Manly side for Round 1

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ryan link said:
(Des Team)

01. Brett Stewart (Yaaaaaaay !)
02. Michael Robertson (Remember his combo's with bullett !! Pumped)
03. Tony Williams (I'd have Hoppa in there TBH)
04. Jamie Lyon (who else - always a pleasure to watch him play)
05. David Williams (Love his enthusiasm & a joy to watch - pace !)
06. Keiran Foran (Another year under his belt - nice !)
07. DCE (Could be a gun. A REAL gun)
08. Jason King (Apparently killing it this year)
09. Matt Ballin (Always consistent, always good)
10. Brent Kite (I thought he was fantastic last year. Will be good)
11. Anthony Watmough (SURELY has a point to prove. Will b dominant)
12. Shane Rodney (Love him. Does it all)
13. Glenn Stewart (Will b fresh. Should be 10X better with bullet there)

14. Terrence Seu Seu (I'd have L Foran to be honest. See below)
15. George Rose (Hopefully fitter and angrier)
16. Matt Cross (I'd give Cunningham / Lussick / Buhrer a shot though)
17. Joe Galuvao (Never let us down at all)

Liam Foran should be the utility. Why? He can play Hooker. But he can also slot into 1/2 back if and when (and we should all expect this to happen due to greenness) DCE has a shocker or two.

Every new 1/2 has growing pains. Liam Foran waiting there has many benefits, but Des will go with what he knows and go for Seu Seu.

Could'nt afgree more with you there Ryano.  Liam Foran has to be the utility.

Wolfpack link said:
[quote author=Fonz link=topic=186569.msg318453#msg318453 date=1298866658]
But to mark tuqiri he'd have to play on the wing.

Not hard to get the bloke to shift over a spot in defence, he's surely not that dopey.

[/quote]

Are you serious? The whole pattern of defence and field positioning changes between the wing and centre. Centre is the hardest spot to defend at. You have to be able to defend forward and sideways in both directions. On the wing you only really have to defend forwards and outwards from your centre. This is typically why wingers don't make good fill in centres. Plus, wingers more often than not finish backline breaks not create them. Can he hit a hole at speed and make 30 metres? Prob not. He's too slow. T-Rex will get caught out playing there and he'' look more dopey than he already does.

Absolutely Fonz.

In addition the last thing our team needs is have the disruption of trial and error positional moves in the backline. A surefire way to get to round 7 with a for & against in negative territory.

But no fear. Des would never do that anyway.

Fonz, If you remember back to our first game last season Tuqiri's first try back, was off a short pass to him running straight at the try line from a scurm.  That's a tactic worked by the Tigers every time they get the feed close to the try line.  It takes a large man to stop him from that range.  He nearly always succeeds when he takes the pass.  A big guy like Rex would negate that move.  All he would have to do is tackle head on.  He can do that.  And all a centre has to do when playing the Tigers is to attack Tuqiri, he's a poor defender.  I would prefer Oldfield at centre and Rex outside him. 

I was in the stand right where that happened - we just didn't number up for that try. It wasn't a one-on-one miss. Tuqiri went over untouched.

Recently I watched replays of our 1st 2 games from 2010 on Fox - the two heartbreak results against tigers & eels. Our spot on the ladder by years end could so easily have been a lot better.

That 4 points would have made a big difference, but by the semis we were shot anyway, too many injuries, suspensions and running out of momentum.

Who knows, maybe 20111 will be different

Did Shane Rodney play in the trials? I don't think ive seen him mentioned anywhere except that he was still recovering from a knee injury? He wasn't listed as part of our team going to NZ per the nrl page...
http://www.nrl.com/weekend-team-lists/tabid/10874/newsid/61446/default.aspx

I doubt he'll play, or have much impact straight up... If that's the case...

1. Brett Stewart
2. Michael Robertson
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Michael Oldfield
5. David Williams
6. Keiran Foran
7. DCE
8. Jason King
9. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Jamie Buhrer
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Terence Seu Seu
15. George Rose
16. Tony Williams
17. Joe Gulavao if fit, but i don't think he will be, if not Tim Robinson or Daniel Harrison

18. Darcy Lussick
19. Vic Mauro

I also see Cunningham didn't travel, anyone know why?

Slim pickings really. We will struggle this year with that forward pack. Lets hope they're as good as the young dragons forwards...

Imagine if King was rubbed out for a few weeks because of the alleged high shot against the warriors...

