Manly team photo 1953

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mufc1965

Hi there everyone. My father in law played first grade for Manly in 1953. His name is Rex Bailey.
Rex has been unwell for sometime now and im desperately trying to find a team photo from 1953 season.
Does anyone have any ideas? Have approached the club but they werent too helpful.

Many thanks

Hi mate,

Bob (vidmar) has already asked on your behalf (see the thread below).

We're hoping something gets sorted.

We hope your Dad gets well.

http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-Help-Needed-1953-team-picture

mufc1965 said:
Hi there everyone. My father in law played first grade for Manly in 1953. His name is Rex Bailey.
Rex has been unwell for sometime now and im desperately trying to find a team photo from 1953 season.
Does anyone have any ideas? Have approached the club but they werent too helpful.

Many thanks

G'day mate. I have been all over google but have not found anything. The club would surely have a team photo from 1953.

It's a big ask I know, but does anyone think Larissa may know someone in the club that could help? Perhaps you could PM her.

Best wishes to you in your search, and your Father in-law with his illness.

Try the archives of old newspapers? Sydney morning herald? I know the Mitchell library was already suggested, which may be the best place for those old records, all on microfiche I guess? otherwise contact the paper direct? Good luck.

I just checked the book "The Eagle has Landed" but couldn't find anything in there. I hope Rex keeps improving.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FOUR-RUGBY-LEAGUE-NEWS-MAGAZINES-1953-59-63-1996-/390277077103?pt=AU_NRL_Memorabilia&hash=item5ade53986f&_uhb=1

@mufc1965 Ebay has the 1953 Rugby League Life - maybe there is a Manly photo in there

Not what you are after, but here is a SMH clip from 10/7/53. I think it is referring to Rex but they got his christian name wrong.

[attachment=574]

eagle66 said:
Not what you are after, but here is a SMH clip from 10/7/53. I think it is referring to Rex but they got his christian name wrong.

There's a few mentions of him on the national library's trove digitized herald from '53.

A lot of people have been looking for a photo and info for a few weeks now but haven't been able to come up with anything.

I think it's a bit unfair to say "the club weren't to helpful"

Mate, you have to realise that unless teams made the GF it was very rare to have a team photo taken back in those days. Good luck.

Hope Rex is ok.

Rex Bailey

Hey Guys,

sorry to have to break this news to you but my father in law passed away today. His name was Rex Bailey he played for us in 1953 and scored one try. We are all going to miss him he loved the club and my only regret is that we cannot get a team pic from 1953. Rest in peace poppy

regards

steve

RE: Rex Bailey

mufc1965 said:
Hey Guys,

sorry to have to break this news to you but my father in law passed away today. His name was Rex Bailey he played for us in 1953 and scored one try. We are all going to miss him he loved the club and my only regret is that we cannot get a team pic from 1953. Rest in peace poppy

regards

steve

Sorry to hear that Steve.

Terence Zarsoff said:
mufc1965 said:
Hey Guys,

regards

steve

Sorry to hear that Steve.

thanks mate appreciate

That is sad news, any manly player is a legend and will be mourned

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4