Manly Sea Eagles' salute to Bob Fulton, Steve Menzies

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Manly Sea Eagles' salute to Bob Fulton, Steve Menzies

By Dean Ritchie | August 22, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24219276-5006066,00.html

MANLY's two greatest players - Bob Fulton and Steve Menzies - will be immortalised at famous Brookvale Oval.

The ground's southern grandstand - which runs along Pittwater Road - will be known as the Fulton-Menzies Stand.

A plaque celebrating the stand's new name will be unveiled before Manly's Monday night match against Gold Coast on September 1.

Together Fulton and Menzies have been involved in 866 games coaching and playing at Manly.

News of the stand's name was announced at Menzies' testimonial dinner in Sydney last night.

"It was an exceptionally easy decision - 'Bozo' and 'Beaver' are true club legends," Manly chief executive Grant Mayer. "It is a great honour and they thoroughly deserve it."

Fulton is without doubt Manly's finest player and among the greatest players in rugby league's 100-year history. He played 219 games for Manly and then coached the Sea Eagles in 305 - 524 in all.

"I'm proud and honoured. It is an absolute privilege," Fulton told The Daily Telegraph last night. "I have unbelievably fond memories of Brookvale as a player and coach.

"With the upgrade to Brookvale, the ground will be there for years to come for all Manly fans."

The greatest tryscoring forward of all-time, Menzies has played 16 seasons at Brookvale and 342 games for the club. Game 343 is tomorrow against Wests Tigers at ANZ Stadium, Homebush.

"This is totally unexpected," Menzies said last night. "It is an absolute honour and a massive surprise to me. To be named in conjunction with an Immortal (Fulton) who had such a huge influence on my career makes it even more exciting."

Brookvale already has stands dedicated to Jane Try (who gave land to Warringah Council) and Ken Arthurson (Manly's godfather).

Menzies is in his last season with the club.

Absolutely great honour. If Menzies isn't named an immortal in the years to come then the league has some questions to answer

I am so stoked I will be at the Titans game and I wish I could have been there last night.

I can already hear the beaver chant after the Titans game

That's lovely  :) I think I'm going to cry on Beaver's last game at Brookie..

I hope they have those funny Beaver face masks things like they did for his 300th game - They were cute!!

nita link said:

I hope they have those funny Beaver face masks things like they did for his 300th game - They were cute!!
Yes it's always good to have Beaver on your face

Dan link said:
[quote author=nita link=topic=178231.msg194214#msg194214 date=1219358315]

Yes it's always good to have Beaver on your face
[/quote]
beaver is always cute :D

(why is it us blokes never grow tired of these beaver jokes :p)

*sigh*

It's such an unfortunate nickname , I know.

From a girls perspective - the hilarity of it was lost a long time ago..!

nita link said:
*sigh*

It's such an unfortunate nickname , I know.

From a girls perspective - the hilarity of it was lost a long time ago..!

Lost here too, however I would not be a guy if I didn't take any opportunity to throw in a beaver joke!

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6