Fluffy link said:
davey was one of the most impressive in the first trial especially in defence can only assume he was injured. Would be my first pick for the centre spot

Jimmy cunningham should be our 4th prop.

He wasnt injured

Post  automatically merged: [time]1298977305[/time]

jabroni link said:
Did Shane Rodney play in the trials? I don't think ive seen him mentioned anywhere except that he was still recovering from a knee injury? He wasn't listed as part of our team going to NZ per the nrl page...
http://www.nrl.com/weekend-team-lists/tabid/10874/newsid/61446/default.aspx

I doubt he'll play, or have much impact straight up... If that's the case...

1. Brett Stewart
2. Michael Robertson
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Michael Oldfield
5. David Williams
6. Keiran Foran
7. DCE
8. Jason King
9. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Jamie Buhrer
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Terence Seu Seu
15. George Rose
16. Tony Williams
17. Joe Gulavao if fit, but i don't think he will be, if not Tim Robinson or Daniel Harrison

18. Darcy Lussick
19. Vic Mauro

I also see Cunningham didn't travel, anyone know why?

Slim pickings really. We will struggle this year with that forward pack. Lets hope they're as good as the young dragons forwards...

Imagine if King was rubbed out for a few weeks because of the alleged high shot against the warriors...

Cunningham did go to NZ.

Rodney is right and will play in round 1. Lussick is ahead of Harrison on the pecking order.

With Matai suspended that leaves a huge hole in the team, I don't want to go off to early but another suspension and I think the club may have to part ways with him. I love his passion but his passion is starting to turn into poor discipline and with salary cap these days you can't carry players

Greg choice link said:
With Matai suspended that leaves a huge hole in the team, I don't want to go off to early but another suspension and I think the club may have to part ways with him. I love his passion but his passion is starting to turn into poor discipline and with salary cap these days you can't carry players

I love Stevie and the way he plays.  At his best he is a massive plus for us.  However, I just think with how tight the cap is, the depth we have in the outside backs and how skinny we are looking for props that we should have let Matai go.  IMO young Hoppa will be an absolute superstar, I'm fairly sure he's off contract this year, and if people think he's going to play u20s or reserve grade for the next few years they are kidding themselves.  With the probable NRL expansion he's going to be in huge demand and we won't be helping our chances by not giving him a shot and I think centre would have been a great position for him to make his own at the NRL level.  He would have been our version of a GI or Folau.

As for our round 1 side, Des will pick T-Rex in the centres.  He is an extremely conservative with his selections (and tactics for that matter), I'm actually suprised DCE is going to start the year and he's not going with Lyon & Foran as the halves as a safe bet.  Maybe Matai suspension forced his hand a little bit with that.

01.Brett Stewart
02.David Williams
03.Jamie Lyon
04.Michael Oldfield
05.Michael Robertson
06.Kieran Foran
07.DCE
08.Jason King
09.Matt Ballin
10.Brent Kite
11.Anthony Watmough
12.Shane Rodney
13.Glenn Stewart

14.Jamie Buhrer
15.Tony Williams
16.George Rose
17.Joe Gulavou

- Jamie for Ballin, or to cover a position.
- Williams for Rodney.
- George for Jason.
- Joe for Brent.

18th man William Hopoate
19th man Darcy Lussick

1 Brett Stewart
2 Micheal Robertson
3 Jamie Lyon
4 Dean Whare/Olfield
5 David Williams
6 Keiran Foran
7 Daly Cherry-Evans
8 Brent Kite
9 Matt Ballin
10 Jason King
11 Anthony Watmough
12 Shane Rodney
13 Glenn Stewart

14 Terrence Seu Seu
15 George Rose
16 Cunningham
17 Tony Williams

thats a great side shane, i love the look of cunningham and trex on the bench ! just cant see dez doing it unfortunately, i would for him to show me up !

My guess is Harrison and burher will fight out the worker type backrower backup and Joe, T rex, Cross, Cunningham, Lussick the super sub type role

Yeah I had forgor about Lussick, saw him in the 20's a few years ago good kid...good to have some young guns fighting for positions isn't it

Copa Eagle link said:
thats a great side shane, i love the look of cunningham and trex on the bench ! just cant see dez doing it unfortunately, i would for him to show me up !

Id love to see that to,that is the side we will be when Matai comes home,replacing Oldfield/Whare

I think we'll have to wait until just before kick off to know the exact team to run out, I'm pretty sure Des will name an extended bench to keep Bellamy guessing

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7