Manly selling the Brookvale name?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eggson

Bencher
By Stuart Honeysett
September 23, 2008 IT has only ever been known as Brookvale Oval.

Now Manly is contemplating giving up the naming rights to its spiritual home for the first time in more than 60 years.

Sea Eagles' chief executive Grant Mayer confirmed he was looking at several options to maximise revenue for the club as it continues its search for a major sponsor. It is believed the ground could fetch a price tag as high as $300,000 a year.

There are no shortage of sponsored grounds in the game, including North Queensland's Dairy Farmers Stadium, Cronulla's Toyota Park and Newcastle's EnergyAustralia Stadium.

However, Manly's home ground has only ever been known as Brookvale Oval since the club was admitted to the competition in 1947.

"It would be something along the lines of 'XYZ' Oval, Brookvale, so it would still retain the heritage of the organisation," Mayer said.

"That doesn't contravene anything we have with council and doesn't contravene anything we're doing. We're the only unbranded ground in the NRL."

Mayer said he wasn't expecting a backlash from fans over the prospect of re-naming the ground.

He said it made economic sense, given New South Wales clubs reliant on grants from their leagues clubs were battling the effects of the state government's poker machine tax increase.

"If it comes down to the survival of the club against the naming of Brookvale Oval I think they'd all go for it," Mayer said.

"As long as it retains the basic heritage of the ground and the word Brookvale is still there, I don't think anybody would be too concerned about it."

Manly is in the hunt for a major sponsor after Delmege Commercial, a property development group owned by the club's part-owner Max Delmege, announced it would end its six year-association with the club after this season.

Mayer said the club could follow the le0ad of South Sydney and divide its playing strip into home and away games for any prospective sponsors.

However, while Souths put a $2 million price tag on its jumper, Mayer said he was starting at $1 million and looking at other means such as re-naming Brookvale Oval to sweeten the pot on top of that.

Manly's boss said the club could also look at giving up naming rights to its Toyota Cup team and new feeder club for the Queensland Cup competition in 2009, the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles.

Mayer has also bravely offered a spotters' fee of $100,000 to any member of the public who leads the Sea Eagles to their new sponsor.

"It's created a bit of a stir and I've had thousands of e-mails today," Mayer said.

"We are the innovators and we'll work with anybody."

Mayer has not given up hope of securing a partnership with Colin Tidy's betting agency, Betchoice, after the NRL blocked its involvement as a major sponsor in a potential $3 million deal. The NRL's $1 million a season deal with Tabcorp prevents any club from securing a naming rights sponsor from a rival betting agency.

Not to be deterred, Mayer has organised a meeting with Betchoice chief executive Mark Morrissey about coming on board as a training gear sponsor.

The training kit deal could net the progressive seaside club $250,000 a year.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24387886-23214,00.html

Just think if it were something like Delmege Oval - a manly loving company, that could inject cash to rebuild the ground and then have their name on it.  The fans and EVERYONE would still call it Brookvale anyways so i don't see what's to lose if they go ahead.  Certainly not money. 

I was initially opposed to the plan when Crazy Johns was looking at buying it.

However I think if it retained the heritage I would be happy with it, if it made the difference for Manly surviving going forward something like

"Company X, Brookvale Oval"

Although it would contrevene our current sporting wear supplier, is Brooks was to sponsor it, we could call it Brooksvale Oval.

CliffyIsGod link said:
Although it would contrevene our current sporting wear supplier, is Brooks was to sponsor it, we could call it Brooksvale Oval.

Surely that wasn't worth the energy to type!

Dan link said:
[quote author=CliffyIsGod link=topic=178511.msg197957#msg197957 date=1222141986]

Surely that wasn't worth the energy to type!
[/quote]

I can type really efficiently, so no.

I can just just see the friends of brookvale valley comming out in the Manly Daily protesting about change the name from Brookvale oval. 

As Mayer said, we have the only unbranded ground (hang on what about Parra stadium or Leichhardt?) so it's almost inevitable. 

Besides, who doesn't call the broncos ground Lang Park still?

SFS is back to it's orginal name
Parramatta Stadium
Leichhardt Oval
Campbelltown Stadium
Olympic Park
Canberra Stadium

Olympic Park is ANZ Stadium so take that one off the list.

I hate this sort of thing - I hate the idea of Endeavour, Caltex, Ronson, Toyota, Shark Park etc and all the other derivatives over the years. In the end it is the same place and how many people actually change their buying preferences because of cheap branding like this?

tookey link said:
I can just just see the friends of brookvale valley comming out in the Manly Daily protesting about change the name from Brookvale oval. 

Have we got that list of addresses together yet so we can start leaving paper bags of flaming dog turd on their doorsteps?

DVS Matt link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=178511.msg197991#msg197991 date=1222149383]
Olympic Park is ANZ Stadium so take that one off the list.

Olympic Park is in Melbourne

[/quote]Fair enough - you are correct. I spend too much time at Olympic Park Hockey Centre which is in Sydney!!!

Wouldn't really bother me - it will always be Brooky....

I see any "branding" along the same line as roadside bill boards or sponsorship of all manner of things from the Opera to the local surf club or school fete.

This type of sponsorship is to raise "brand awareness" not specifically a "call to action" to buy now...typically the company is looking to become "household names"/high profile/good guys etc so when someone is buying they will "lean" towards someone they know and maybe trust (or subconsciously prefer them rather than an unknown brand.)

They are all trying to reach the marketeers version of Nirvana which is to turn their brand in to a "Love mark" - no not a nasty hickey...see here for more http://www.lovemarks.com/

I think our senior exec have a good enough of a handle on the importance of our "brand" to align us with a poor fit sponsor but are most certainly savvy enough to realise there is a quid to be made from naming rights so would be remiss not to explore the possibilities….?

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7