Manly played like men possessed (News Ltd Article)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jado

Reserve Grader
This article is great, as it tells the underlying heroic efforts of Manly to win Monday's game, which the match summary articles failed to reveal. Again another surprise from News. Good to see.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ke-men-possessed/story-e6frexri-1226637149321

IT'S been rated as one of the gutsiest wins in Manly's proud history - and Fox Sports Stats show Monday night's thriller over the Dragons also equalled the record for the least possession of a winning team since 2007.

With only 39 per cent of possession for the game, Manly somehow held on to beat St George Illawarra 24-18 for what must be the NRL equivalent of the impossible win.

Manly led 18-0 midway through the first half before the Dragons hit back with four straight tries to level at 18-all.

At that point the Sea Eagles looked gone before a late try to Jorge Taufua got them home.

The previous record low possession percentage by a winning team was the Gold Coast's 39 in their win over Cronulla in 2011 - while five other games dating back to 2007 show teams winning with 41 per cent.

Yesterday Manly great Bob Fulton rated it one of the most courageous wins he'd seen by a Manly team while coach Geoff Toovey was last night still just as proud of his players as he was immediately after the game.

"It was tough, alright," he said. "It was definitely up there (with the best he has seen). Some of the forwards worked themselves to a standstill."T

oovey then rattled off the tackle counts with great pride.

Glenn Stewart finished with 42, Matt Ballin had 39, Anthony Watmough 38, Brent Kite 30, Brenton Lawrence 34 ... and on it went.

"And you remember we had some quality players missing so it was a very pleasing performance," the Manly coach said.

"We have some experienced heads and some youth and that is what you need."

If Manly had 39% possession for the entire game, then it must have been something like 20% for the last 55 minutes of the game.

This game was a great precursor for finals footy.

Manly have added yet another layer of resilience to their armour :angel:

That dumb game at AAMI last year was due to panic spreading from a few mistakes.
This game showed the Boys that they do not have to stress out over mistakes, they are just an element, and not the script, to a game :idea: Same goes for bad Ref calls and weather shifts during a game.

Great stuff oovey. oovey would be happy with the tackling efforts of the boys especially as oovey was such a terrific tackler himself.
In oovey we trust.

Re: RE: Manly played like men possessed (News Ltd Article)

Clint said:
Great stuff oovey. oovey would be happy with the tackling efforts of the boys especially as oovey was such a terrific tackler himself.
In oovey we trust.

Ooves is the est.

I thought I read somewhere that we went through a 20min period of the game when we only had 20% possession. When you add to that the extra players the dragqueens had (the guys who washed their red/white jerseys and turned them pink) it gives an indication on just how bad the queens played.

The Daily Telegraph is truly one of the finest publications in Australia. They have some of the best journos on their payroll, and they have a genuine understanding of the game and know a great side when they see one. I've always said that. Lets hear it for the Daily Telegraph!!

(sarcasm implied)

mozgrame said:
The Daily Telegraph is truly one of the finest publications in Australia. They have some of the best journos on their payroll, and they have a genuine understanding of the game and know a great side when they see one. I've always said that. Lets hear it for the Daily Telegraph!!

(sarcasm implied)
It certainly is. I just wish they'd print it on softer paper.

Moondog said:
mozgrame said:

(sarcasm implied)
It certainly is. I just wish they'd print it on softer paper.
Why, what has your backside ever done to deserve that!

Who owns the Telegraph. ? Who finances the Scum ? Who pays for the 'additional' match payments for scum 'stars' ? Who taps into the phones of parents, show biz celebrities, pollies etc ??

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2