Manly Pride

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lurker

Beaver lover
I wasn't sure what thread to post this in but felt like putting my thoughts on paper.

I swear some people get their ****s and giggles from trolling their own team. We have 'supporters' on here who claim to be died in the wool maroon and white. Yet at the first sign of any hurdle, speed bump, slightly negative piece of click bait (which is often lies taken off these very forums) they drop their bundle and start bagging the crap out of their own club. There'll always be some whipping boy in regards to players (and I've been informed of the goat pictures which hasson has now acquired) but the wholesale bashing of the club doesn't strike me as true support it feels like trolling from within. I'm not sure if people get enjoyment out of using this site to vent their own frustrations but it gets tiring to read.

When we get bad news it is threads and threads full of bagging. When we get good news like out of ballins own mouth that he trusts Kelly and his re-signing is as good as done. We get people doubting it and somehow applying a negative spin. Then we have the contradiction of people saying we shouldn't sign chez and foz for that much money (over a mil each) but widely lambasting the club for not having done it. If there was an agreement with DCE verbal or not he would have signed on the dotted line or asked for a piece of paper right then. If he didn't sign its his fault for holding out for more money not the clubs.

Whoever owns the club doesn't matter to me because I support the colours and whoever runs out on the weekend regardless of their contract situation (I even cheer hasson). That means by extension i'll have some faith in the owners because the manly spirit is bigger than that. It is carried on by guys like beaver, BK, Cliffy, Bozo, tooves, Bryant (golden eagles), and countless countless other greats who still keep an association and involvement in the club. That culture will stay long after the current crop of players has gone, many of them will become involved in maintaining it and passing it to the next generation. Guys like killer, snake, ballin, matai. We have one of the strongest, most united old boys groups of any of the clubs in the NRL. We will always maintain our success because we have come through far worse and that spirit has been shaped by the hatred of 15 other clubs. It was sad that gifty went but it was a way of life in professional sport. The baton will be passed to the new generation of buhrer, the trbos, hiku, gutho and we'll see who else. It's the same reason that even experienced journeymen like mason comment on the attitude and belief of the club.

So my fellow silvertails. Have some faith! As a club we are strong. We have cash and we have an unsurpassed club spirit which thrives in the face of adversity. Don't get bogged down in the negativity. So we may not make a gf this year (I'm optimistic) but we'll certainly never be claiming a spoon!!! And if you think we will be then maybe there is another forum more suited to you (one eyed eels) because in 60+ years we haven't got one and you can be damn sure no player will ever want to have that record broken. The manly spirit wouldn't allow it!

Rant over!

Have to laugh at the influx of "I am cancelling my membership if we sign ....." Let the executive do what they do, there is a reason emotional and irrational fans don't make football decisions.
If they did we would have Gift, Choc, DCE and Foran taking up more than half of our cap alone.

PS I hope we get a good crowd and people remember why we all support the maroon and white. It's about the team, the colours and the club, not the management.

Persevere!

I have just returned from a holiday in Fiji where I was surprised by the number of gay men who were working as wait staff and various resorts I visited. They did their job well, were perfect for the hospitality profession, and were well accepted and appreciated by fellow workers and tourists like me.
It got me thinking...
Being gay in Fiji is not an issue (from my observations), so why did it pose such a problem for certain of our Pacifica players?
I was one posters who supported the rights of the players, and put the problem it cause down to the club (80%) and the NRL (20%) for not allowing them to wear the regular Manly jersey. I attributed no 'blame' on the players. Now I'm questioning my stance. Without letting the club off the hook, I now believe certain Pacifica players made out the 'Pride' issue to be far larger than their fellow Fijian/Pacifica country residents do.

I have just returned from a holiday in Fiji where I was surprised by the number of gay men who were working as wait staff and various resorts I visited. They did their job well, were perfect for the hospitality profession, and were well accepted and appreciated by fellow workers and tourists like me.
It got me thinking...
Being gay in Fiji is not an issue (from my observations), so why did it pose such a problem for certain of our Pacifica players?
I was one posters who supported the rights of the players, and put the problem it cause down to the club (80%) and the NRL (20%) for not allowing them to wear the regular Manly jersey. I attributed no 'blame' on the players. Now I'm questioning my stance. Without letting the club off the hook, I now believe certain Pacifica players made out the 'Pride' issue to be far larger than their fellow Fijian/Pacifica country residents do.
Fijians aren’t Mormons ( to my understanding ), whereas Tonga / Samoa mostly are.

We don’t have any Fijians I think.

It got me thinking...

There may be a difference between accepting, and live and let live ... and being asked to actively partake in a promotion ..

Just guessing, but I reckon they couldn't care less if someone's gay or not ... just don't ask them to wear the tshirt...

There may be a difference between accepting, and live and let live ... and being asked to actively partake in a promotion ..

Just guessing, but I reckon they couldn't care less if someone's gay or not ... just don't ask them to wear the tshirt...

Therein lies the problem. By wearing a rainbow strip, you're not 'promoting' homosexuality. The same way they're not really 'promoting' gambling or alcohol or whatever else. It's just a jersey. You can't have it both ways.

Imagine the outrage if they decided not to wear an indigenous pattern on their jersey because it doesn't align with their cultural beliefs.

I don't want to stir up a debate about this again because it's well and truly over, but whilst the Club and the NRL are mostly to blame, the hypocrisy of the players will always mean I attribute some blame to them also.

Funny you say that. In my hotel room in Fiji was The Book of Morman, not a Christian Bible as you would expect, so there must be plenty of Mormans in Fiji.
I actually tried to read it but only got about as far as I do with the usual Bozo post and gave up.
Are you suggesting that there should be a "Book of Bozo," then? Or Bozo-ism as an alternative religion? If so, I am sure that Speed Kills will have its own chapter, and Perspective Time will become a mantra. Be careful what you wish for @The Who

Therein lies the problem. By wearing a rainbow strip, you're not 'promoting' homosexuality. The same way they're not really 'promoting' gambling or alcohol or whatever else. It's just a jersey. You can't have it both ways.

Imagine the outrage if they decided not to wear an indigenous pattern on their jersey because it doesn't align with their cultural beliefs.

I don't want to stir up a debate about this again because it's well and truly over, but whilst the Club and the NRL are mostly to blame, the hypocrisy of the players will always mean I attribute some blame to them also.

Now, to believers, the bible is the Bible .. and There is no mention of gambling in the bible ... and not only did Jesus drink alcohol, his party trick was turning water into wine ...

Now, most churches, historically aware of the damage an excess of either can create frown upon both and either discourage or ban them ... BUT .. neither to my knowledge are considered heaven defying sins ..

However, homosexuality is in the bible, and apparently according to those nutters ... a sin.

SO, calling the 7 hypocrites is just plain wrong ...

Now, to believers, the bible is the Bible .. and There is no mention of gambling in the bible ... and not only did Jesus drink alcohol, his party trick was turning water into wine ...

Now, most churches, historically aware of the damage an excess of either can create frown upon both and either discourage or ban them ... BUT .. neither to my knowledge are considered heaven defying sins ..

However, homosexuality is in the bible, and apparently according to those nutters ... a sin.

…. Are you saying the sinful seven are homosexuals?

Not wanting to go back over old arguments but the lack of tolerance and acceptance demonstrated is the issue for most people. The potential hypocrisy is another layer

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4