1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manly, Penrith throw big money at Todd Carney

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Berkeley_Eagle, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    Manly, Penrith throw big money at Todd Carney

By Josh Massoud and James Phelps
    http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23293366-5006066,00.html

TODD Carney hasn't played a minute of representative football - but the Raiders wild child will become one of the game's richest players with Manly and Penrith making $1.6m plays to lure the playmaker from Canberra.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal both clubs have offered Carney four-year deals worth an average of $400,000 per season, a salary matched only by NRL royalty such as Sonny Bill Williams and Mark Gasnier.

The Raiders will today make a last-ditch bid to keep their prized local junior - but need to better the rich offers from their Sydney rivals.

Sources close to Carney - who just last week finished a club-sanctioned community service stint for his role in a police pursuit - said the 22-year-old was strongly considering turning his back on the Raiders and linking with Manly.

Carney recently toured the Sea Eagles training facility at Narrabeen and is favouring a move to Manly over a reunion with his former coach Matt Elliott at Penrith.

By heavily back-ending his deal, Manly would be in a position to fit Carney under the salary cap, especially with highly-paid stars Steve Bell and Matt Orford coming off-contract in 2008 and 2009 respectively.

Manly CEO Grant Mayer confirmed his club's interest in Carney, but claimed a "formal offer" was yet to be made.

"There's no doubt Todd Carney is a terrific player, but there's a lot of work to be done with our current playing roster before we worry about new recruits," Mayer said.

The Panthers, original favourites to snare Carney, were also keeping tight-lipped. Elliott and Carney have kept in touch since the coach arrived at the foot of the mountains last season, their on-going relationship fuelling long-held suspicions among Canberra insiders that Penrith have been poised to pounce for some time.

"At the moment, it's something for Todd and his manager to sort out," Penrith general manager Mick Leary said.

Raiders boss Don Furner met with Carney's management on Wednesday, where he was told of the higher bids. Canberra have since revised the length of their deal from three to four years, but will struggle to match $400,000-a-season.

2. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    How good is Canberra's problem child? Honestly.

The Eagles are offering Snake around 400k pa for an exemplary player who has shown loyalty, is the pinup of every female on the peninsula and everywhere else, is a real speed merchants and try scoring whiz and has representative honours.

So why is the same lolly being banded around for Carney? This will only cause severe problems if we get him.

3. fLIP

fLIP UFO Hunter

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +790 / 15
    He's a great player but a grub off the feild from all accounts.

And are we looking for him to play this season for in 2009?

4. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,084 / 285
    There's only one pinup guy on the Northern Beaches, and that's me !! :eek:

5. Utility Player

Utility Player Well-Known Member

Lismore
    Ratings:
    +456 / 4
    It was pinup not pin dick  8)

6. willstyles

willstyles Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Carney would be epic as a replacement for Steve Bell (moving Lyon back into the centres), with Orford then getting turfed not long after which would free up cash.

For '09

3. Matai
    4. Bell
    6. Carney
    7. Ox
    9. Ballin

Would be wicked.

And beyond that.... Hopefully another signing of a young up and comer along the lines of Blake Green at the Sharkies this year, unless someone like Keiran Foran can make the step up in time (which would be a big ask for him).

3. Matai
    4. Lyon
    6. Carney/???
    7. Carney/???
    9. Ballin

Carney's talent on the field is unquestionable. The kid is going to be a star. I don't know how a move to the city would treat him - has the potential to go either way. He might go off the rails with all the additional temptations offered by the big smoke, or on the other hand he might relish the chance to get away from the bad influences at home (mates from school who have always been trouble etc).

Given his talent I'd be all for giving him a shot.

7. Berkeley_Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    the article is still up at MSE ?

8. clontaago

clontaago Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    I think its this year Flip but I may be wrong

9. Berkeley_Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    Raiders put in counter bid for Carney

February 29, 2008

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23214,00.html

CANBERRA chief executive Don Furner says the Raiders have "as good a chance as any" NRL club of signing their keenly-sought playmaker Todd Carney on a long-term deal.

The Raiders put in a counter bid to keep the 22-year-old after rivals Manly and Penrith tabled lucrative offers this week, reportedly worth $1.6 million over four years from 2009.

"We put another offer through. I'm not commenting on money," Furner said.

"Am I confident? We're as good a chance as any. I was always aware that they were trying to get him."

If we were originally offering around 350k, then you'd have to think the revised deal would have to be near the 400k mark offered by Penrith and Manly.

I don't even think he's worth 400k, and this coming from one of his biggest fans.

If he walks away from the Raiders, after all they've stood by him, and given him an exceptionally fair market deal ... well, I'll leave my negative comments about him if/when that happens.

10. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    His off-field actions remind me of Tim Smith, but his stats are very impressive.

11. SilentBob

SilentBob Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Definitely worth the gamble. If he keeps out of trouble then he's a very good chance at being a long term NSW player at the very least.

