Manly - the 2013 version

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Speaking of Roy masters, even though often I can't cop his views, this today is worth a read.
There's still a sting in the Silvertails
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/theres-still-a-sting-in-the-silvertails-20131002-2usw1.html

Includes this great line: "If you don't like Manly, praise them. Tell them the truth. They have been tough all year and play football the way God and Rex Mossop intended it to be."

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Gazman said:
... Manly in the 70's were the first club to really push the professional aspects of the game and had the financial muscle to rise to the top and attract the better players. ..

Not quite, Gazman.

Poker machines were legalised in NSW in 1956. By the late 1950s Wests were known as the millionaires due to their buying spree of big name star players in an attempt to win the premiership. But St George had become so rich by 1963 that their new leagues club was dubbed the Taj Mahal because of its opulence, and there was an 18 month waiting list for membership. Meanwhile, Souths were massively backed by the rich South Sydney Juniors Leagues Club.

Manly in the late 1960's and early 1970's certainly signed a number of big names, but it was not due to being the wealthiest club. It was more about canny management and offering players what they were worth, while their present clubs preferred to spend their profits elsewhere. There was no salary cap, some clubs were poor, but Manly certainly were not the wealthiest.

The Fibros v Silvertails was just a slogan invented by Roy Masters in the late 1970s to galvanise his no-name Wests team against the star-studded Sea Eagles. It related to the quality of playing roster, not the fact that Manly was rich and Wests were not. Wests had actually been 'silvertails' long before Manly, but poor management frittered their wealth away.

The word Silvertail does have a negative connotation: someone born to wealth rather than earning it the hard way. In football terms, all Manly players had earned it the hard way, but the club had a history of signing players who were already big name stars, so it was easy to just paint us as the rich plunderers of the poor.

Which was never true. The players came willingly to join a club that was committed to success, so they could fulfil their potential and have a shot at premierships. Most could have got similar or better money elsewhere.

After the signing of a few Souths players in the early '70s, then Norths, and then the Wests trio in 1980, our reputation was entrenched. With fans from those clubs green with jealousy, as well as others from Easts, Parra and Cronulla that we had defeated along the way, it was easy to find fans that had a grudge against the ultra-successful Sea Eagles. They lapped up the Silvertails angle, so it was always a popular cause for the media to highlight that history.

The big name signings slowed to the point that Ian Roberts in 1990 and maybe Terry Hill in about 1994 are the last big-name signings I can recall before our demise following Super League.

Everyone knows that since then we have battled financial hardship. We signed an aged Ben Kennedy and a promising young Kite, then Orford, and finally, at last, a genuine star in Jamie Lyon. Have we signed a single current rep player since then?

So the Silvertails moniker is no longer applicable? Hell no. It was never applicable in its literal sense, but we adopted it as an acknowledgement of the jealousy of rival fans, and as a reflection of the quality of our players and teams, our legacy of being accustomed to success, and of accepting nothing less. It refers not to economic domination but to rugby league excellence. It is a joke by our enemies that we have turned around to embrace for our own purposes. Silvertails forever!

That's a pretty good summation Sea Eagle Rock. You're correct - things have evolved a great deal over the 50 years ....I think the Silvertails tag has so much history now that it will live forever.

I hate Souths more than I hate the Bulldogs. Im so glad that Manly had the pleasure of ending their season. Sam Burgess is the biggest grub in the game. Michael Maguire coaches grubby tactics. Nice post btw Gazman.

bones said:
I hate Souths more than I hate the Bulldogs. Im so glad that Manly had the pleasure of ending their season. Sam Burgess is the biggest grub in the game. Michael Maguire coaches grubby tactics. Nice post btw Gazman.

Hmmm, Ok......hostilities will resume in 2014.....

bones said:

Hmmm, Ok.....hate is such a strong word Bones.........hostilities will resume in 2014.....I'm looking for an angry face right now...

Haha, no doubt!
Most people I've spoken to this year do not begrudge the Souths resurgence. It is a measure of your threat to Manly that we revive our dislike, so take it as a compliment. For many years we have viewed Souths with sympathy, so dislike is definitely a step in the right direction. :D
(Bones is right about Maguire though!)

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Haha, no doubt!
Most people I've spoken to this year do not begrudge the Souths resurgence. It is a measure of your threat to Manly that we revive our dislike, so take it as a compliment. For many years we have viewed Souths with sympathy, so dislike is definitely a step in the right direction. :D

Mate, all good - the15 other teams will all become obstacles to be overcome in the new season.....I certainly want your blokes to triumph on Sunday but rest assured it's business as usual from next week....geeze a Manly vs Souths GF would rekindle an old rivalry........

Souths v Manly was my preferred this year. Souths are a great traditional club.

However this week it's all about Manly. The Silvertails versus the team that bought stars (yet again). And I reckon most fans, like you, would be cheering Manly on in some small way.

Gazman said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Haha, no doubt!

Mate, all good - the15 other teams will all become obstacles to be overcome in the new season.....I certainly want your blokes to triumph on Sunday but rest assured it's business as usual from next week....geeze a Manly vs Souths GF would rekindle an old rivalry........

Souths in a Grand Final? LOL

Comes here acting nice to sell tickets. Souths fans hate Manly I hate Souths fans. If my kids supported Souths they wouldn't be living under my roof. One is 3 the other 18 months.

You respect Manly because their success demands it.

IHYD

Napper said:
Comes here acting nice to sell tickets. Souths fans hate Manly I hate Souths fans. If my kids supported Souths they wouldn't be living under my roof. One is 3 the other 18 months.

IHYD

That's the spirit Napper....and quite an interesting perspective. My kids both started as Souths fans but one defected to the Bulldogs ...I still talk to her though...lol

Gazman said:
Napper said:

IHYD

My kids both started as Souths fans but one defected to the Bulldogs ...I still talk to her though...lol

Tell it walking buddy!

You're weak as piss mate.

Napper said:

IHYD

Thumbs up Napper!! My kids (7 and 4) know how to wind me up...they sing rabbit rock and run off laughing. I've always told them support anyone (at the moment they support the Sea Eagles), but you support Souths and you can live elsewhere!

I will say though there is a real admiration from other teams to the 2013 Sea Eagles. A mate of mine who is a doggies fan said he is 100% going for us, he thinks our team has shown courage and mateship to get here, whilst the Roosters have just bought their success.

Plus he thinks when it gets deep and dark during the GF and you have to really dig in and hurt...we will prevail because our players just love each other. (bl&&dy good insight I thought from a doggies fan)

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2