Manly Sea Eagles' David Williams commanding interest at other clubs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Manly Sea Eagles' David Williams commanding interest at other clubs
By Stuart Honeysett
  February 12, 2009
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25042597-23214,00.html

DAVID Williams, aka "The Wolfman", became a cult hero on the northern beaches last season and is now just about the hottest property on the open market.
With a premiership ring on his finger and an Australian jumper in his cupboard, the Manly winger commands offers of $200,000 a season.
It is understood Parramatta, the Bulldogs and North Queensland are interested.
That is a far cry from last year when he earned $55,000 on a minimum wage contract and $20,000 in match payments.
"We're under no illusion that it will be difficult to retain all of our grand-final players in 2009," Manly chief executive Grant Mayer said.
"We're speaking to all player managers at the moment and there's no doubt that clubs will be chasing some of our talent."
Making Mayer's job more difficult is that Manly has four other players off contract: Matt Orford, Michael Robertson, Heath L'Estrange and Glenn Hall.
Robertson is in line for an upgrade after an impressive season in 2008 and it is believed the club would favour retaining him over Williams, given he can play full-back when Brett Stewart is out.
The Sea Eagles have two other wingers on their books: Michael Bani, who missed a chunk of last season through injury, and Tony Williams, who was recruited from the Eels.
Although there is speculation the Eels have made an offer, chief executive Denis Fitzgerald said the club had not begun to look at its 2010 roster.
Williams came through the lower grades at Parramatta before switching to Manly, where he made his first-grade debut last season.
Clouding the issue is winger Eric Grothe, who is on a $250,000 a season contract, but fell out of favour with the club last year.
But he has another year to run on his deal and has apparently thrived under coach Daniel Anderson, who guided him through Parramatta lower grades.
"We've made no decisions looking at 2010 but he had a terrific season last year," Fitzgerald said of Williams.
"Daniel is the man who is going to work things out but he needs a bit of time."
Cowboys chief executive Peter Parr said although they weren't looking beyond this season, Williams was a player of interest.
Williams has another incentive to join the Cowboys given his older brother, John, is on the club's books.
"When it came out after the World Cup that Manly might struggle to get him, we were a prime suspect in getting him because his brother plays here," Parr said.
"Obviously he's a very good player and it's a position we wouldn't mind having a look at, but we haven't discussed it at any great length and we've got a couple of outside backs coming off contract at the end of this year."
There could be better news for Mayer when the Manly board is expected to ratify extensions tying him and coach Des Hasler until the end of 2011.
The new deals come amid a backdrop of internal bickering, co-owners Max Delmege and Scott Penn at loggerheads over several issues.
In other news, Newcastle spoke to suspended centre Wes Naiqama about a police investigation into allegations he was involved in a hotel incident.
The Knights threw a lifeline to Naiqama last season after he spent eight months in periodic detention for repeated driving offences.
The incident could not have come at a worse time for the Fiji representative, given he is off contract this season.
"We spoke to Wes this morning and he provided us with a statement of his version of events," Newcastle chief executive Steve Burraston said.
"The club will continue to talk to police and the venue involved in the coming days.
"However, as this is a legal matter, the Newcastle Knights can't and won't be making any public comment until police complete their investigation."
The Warriors have announced they will wear black armbands in remembrance of Sonny Fai for their trials starting tonight against Melbourne in Hamilton.
Fai vanished in the surf at Bethells Beach on January 4, after saving his brother and four cousinshttp://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25042597-23214,00.html

Unfortunately we will lose him which is sad but this is what the salary cap does (unless ur at the roosters)
2 or 3 years from now we may lose 5 or 6 or more players from that team won the premiership. we just need a few young guys to step up like Hoppa jr - Foran & Cherry Evans.

I think it will be pretty funny if the Eels have to buy him back at $250,000 a season hahahahaha

Sad to see the kid go but you cant fault him for wanting a bit more cash

At least his manager is working hard for Wolfie by grabbing the press headlines. He has terrific marketability but I like that Robbo hasn't missed a game.

Yeah, let the eels pay through the nose for him. How much will they have to cough up for Tony Williams in 2 years? Hahahahaha

ManlyBacker link said:
Yeah, let the eels pay through the nose for him. How much will they have to cough up for Tony Williams in 2 years? Hahahahaha

Exactly. Best way to make money, buy em cheap, let em go when they get expensive.

As previously discussed $150 would be a good price if he wants more then go to another club, i would still prefer Roberston (Mr Reliable) and we have plenty of depth, even still don't resign him and resign Le'Strange & Hall on upgraded contracts.

On the Orford issues well we can either get him on the same amount, if he wants more then hes of to the UK if he does leave we can probably get Pearce on much less at a guess $300k a season.

I don't know about anyone else but if it were me, I would be more than happy to play in this winning team for $150k
my guess is greedy managers who are a blight on the game

If he wants more $$$$$ then I dont blame him going elsewhere and we CAN do without him. We'll still have Robbo, Bani, Neumann, T Williams and even young Hoppa to challenge for wing spots. I suppose it may come down to whether Orford wants to stay. If Orford decides to go, I'm pretty sure we'll keep Williams, and try to pursue Pearce.

If we buy Pearce instead of developing our own it's a decision we will regret.  Pearce is just not very good.

DSM5 what happens if Orford leaves and our young halves are not cut out for first grade?  We will regret that more. You do realise Orford might leave at the end of this season?  Who can we develop in that time?  No chance to win a premiership without a decent half, Pearce has loads of potential and the Roosters went ok last year with him at half. 

Non topline players who have landed at Manly and blossomed under Hasler & Co.

Robertson, Williams, Matai, GStewy, Hall, Watmough, Perry, Ballin, and the list goes on.

I am very confident in their ability to develop Pearce into a rep half.

A cullinan in the rough. 

Why are we even talking about Pearce when there are already three talented young blokes at the club who are halves?

Pearce would be a pretty expensive reserve grader.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4