MANLY SEA EAGLES v GOLD COAST TITANS at Brookvale Oval, 7.30pm

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
MANLY SEA EAGLES v GOLD COAST TITANS at Brookvale Oval, 7.30pm

SEA EAGLES: Brett Stewart, Michael Robertson, Ben Farrar, Steve Matai, David Williams, Kieran Foran, Matt Orford (capt), Brent Kite, Matt Ballin, Josh Perry, Anthony Watmough, Chris Bailey, Glenn Stewart. Interchange: Heath L'Estrange, Adam Cuthbertson, George Rose, Glenn Hall, Vic Mauro, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (two to be omitted).

TITANS: Preston Campbell, Kevin Gordon, Sam Tagataese, Jordan Atkins, David Mead, Mat Rogers, Scott Prince (capt), Luke Bailey (capt), Nathan Friend, Matthew White, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison. Interchange: Michael Henderson, Will Matthews, Luke O'Dwyer, Josh Graham, Selasi Berdie (one to be omitted)

Brookvale Oval
Saturday 7.30pm

Both of these teams may well be safe inside the top eight but their position within the finals zone is still very much on the line in this huge clash at Brookie.

The home-side Sea Eagles, currently fifth, will know before kick-off if they can potentially leapfrog Melbourne into the top four and gain a home final. And depending on Friday night’s result they will know just how far they can potentially fall down the grid as well.

If the Eels beat the Dragons, they will start the match against the Gold Coast in sixth place.

If they were to lose against the Titans, it could see them fall as low as eighth depending on the size of their loss and what would need to be a big Newcastle win over Penrith.

Brisbane would also need to beat Canberra for this to materialise.

Now while eighth might be far-fetched, it is entirely conceivable they may finish seventh, which is another sudden-death spot, so the motivation to beat the Titans and at worst finish fifth is high.

The Gold Coast on the other hand cannot finish worse than third – but if the Dragons have fallen to the Eels the night before then they will have the opportunity to push up into second place on the ladder, a place of privilege as it ensures a week off in the finals should you win in Week One.

Even if the Titans cannot move to second they will be out to prove their worth against the reigning premiers and will not want to enter the finals on the back of a loss.

Manly enter the match after a very scratchy and lucky win over Cronulla last weekend.

Jason King is out injured, with Brent Kite selected to start at prop in his place.

Manly coach Des Hasler has named three potential replacements for the vacant bench spot in Adam Cuthburtson, Vic Mauro and newly inducted Toyota Team of the Year player Jared Waerea-Hargreaves.

The Titans were victorious late in the piece against a desperate Wests Tigers unit last weekend; their only change sees Brad Meyers out with a hand injury and Will Matthews in on the bench, while Selasi Berdie has been added as an 18th man.

Watch out Sea Eagles: Veteran Mat Rogers has found some form in recent weeks for the Titans, scoring a neat try and setting up another to ensure victory against the Wests Tigers.

After some niggling injuries have disrupted his season to 17 games it appears Rogers is fully fit and firing again. He has 12 line breaks for the season to date, 11 line-break assists, eight try assists and 11 tries – making him a very valuable commodity to the Titans team.

While focus needs to be placed on Scott Prince and Preston Campbell, the Sea Eagles must also ensure Rogers’ involvement is limited if they want to craft a win.

Watch out Titans:
Anthony Watmough has had two reasonably quiet weeks – which means he could be due to have a mammoth game. The destroyer has run 138 metres a match on average this season and has 13 line breaks, 126 tackle breaks and eight tries for the year.

It is not uncommon for the back-rower to explode every now and then and have a 200 metres-plus game, so the Titans must be wary of his impact. The trick can be to direct traffic at him in attack, as his defence is a weakness and can tire him out a little.

Where it will be won: Orford v Prince. The battle of these two halfbacks could well be the determining factor in this game. Both have perennially been on the edge of representative selections and while Prince has had more chances in that regard, both could have played more than they have with a little luck here and there.

