Manly player banned over drugs test

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Manly youngster banned over drugs test

AAP Wed, 26 Aug 2009 18:09:51
http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latestnews/newsarticle/tabid/10874/newsid/56436/manly-youngster-banned-over-drugs-test/default.aspx

Manly under-20s player Shane Gray has been suspended for two years by the NRL following a positive test to Clenbuterol, the anabolic agent which also cost Cronulla's Reni Maitua a ban.

The positive sample was collected in an Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) out-of-competition test in June and confirmed through subsequent sample analysis.

Gray has accepted the sanction, which has been imposed under the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) code.

"He has made it clear that he has at no time sought to deliberately break the WADA code and remains unaware as to how the substance entered his system," an NRL statement said.

Gray has been provisionally suspended since June 18 and will next be eligible to play on June 19, 2011.

Maitua was also suspended for two years, in May this year.

To be fair, the guy is saying that the only thing he can trace it back to is a supplement he took, and there was no mention of it in the ingredients list

I think the ASADA would be doing sport and athletes a massive favor if they opperate a service in which players can buy suppliments through them. Only those the ASADA deem ok to use.

This way when something does go wrong, the athlete has nobody to blame but themselves for not taking the right option and sticking with a trustworthy organisation.

For all i know it might already be happening but if its not, imo its something they should surely look into. You can't expect up and coming kids to get it right every time. This could just save us a few bright stars in the sporting community and not be lost thanks to an error such as ingredients on bottles being omitted.

Flip link said:
I think the ASADA would be doing sport and athletes a massive favor if they opperate a service in which players can buy suppliments through them. Only those the ASADA deem ok to use.

This way when something does go wrong, the athlete has nobody to blame but themselves for not taking the right option and sticking with a trustworthy organisation.

For all i know it might already be happening but if its not, imo its something they should surely look into. You can't expect up and coming kids to get it right every time. This could just save us a few bright stars in the sporting community and not be lost thanks to an error such as ingredients on bottles being omitted.

bloody good idea..

Except that young players are hammered and hammered with education on what substances they can and can't take. They are also warned to be certain what they take and double check all ingredients etc. It may have been innocent but probably also sloppy (without knowing the facts?)

I was speaking with the guy who manages the sports shop and a suppliments shop up here tonight when I was buying new footy boots. He said that there are a number of wada approved supplements that have been found with banned substances in them later

I thought there was a number available to all athletes that they could call and check any substance???

Here it is

Anti-Doping Hotline - call 13 000 ASADA (13 000 27232)

The Anti-Doping Hotline is a key resource in ASADA’s education program.

Athletes in doubt about the status in sport of a substance or medication are encouraged to check with either the Status of medications page on the ASADA website, or by calling the Anti-Doping Hotline on 13 000 ASADA (13 000 27232).

The Anti-Doping Hotline is a confidential, free call service for athletes and their support staff that offers information on the status in sport of Australian pharmaceutical medications and substances.

To check the status of substances over the phone call the Anti-Doping Hotline 13 000 ASADA (13 000 27232) between 8am-8pm (AEST) 7 days a week. A unique reference number is provided to each caller as a record of their enquiry.

Athletes should remember that medical practitioners have access to MIMS reference material that lists the status of Australian medicines in sport.

Yeah that is there but what happens if you take a substance that has the WADA tick on it and everything seems fine with it, and then you find out later a banned substance was in there somewhere.

I am still amused that a cricketer (Warne) got banned, I mean check out the gut on lots of cricketers :)

But anyway it sounds like this kid wasnt aware and to all intents and purposes he thought he was doing the right thing. He is young so it might not be the end of the world for him, but its a massive set back.

Flip link said:

Not a bad idea.
There were a few in athletics a few years ago that got done and then were let off as it was found that the supplements they were using had the roids unlisted. From memory i think it was nandrolone.

busted for using clenbuterol! dumbass, all it does is increase your core body temperature to help your body burn fat. It can cause headaches in involuntary shaking in you hands - Glad he got caught now!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6