Manly prop Brenton Lawrence’s Anzac Day mark of respect

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
Manly prop Brenton Lawrence’s Anzac Day mark of respect
APRIL 21, 20169:04AM
Lawrence's motivation
external

origin:video_integrator.Boa2h5MjE6a6TyXgyhCEJZuUT3LXwIND

DEAN RITCHIEThe Daily Telegraph
  • Email a friend
MANLY prop Brenton Lawrence knows just how gruelling and physically challenging the NRL can be.

He knows the mental demands it takes, and how his body will be battered and punished each weekend.

Yet no matter how courageous he may come across as being on the football field, Lawrence hates being labelled a hero.

That tag, according to Lawrence, belongs to real Australian heroes, those who have served this country. And among those is Lawrence’s immediate family.

His grandfather, Neil Harden, fought in Vietnam. His father, Marty, retired last year from the air force, while brother-in-law Michael Vickers has served in Afghanistan and Iraq with the army. Vickers is presently in Fiji completing relief work.

“I have some men there that I respect and am very close to and have served their country through the military,” Lawrence said.

3a9f3f1da505d0b126561ccda8a46e2c

Brenton Lawrence. The Sea Eagles at a squad media session at the Sydney Academy of Sport, Narrabeen.Source:News Corp Australia

Lawrence will stand proud this Anzac Day when the Last Post is played before his side’s match against Newcastle on Monday at Hunter Stadium.

To clearly demonstrate his admiration for the armed services, Lawrence had Lest We Forget tattooed on his right bicep.

The giant Sea Eagles forward speaks openly and passionately about the horrifying perils of war.

in-art-countdown-icon-128x128x3s.gif

in-art-soundanimation-icon-41x48.gif

“A football injury is one thing, but it is nothing compared to what those diggers endured and what a lot of the current serving men and women in the Australian defence force now endure,” Lawrence said.

“At Gallipoli, climbing the mountain and jumping over the trenches to certain death.

“Almost 100 years ago those kids would have probably been on a different level to the kids now.

“But at the same time, a lot of them were 19-year-old kids. It’s hard to imagine really, it would have been horrific.

50991e7842b6f60e718f71323a87aa35

Brenton Lawrence shows his Lest We Forget tattoo.Source:Supplied

“But across the First World War and then again the Second World War there was mass murder on a scale we have never seen before on this earth.

“Then again Vietnam, with young fellas going over as national servicemen who didn’t want to be there in the first place, you were told you had to go. That I can imagine would be terrifying.”

Lawrence will play his first Anzac Day match on Monday.

“The Last Post is a powerful piece of music that you can’t help but be taken back to the time of the Anzacs,” he said. “

And it always makes me think about those young men a long time ago who went off to war with great gusto and excitement, I guess not really knowing what we know now having such media coverage of everything. A lot of the poor buggers never came home.”

Asked about his tattoo, Lawrence said: “I was a lot younger and wanted to get a tattoo and I wanted to have something respectful and not stupid.’’

Originally published as Lawrence’s Anzac Day mark of respect

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ma...t/news-story/c960fd0fffe8588eb575e2c49ea41654

Big thumbs up to BJ:thumbsup:

Didn't he write the same article last year?

Still, given all the other dribble he repeat this is one of Ritchie's best.

Maybe his tricep says "Lest we forget"....and his bicep says...."where the bicep is!"

But I agree with the sentiment. Hoping for a big win against the knights. :)

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4