12. Berkeley_Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    Bozo backs Carney bid

Jason Avedissian

1 March 2008
    http://manlydaily.com.au/article/2008/03/01/9011_sports.html

The Sea Eagles are actively chasing the signature of Canberra ace Todd Carney.

MANLY great Bob Fulton has endorsed the Sea Eagles pursuit of Raiders playmaker Todd Carney.

The 22-year-old is believed to be keen on a move away from Canberra to increase his representative chances.

The Raiders, Penrith and Manly are in a three-way tangle to secure the youngster.

Fulton told The Manly Daily yesterday Carney would be an invaluable acquisition for the Sea Eagles 2009 roster.

"The kid can play," Fulton said last night.

"From the club's point of view it's good management that they are thinking that far ahead.

"There's lots of good judges who rate him and obviously Manly have a high opinion of him. This is about the future of the club."

Raiders CEO Don Furner told the Daily Carney is a "50-50" chance of remaining in the nation's capital.

"We are trying our best," he said yesterday, with a touch of gloom in his voice.

"He has always been in our long term future plans. We'll give it our best shot.

"We have put in our last offer and hopefully we'll get an answer before the season kick-off. It's 50-50 at the moment."

Penrith general manager Michael Leary said all his club could do now was "sit and wait".

"We are just waiting to see what the kid wants to do," he said.

Carney is being viewed as a five-eighth at Manly in 2009.

Manly boss Grant Mayer said the Sea Eagles have not made an offer to Carney, but are interested.

"He's a very good player," Mayer said.

"But, we still strongly believe his current club are favourites to sign him."

Meanwhile Sea Eagles hooker Matt Ballin has expressed a desire to be involved with a Sunshine Coast team should they be admitted into the NRL in the future.

"If a team was based here down the track, I'd love to be involved because I intend coming back to the Sunshine Coast to live," Ballin told The Sunshine Coast Daily ahead of last night's trial in Queensland against the Warriors.

13. Berkeley_Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    Carney set to leave Canberra

By James Phelps | March 01, 2008

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23299300-5006066,00.html

* Email article
        * ShareAdd to DiggAdd to del.icio.usPost to NewsVinePost to FacebookWhat are these?
        * Printer friendly
        * Text size+-

TODD Carney's future at Canberra looks doomed after the Raiders yesterday tabled their final offer to the star halfback.

The Saturday Daily Telegraph understands the Raiders deal has fallen well short of the stunning $1.6 million on offer from powerful Sydney clubs Manly and Penrith.

Carney, considered a future representative player, last night said he would not look at the offer until Monday when he returns from Townsville after tonight's pre-season hit-out against the Cowboys.

"I just want to get the game out of the way before I look at it," Carney said. "I'll go through the offers with my manager (Dave Riolo) next week."

Raiders boss Don Furner was last night hopeful that the deal, believed to be worth about $1.2 million over four years, would be enough to keep the playmaker in Canberra.

"We put the offer forward to his manager, but I am not expecting to hear anything until next week," Furner said. "I'm not sure what the detail of the offers from the other clubs are, but we have put together a very good offer.

"It's a very good offer and we are hopeful of keeping him here."

Furner said the Raiders had no qualms about offering Carney a four-year deal - despite long-term deals being considered by many to be a major risk for clubs, with the prospect of players being hit by injury or form slumps.

"It didn't bother us," Furner said. "We were happy to offer him two, three or four years."

The favourites to snare Carney's prized signature are Manly, but Sea Eagles CEO Grant Mayer was keeping his cards close to his chest.

"We have made our offer but we are yet to hear back," Mayer said.

"The Raiders are his incumbent club and I would think they would be his first choice.

"We will just watch with interest. We are still in the process of managing our existing players. To discuss negotiations of an existing player or a new player coming in openly is something we don't do.

"It is, however, good to see the players have faith in Manly and the direction of the club."

14. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,084 / 285
    Wow, would be a pretty good buy !

15. willstyles

willstyles Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    The Raiders think he is signed, sealed and delivered to Manly already, but Manly (for various reasons) think there is a long way to go.

16. Berkeley_Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    I can see the speculation on this ebbing backward and forward for weeks

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If we sign him then Orford's contract won't be renewed when it finishes in 2009.

18. Garts

Garts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 18
    Would love him at Manly, but $400k? Also would feel for the Canberra fans, they would be dirty!!!!

19. Berkeley_Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    Bulldogs join rush for Carney

By Steve Mascord | March 04, 2008 http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23315913-5006066,00.html

BULLDOGS officials last night confirmed they were the fourth club in the race for Canberra halfback Todd Carney.

In the biggest transfer-market bunfight of the pre-season, Manly, Penrith and the Raiders are each believed to have made offers in excess of $1.2 million over four years for the 21-year-old.

While Canberra want an answer by the start of the premiership, Carney's agent David Riolo said last night there was no panic in negotiations.

However, Dogs recruitment manager Keith Onslow told The Daily Telegraph: "We have held some preliminary talks with David in relation to Todd.

