Manly put Leeds on notice

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Manly put Leeds on notice

By Dean Ritchie | October 24, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24542090-5006066,00.html#

WITH his usual thoroughness and meticulous planning, Manly coach Des Hasler will take his Grand Final-winning squad to England for nearly three weeks to prepare for the annual World Club Challenge.

Although dates are to be confirmed, it appears the match against Super League champions Leeds will be played at Elland Road on March 1 with kick-off at 6pm (4am AEST).

Hasler is also planning a warm-up game against the Harlequins in London the week before. The Sea Eagles will leave Australia on February 14 and return on March 4.

"It shows we are taking it pretty seriously," said Manly and former St Helens star Jamie Lyon. "I know the boys are all keen to do well and I know Des will definitely want to win it.

"That is one of the coldest times in England. The northern beaches boys could be playing in snow - that would be a laugh.I remember once we played Warrington and I had an afternoon sleep before the game. In just 90 minutes, the whole area was white with snow."

The WCC will be one of the first matches former Newcastle, NSW and Australian hooker Danny Buderus plays for the Rhinos.

Manly chief executive Grant Mayer said his club was determined to secure the title to back up the club's NRL premiership.

"It is a long trip for us but it shows the competitive nature of the coach," Mayer said. "We want to make sure we win the World Club Challenge. We are taking it very seriously."

Asked would Bradford-bound Steve Menzies play one final match for Manly, Mayer said: "I don't think Beaver will be playing for us but we hope he will be in the crowd."

Manly will come up against former Eagles and current Leeds players Kylie Leuluai and Scott Donald. Leeds defeated St Helens in the Super League Grand Final to advance to the WCC.

The powerful Rhinos roster includes Ali Lauiti'iti, Brent Webb, Danny McGuire, Jamie Peacock, Keith Senior and Rob Burrow.

Manly will take their five World Cup players - David Williams, Anthony Watmough, Brent Kite, Josh Perry and Glenn Stewart.

It says a bit about the relative merits of the sides that I doubt Lulu would crack our 17 now.  Both of those guys are ones we let go for better players. 

Kick at Donald is the best option

Kick at Donald and run at him plenty.

Isn't Randall still playing for the Harlequins too?
Just stack up the blind side in that game :)

I read somewhere that randall is coming back to play for the Eels.  LOL at the reverse in player quality between the two sides.....

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Eels will be an easy 2 points next year

When did the filthy schmucks last beat us?  At Parra in 2006 I think?  I feel like I've had constant bragging rights for years.

We won't win the game, the odds are too heavily stacked in favour of the pommy side. Forget the travel and weather issues the biggest factor is ESL is already 3 weeks into their competition when the game is played.

The advantage that they will have in terms of match fitness etc will be to big a hurdle for any Aussie side to overcome.

Don't be too sure Pete
I think we will have 2 trials in Feb and 1 game over there before it so we'll have some match fitness too

Donald and Lulu would have been awesome under Des - any player could be.  He just knows which ones will be better than others  :p

eggson link said:
Donald and Lulu would have been awesome under Des - any player could be.  He just knows which ones will be better than others  :p
they both played under dessie dood

they were ok
but we have moved past players of their ability

Kylie vs Perry
could it end up in the car park :D

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8