Manly - Storm rematch - in Perth?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Phantar

Bencher
Link below:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/manly-look-to-perth-for-storm-rematch-20120128-1qn1k.html

no, we are broke and this is what we get when we keep playing at Brookie. I'd rather Penn take the team to places that keep us financially competitive than to keep losing millions. It shows how unviable we are at home. To think we can get four times the money playing there, it's a no brainer. Anyway, they still play many matches at Brookie during the year. This is for financial reasons.

I would thought the club would take a less attractive game against a lower drawing opponent, away to a venue like Perth, considering the game and costs are being underwritten by the WA Govt. ? So there's one full house game we won't get to enjoy in 2012, if this does happen. The comment about it possibly netting the club 4 times the revenue it would if it was played at Brookvale is however ,a strong point and must surely be the ONLY reason to even consider it ?

WESTIE said:
I would thought the club would take a less attractive game against a lower drawing opponent, away to a venue like Perth, considering the game and costs are being underwritten by the WA Govt. ? So there's one full house game we won't get to enjoy in 2012, if this does happen. The comment about it possibly netting the club 4 times the revenue it would if it was played at Brookvale is however ,a strong point and must surely be the ONLY reason to even consider it ?

Exactly this, why wouldn't they take a low crowd drawing game.

So How much is the profit out of a full house Brookie ?
Do we assume profit of $250k so are they going to pay Manly $1 mil for that game ?

Clay said:
WESTIE said:

Exactly this, why wouldn't they take a low crowd drawing game.

Maybe the WA people are insisting that the game should be against a higher profile opponent. In other words, Melbourne.

Like it or not we have no say in it. All we can do is grumble about missing out on a choice brooky game.

That's life!

Should be the GF replay-meets the criteria of a high profile game as well as being a poor Brookie gate taking.

Mark is the one smiling with another MWTS Tour in 2012:)

Jerry1 said:
Like it or not we have no say in it. All we can do is grumble about missing out on a choice brooky game.

That's life!

I totally disagree. We, the fans, are the LIFEBLOOD of this club. You start making terrible decisions like this and you'll start losing our support.
The Manly-Melb match is the ONE game that must stay at Brookie. I could understand taking another clash there, but NOT this match.
It is the most anticipated matches in 2012, not just by we Manly fans but by every RL supporter. It MUST stay at Brookie, where the atmosphere is unmatched.

Jerry1 said:

That's life!

I totally disagree. We, the fans, are the LIFEBLOOD of this club. You start making terrible decisions like this and you'll start losing our support.
The Manly-Melb match is the ONE game that must stay at Brookie. I could understand taking another clash there, but NOT this match.
It is the most anticipated matches in 2012, not just by we Manly fans but by every RL supporter. It MUST stay at Brookie, where the atmosphere is unmatched.

We lose Penn and co and we don't have a team! I'm sure all of us don't tell our boss how to run his company. We may have an emotional attachment but our own trivial financial contributions make a small impact in the running of the club. If Penn is offered 4 times the money of a packed Brookie to go to Perth, what should he do? Remember we lost nearly a million again last year!! Great atmosphere is wonderful but doesn't add dollars to the till!

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
What should Penn do, you ask?
He should tell the WA Government that they can have their pick of Manly games - except the one against Melbourne, for reasons I have stated.

if you were going to pay someone 750k to bring teams to your stadium who would you pick? Don't WA government get a say in games when they are paying huge money? Don't WA want to try and get people into league? Manly vs Gold Coast or vs Storm or Dogs? If they want to pay us big dollars then of course they should pick who they want.

Darren, if it's just about the money then let's play all our matches in Abu Dhabi. That's where England is playing Pakistan in cricket - with no spectators, no atmosphere and a zero care rating.
If it's all about the money then perhaps you think Manly should relocate to Perth permanently and become the West Coast (Sea) Eagles?
What you are suggesting saps loyalty and reduces membership. I pay yearly membership to watch matches at Brookie, and the one against Melbourne is the ultimate.

TW - I think we just have to accept the fait accompli, as Jerry has suggested, and move on.

The pay-off will be in a more viable club financially as Penn and Perry work from 'inside the tent' to get more funding for Brookvale, rather than piss on the tent from the outside - like our former coach and Mr Peters.

Hopefully in 5-10 years they won't have to move games anywhere.

The Who said:
Darren, if it's just about the money then let's play all our matches in Abu Dhabi. That's where England is playing Pakistan in cricket - with no spectators, no atmosphere and a zero care rating.
If it's all about the money then perhaps you think Manly should relocate to Perth permanently and become the West Coast (Sea) Eagles?
What you are suggesting saps loyalty and reduces membership. I pay yearly membership to watch matches at Brookie, and the one against Melbourne is the ultimate.

Well said The Who. I have watched many NFL and EPL games and one thing that stands out very clearly is their loyalty and appreciation of the fans. Des was a shocker with almost never an acknowledgement. It has been clearly obvious that Manly supporters come a long last in the thinking of some at our club. I thought and hoped it was changing. Taking the Storm game to WA may be smart financially but it is just one further step in alienating those that do turn up at Brookie.

I'm sorry we have to move games away but it's obviously financial alone. If we had a stadium like the Broncos we wouldn't need to move but we don't have the earning capacity. This looks to be our future unless we can generate more cash.

Darren said:
I'm sorry we have to move games away but it's obviously financial alone. If we had a stadium like the Broncos we wouldn't need to move but we don't have the earning capacity. This looks to be our future unless we can generate more cash.

If we start moving more games from Brookvale (having already surrended two to Bluetongue) then we also risk the chance of losing more games and, thus, missing out on finals. The prime reason we have made the finals in the past seven seasons is our unmatched success at Brookie. So, not only do you alienate fans like me you also risk financial returns which come from making finals and winning grand finals.
Why do you think Souths and Canterbury fans want to return to their home grounds? They want home ground advantage which increases their chances of making finals.
Everybody here has talked about Manly's culture, and how Canterbury has tried to buy it. Clubs would do anything to have a Brookie Oval advantage.
If we start selling out then we may as well give up our culture.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6