Manly penalty loading - does it exist?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagle-rock08

Reserve Grader
I've heard of this before but want to explore it a bit more.

It's something that if Manly does anything wrong they get a bigger penalty than other sides.

Do the referees and officials have "angry vision" when watching Manly as opposed to other clubs?

For example:

G Inglis shoulder charges Williams to stop a try and it is seen as great defence even though the shoulder charge is officially outlawed.

Steve Matai (in my opinion) unintentionally hits the ball when tackling G Burgess and it hits his head. Steve is penalised and misses a week. Whereas S Burgess comes in throwing punches as third man in and isn't even penalised, sent off or sin-binned. And then comes out and says the Matai hit was legal which was echoed by L Daley the NSW SOO coach.

And many others I will not cite.

Now before you say that every team thinks they are always hard done by by their own supporters such as Illawarra last Monday night, the above incidents and probably others seem to point to a "Manly aggression" by officials. Fifty fifty calls seem to go against Manly or the punishment seems to be imposed to a greater level if its Manly as opposed to other teams.

Could it be that the officials grew up following say Cronulla, Parramatta, Brisbane etc and as a result have a deep-rooted hatred of everything Manly from an early stage of their lives? I don't know but could it be true?

Would such deep-rooted hatred flow into subconscious decisions and penalties against Manly? Or in fact is there a "Manly loading?"

Please note that I am not saying the NRL or their officials are particularly against Manly but does the subconscious play a role in their decision-making during Manly games and subsequent reports and referrals to the judiciary? It seems to me, a two eyed Manly supporter (one eye is white the other is maroon) that the NRL or these officials are out to get Manly.

For we all know there is no middle ground with Manly. One either loves them as we do hates them with a passion. Whereas if for example Manly are not playing say Melbourne and the Warriors are playing them most of us may hope for a Warriors win.

What are your thoughts? Is there a Manly loathing? Is there a Manly hatred and as such are any and all penalties against Manly higher in severity than those against other teams?

Or to put it simply, is there a "Manly loading" when it comes to penalties?

I am sure there are many other examples abound that could indicate a "Manly penalty loading" or indeed a Manly loathing by officialdom either consciously or subconsciously.

Yep I reckon it is alive and kicking. You also have to ask - why do we never get Gavin Badger ref our games, the same way we rarely got Steve Lyons ref our games.

can check this thread out too.

http://forums.silvertails.net/Thread-Ref-Bias

Steve Lyons has gone. Wasn't contracted this season. And he didn't get any Manly games as he was a supporter. check out 'subconscious bias' on the web. It exists and there's a test to expose it. The NRL don't use it however. Interestingly there's an article in the SMH about subconscious bias in the judiciary, so one can't expect it to not exist in referees heads. Obviously, from the games I've watched, it does.

I find we get a few "inconsequential" penalties as well. The type on the first tackle when we're 5m out.
This makes the count look fairly even but when you examine the benefit received, there's a huge difference.

dont forget the even up 1 minute before half time. We are the kings of getting that one

You could post this on every single NRL clubs supporter forum and get the same answer in relation to their team.

Tin_Foil_Hat___Short_Version_by_Mirz123.gif

MadMarcus said:
Why not shoe? Brisbane have been around for 25 years.

I figure anyone under 25 won't be a league official yet, and I can't imagine anyone who was a kid when the broncs were formed would change from the club they already supported. I could be wrong on this second point of course. Anyway I don't trust anyone who changes the club they support (unless they change to manly).

Tin foil hat time

I agree post this on ANY supporter forum and they would all say the same thing.

Although I do think at times we do NOT get the run of the green.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Tin foil hat time

I agree post this on ANY supporter forum and they would all say the same thing.

Although I do think at times we do NOT get the run of the green.

lol

Awesome

No favours this week with Checchin and rookie Perenara in charge. Why, like the vs Souths match, are we not seeing the best refs set aside for top four match-ups, given the very physical nature of those contests?

Because I don't believe the ref who was voted the best ref by the players is allowed to ref our games

Hamster Huey said:
No favours this week with Checchin and rookie Perenara in charge. Why, like the vs Souths match, are we not seeing the best refs set aside for top four match-ups, given the very physical nature of those contests?

Not sure the NRL believe they have 2 good refs lol.

Bur i agree, the 2 best who ever they are should be in charge.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6