Prince is a former Clive Churchill Medal winner; Orford is the reigning Dally M Medal winner. Both are extremely important to their team and their chances of victory. Putting their season stats head to head you find Prince has averaged 49 metres running, 345 metres kicking, has six line breaks, 19 line-break assists, seven tries and 22 try assists from 21 games, while Orford has 44 running metres a game, 311 kicking metres, six line breaks, 14 line-break assists, two tries and 21 try assists from 23 games.

These stats suggest Prince has been slightly better than his rival – however this match is at Brookvale, potentially the last at the venue for the year, so the Manly captain should lift.

The history: Played 4; Sea Eagles 3, Titans 1. The Titans grabbed their only win over the Sea Eagles earlier this year with a controversial 18-17 victory on the Gold Coast (when Orford was penalised for an illegal challenge on Preston Campbell and Prince nailed a decisive penalty from in front). In the two matches played previously at Brookvale Oval the home side won 28-10 (2008) and 20-6 (2007).

Conclusion:
The Sea Eagles probably deserve favouritism despite a pretty sad effort against the depleted Sharks last week. The Titans have shown they can win away this year – but are still only 5-6 on the road and are yet to win at Brookvale Oval.

The Titans’chances could hinge on the Friday night results. If they can do no better than third they might come out a little flat; however if a top-two spot is on the line they could come out much tougher.

Similarly the Sea Eagles may just fire up deluxe if the Warriors upset Melbourne and a home final is available.

The Titans are capable of winning this match… but our ‘feel’ is the Sea Eagles might just get them.

Match officials: Referees – Shayne Hayne & Bernard Sutton; Sideline Officials – Grant Atkins & Paul Holland; Video Ref – Steve Clark.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live 7.30pm.

* Statistics:
NRL Stats.

Head To Head Records (2007 - )
Overall Head-to-head Records

Played 4; Manly 3, Gold Coast 1

Head-to-head at Brookvale Oval
Played 2; Manly 2, Gold Coast 0

Record Crowd these Clubs (Excludes Finals)
21374 at Skilled Park, 4/7/2008 (Rd 17), Manly Won 34 - 14

Last 4 Games Head-to-head:
Played 4; Manly 3, Gold Coast 1
Won By Score Venue Date
Gold Coast 18 - 17 Skilled Park 24/5/2009 (Rd 11)
Manly 28 - 10 Brookvale Oval 1/9/2008 (Rd 25)
Manly 34 - 14 Skilled Park 4/7/2008 (Rd 17)
Manly 20 - 6 Brookvale Oval 22/4/2007 (Rd 6)
Biggest Head-to-Head Wins
Manly 34 - 14 Skilled Park 4/7/2008 (Rd 17)
Gold Coast 18 - 17 Skilled Park 24/5/2009 (Rd 11)
Most Tries In A Match Head-toHead
2 S Matai (Sea Eagles) Sea Eagles Won 28 - 10 (Rd 25, 2008)
2 A Laffranchi (Titans) Titans Lost 14 - 34 (Rd 17, 2008)
Most Goals In A Match Head-toHead
5 M Orford (Sea Eagles) Sea Eagles Won 34 - 14 (Rd 17, 2008)
3 S Prince (Titans) Titans Won 18 - 17 (Rd 11, 2009)
Most Points In A Match Head-toHead
10 M Orford (Sea Eagles)(0T, 5G, 0FG) Sea Eagles Won 34 - 14 (Rd 17, 2008)
8 A Laffranchi (Titans)(2T, 0G, 0FG) Titans Lost 14 - 34 (Rd 17, 2008)

I wonder whether Vic Mauro will stay on the bench. He has also been named in the starting line up for the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles to play against the Souths Logan Magpies on Saturday afternoon's Preliminary Final for the QLD Cup.

The betting is the same way as the Storm match against the Warriors. Sea Eagles @ $1.30, Titans @ $3.40 line -8.5.
The Titan odds look generous to me.

I would be having some of that money for the Titans if I backed against my teams

Looking forward to this game, just gotta figure out a way to see it !!

Have Indoor Cricket Nationals this weekend, so either have to try and get the team down to the pub, or use my birthday as an excuse to sneak off for a couple of hours

i thought indoor cricket is what you played after you had spent a few hours at the pub

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Playing in a mixed side so hoping to get a game there too fluffy ;)

If you strap on one of the batting gloves, you will be five times as safe when you are bowling a maiden over. 

