the kid turns out as good as they say, back in our fold there's no reason he can't be.

Jamil, welcome back to Manly. The hard work & dedication needed to be a successful professional footballer starts now!

Massive wraps on the kid. Only 19 and deserves another chance. As already mentioned, dont think he ever wanted to leave in the first place.

If anyone can turn him around Manly can. Hel know this is his last chance, if he stuffs it up at Manly no one will touch him. Hopefully that will bring out the best in him.

Hopoate signs with Manly

Jamil Hopoate signed for next year, apparently (The tele are claiming) that John Hopoate is working with the Manly SG Ball team. Matter of time until Will returns I reckon. Another young potential gun backrower for now at least.

RE: Hopoate signs with Manly

Let's hope that Wills is affronted with Parra and joins Jamil at Manly in 2014 :p
====================================================================
NRL Sea Eagles: Manly throw lifeline to star rookie Jamil Hopoate
RUGBY LEAGUE
15 JAN 13 @ 04:02PM BY JON GEDDES

THE Sea Eagles have handed Jamil Hopoate the opportunity to resurrect his promising football career by signing the local junior for this season after he was sacked by Parramatta.

The son of former Sea Eagle John Hopoate and brother of rising star Will returns home to the northern beaches after the Eels cut him adrift in December when he went AWOL from an NRL rookie camp.

A month earlier young Hopoate had his driver's licence suspended for six months for mid-range drink-driving.

He signed a modest one-year deal with the Sea Eagles after a meeting with head coach Geoff Toovey, recruitment manager Dave Warwick and his manager Tyran Smith.

"Jamil understands he is starting over again and is not coming here as a superstar," Sea Eagles football manager Steve Gigg said.

"We are giving him a chance to prove himself and we will reassess him in June."

Hopoate, who turns 19 this year, will play for the club's Toyota Cup under-20 side and trained with his new teammates for the first time on Monday.

Jamil signed with Parramatta in 2011 along with older brother Will, who is due to link up with the Eels for the 2014 season once he completes his two-year Mormon mission.

"Jamil was a local junior and we didn't want him to leave in the first place," Gigg said.

"But Parramatta offered him a reasonable amount of money and maybe the fact that Will was going there and ... he wanted a fresh start were factors.

"We thought we would give the kid an opportunity, it's a natural fit for us."

Gigg said the club had not gone overboard in laying down any strict conditions in Hopoate's new deal.

"In terms of his attitude to training and with us we never had any issue with him," he said.

At the time Parramatta let him go, Eels CEO Ken Edwards said: "While the club regrets losing such a talented player, the club has made it very clear that we expect high standards of behaviour across all grades.

"Unfortunately Jamil has failed to respond to ongoing support, tutoring and mentoring from our dedicated coaching staff as well as our welfare and education department."

After leaving Parramatta Hopoate threw himself into training hoping that he may get another chance - now that chance has arrived.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6