Manly Sea Eagles to expand Brookvale Oval with new 4000-seat grandstand

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyArmy

Bencher
HERE is the proof Manly have no plans to walk away from Brookvale Oval.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal an artist’s impression for a new grandstand — to seat between 3000 and 4000 fans — on the eastern side of the dilapidated yet famous footy venue.

Manly management believe the stand, which fans have been waiting 20 years for, will be finished for the start of rugby league’s 2018 season.

It will come as welcome news to fans worried their club may move games to Allianz Stadium, ANZ Stadium or Central Coast Stadium.

The new stand will be constructed between the two 20-metre lines. Brookie’s well-known hill will remain either side of the stand and at the northern end of the ground.

Building is planned to start in September either next season or in 2017 and be ready for kick-off in 2018, at the latest. Manly may ask the NRL to play a few away matches early in the season to ensure construction is complete.

Brookvale has seating for just 3900 fans and only 2200 of those are under cover. The new stand could double the seating capacity.

Manly have been in top-level talks about the stand with the State Government and Warringah Council. The club has no doubt a new grandstand would further boost their thriving membership numbers.

The cost of the stand has not yet been finalised but $10 million will come from a Federal Government grant. Manly still harbour plans for a completely new stadium when additional funds become available. This new stand has been dubbed “stage one”.

We are 100 per cent committed to Brookvale Oval and we want to demonstrate that by actually starting with this development,” Manly CEO Joe Kelly told The Daily Telegraph.

“We have never had any other plans than being at Brookie. I’d like to think this will allay any fears for fans and members.

“Brookvale Oval is our spiritual home and ‘The Fortress’ gives us a competitive advantage, no doubt. Both our owners, the Penn family, and the club, remain 100 per cent committed to Brookvale Oval now and long-term.

“We have never had another plan and any suggestion to the contrary is totally false.

“Our vision of a fully undercover stadia still remains, however our strategy is now focused on realising what is achievable in the shorter term. We plan to phase the bigger vision over time when more funding becomes available.

“Redevelopment plans for Brookvale Oval go back at least two decades and it is time that we made progress. Based on our discussions with Government, including the $10m Federal Government commitment, we are confident that we can achieve stage one by season 2018, at the latest.”

The only sad aspect of a new stand would be losing 60 metres of the old family hill.

“We are conscious of the atmosphere that comes with having the hill — there’s probably no better place to watch footy on a sunny Sunday afternoon,” Kelly said. “But we also have to cater for our families to ensure they are well looked after and under cover.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp... dailytelegraphnrlndm (Daily Telegraph | NRL)

b386f2837427493de33873c790d511a5 (1).jpg

This is the first realistic plan they've had for years. This may just get off the ground

It seems they are designing it to be able to add to it as more funding comes.

Thumbs up for me. I think I'll stay in the Jane Try but there would HAVE to be more legroom in the new stand which makes it tempting to move across.

Sun in your eyes on a sunny day would be the downside.

Hope it comes off.

So who is getting punted tomorrow, Release this story and in the last paragraph XXXXXX has left the club.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8