MANLY v GOLD COAST

Tonight, Brookvale Oval, 7.30.

What the Sea Eagles say: It's time to hit form going into a finals series that any of the eight teams can win. ''It's wide open,'' coach Des Hasler said. ''The side that turns up on the day, fit and with the right mindset, is going to be the one that wins.''

What the Titans say: Captain Scott Prince is over the moon at Preston Campbell's recent form, saying: ''If you think watching Preston from the stands is a buzz, try being just a couple of metres away as he weaves his magic and leaves oversized defenders grasping at thin air.''

What Prichard says: There are some potential outside influences here. The Storm are playing the early game tonight, against the Warriors, and if they lose the Sea Eagles would be in line to grab fourth place - and a home game in the first week of the finals - by winning. They've got a lot of motivation as it is, because a loss could have them drop from fifth to sixth or seventh, but if fourth place opened up it would amp things up even more for them. The Titans would have been watching last night's Dragons-Eels game, to see if the Eels could win and open up a shot at a top-two spot for the Titans. These are the things that make the last round so interesting. But trying to shut all of that out for a minute, the Sea Eagles have a win-loss record of 7-4 at home this season, while the Titans are 5-6 away. Three of those Sea Eagles losses came in the first eight rounds, while they were struggling to get their act together amid off-field drama. I know the Sea Eagles only fell in at home against a 12-man Sharks side last weekend, but I reckon that will work out well for them here. They were embarrassed, and will react by lifting their form.

For the Sea Eagles to win: They are at their best when they pump it up straight and hard through the forwards and wait for the right time to give halfback Matt Orford the ball and let him get the attack into gear. Brett Stewart has had one game back from a long time out, and he should be much better for the run. The Sea Eagles just need to be patient in attack, crowd Prince, Campbell and Mat Rogers when they have the ball for the Titans and not fall for Campbell or Prince dummies.

For the Titans to win: Their commitment over 80 minutes is a big plus, and they'll need it here - particularly in defence, because the Sea Eagles are going to ask them plenty of questions. They're a very solid team now, and just as they didn't panic when Wests Tigers got on top of them early last weekend they have got to remain calm again here if they fall behind. Prince, Campbell and Rogers are all potential match-winners who can conjure up tries out of nothing.

The X-factor: Brett Stewart. It won't be long before he cuts loose.

What the bookies say: They like the Sea Eagles at home. TAB Sportsbet has them at $1.30, with the Titans $3.40. There is a leaning towards the Sea Eagles at the points start of 8.5, as well. It's $1.80 if you want to give it, and $2 if you want to take it.

Late mail: Titans prop and co-captain Luke Bailey has overcome a virus. He trained yesterday and has been cleared to play.

Correct Berkely-E.  The NRL would love to have the Tits win.  My hope is that Orford plays a relaxed game and doesn't try to compete with Prince.  he'll come of the worst in that encounter.  Just play the support role and feed our backline which, Rogers aside, is better than theirs.  And we need to muscle up in defense and not, like last week, leak through the middle.   

Kiwi Eagle link said:
I would be having some of that money for the Titans if I backed against my teams

Looking forward to this game, just gotta figure out a way to see it !!

Have Indoor Cricket Nationals this weekend, so either have to try and get the team down to the pub, or use my birthday as an excuse to sneak off for a couple of hours

Hey KE thats a non too subtle way to let us know its your birthday! Happy Birthday by the way and we'll raise a glass or 30 to you at the Leagues club today!  ;D 

Do you use the birthday excuse often to sneak down the pub?

I'm heading up for the game (about to leave). My first game live of the year which is a bit sad! But I can't wait - we'd better win.

Should we go for a tacticle loss & play the Titans in the finals or do we still fancy another win at the Storm?

TigerNige link said:
Should we go for a tacticle loss & play the Titans in the finals or do we still fancy another win at the Storm?

I think so, It means I can go to the game if they do that......

Throw it for meeeeee!!!!!

why oh why must the stream of the game **** up. Sitting in a crappy dive of a pub in Islington, London so i could get wi fi and the thing isnt even bloody working

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4