"We are well aware of the situation regarding Todd and his pricetag. At this stage things have not progressed further.

"Our initial talks were a couple of months ago. We are really happy with the players we have in that position at the moment."

Carney, 21, said: "I am waiting to hear back from my manager about the Raiders' final offer.

"I know they said they want me to make a decision before the start of the season but this isn't the sort of thing you rush.

"They haven't said they will take the offer off the table.

"They say it will have an effect on the players but obviously this is a big thing for me too."

Asked to sum up the clubs already publicly linked to him, Carney said: "Penrith would be a new start and opportunity with Craig Gower gone. Manly, they are a great club who have been very successful recently and for years. It would be a chance to play with some classy players.

"And Canberra is obviously a place I enjoy and there are some good players coming through. I really am not leaning one way or another."

Carney said he could "go close" to meeting the Raiders' deadline.

Complicating the Bulldogs' interest is the fact Onslow could be confirmed as Newcastle's new recruitment officer as soon as this morning. The club's executive is due to discuss the position.

Canberra general manager Don Furner said: "We just need to know, because we have to make plans.

"If he decides he is going elsewhere, we get on with life. That happened with a coach two years ago."

In other news, St George Illawarra forward Ricky Thorby has been charged with a grade two dangerous throw in Saturday night's Charity Shield.

He faces a two-match suspension with an early guilty plea, three with an unsuccessful challenge.

South Sydney are confident centre Nigel Vagana (knee) will be fit for the season opener against Sydney Roosters despite his Charity Shield injury.

Manly fullback Brett Stewart (knee) will be picked for the March 15 clash with Cronulla.

Newcastle's Adam MacDougall, Matt Hilder and Danny Wicks - who missed the win over Cronulla at the weekend - will be back for round one.

The Sharks expect to have Greg Bird, Brett Kearney and Luke Covell back on deck, while Nathan Stapleton hopes to be available despite being carried off on a stretcher on Saturday night.

Likewise, Brisbane will have Darren Lockyer, Justin Hodges and Ben Hannant back after they missed Saturday night's narrow win over Redcliffe.

North Queensland hooker Aaron Payne limped off at the weekend with a hamstring injury but is confident of being fit for the Telstra Premiership kick-off.

New Gold Coast recruit Matt Cross suffered a badly broken nose in a lower-grade trial in Cairns at the weekend but joined his Titans teammates in a Coffs Harbour camp yesterday.

20. Berkeley_Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    Carney has 2m reasons not to stay green

Andrew Webster | March 8, 2008

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/carneys-2m-reasons-to-leave/2008/03/07/1204780061525.html

A FRANK discussion with Canberra great Mal Meninga has not convinced halfback Todd Carney to remain at the club beyond this season in the face of an upgraded $2million bid from Penrith.

Carney confirmed Raiders board member Meninga sought him out during the week to offer advice as the 21-year-old weighed up four-year deals then believed to be worth as much as $1.6m, from Canberra, Manly and Penrith.

"I'm still undecided and I won't be making a decision this weekend - but I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get it sorted before the start of the season," Carney said. "Mal was offering his support as a former player and a former Raiders great who has been through this before, at this club.

"We talked about the last couple of weeks and the last couple of years I've had here and the things I've achieved. And the things I haven't achieved. He wasn't trying to convince me to stay. It was just being very supportive."

While Penrith's general manager, Mick Leary, described the report of an increased offer as "ridiculous", the Herald understands the Panthers have tabled a four-year deal worth close to $500,000 a season, which includes some add ons.

"I've heard that one too and it's not right," Leary said. "I'd say if we offered him that amount it would be an easy decision for him to make. I spoke to [Carney's manager] David Riolo last night but that was not something we discussed. Last week, we were in the mix with Canberra and now Manly has emerged. I'm not sure where we are in the pecking order. It's up to the kid now."

Asked if Penrith had increased their original offer at any stage, he said: "Not at all."

Raiders chief executive Don Furner said he was relieved to learn that Carney wanted to decide his future before the start of the year.

"That's the first time he's said that, which is a relief," Furner said. "The last I heard Todd was torn and wanted more time."

Meninga's words of wisdom were in stark contrast to those of Raiders chairman John McIntyre, who told The Canberra Times on Thursday that if Carney defected to another NRL team it would be a "slap in the face" to those who had helped to develop him.

Carney declined to bite back last night but said that he had received plenty of support from teammates.

While he is adamant he wants to seal his future before the Raiders' opening match of the season against the Knights at EnergyAustralia Stadium next Saturday, he said the off-field dramas of last season, when he was caught by police drink-driving, had given him perspective.

"It's not a major drama compared to last year," he said.

"It's a good position to be in but I would like to get it sorted out as soon as possible. It's not like I'm finishing training and then going home to think about it. But I'm going to have to make a decision before the start of the season."

If they are going to throw that sort of Money around why not Israel Falou