Manly on FOX

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
bones said:
RiverEagle said:
RIP the old Moose.

And Adrian Shelford too. He'd be turning 50 this year. He's been gone 11 years already. Passed away at just 39 :(

Really mate?

You know, I never knew that...

One of those things I missed over the years I guess.

What happened to Adrian?

39 is ridiculously young .

Edit: I had a look...heart attack in the UK.

Having heart issues in our family it is a terrible, and far too common problem, even now.

Adrian was embarking on a new chapter in life, as a teacher.

I guess he's up there keeping company with the Moose, amongst many recently.

Manly V Easts classic match
1997 Prelim Final
Fox Sports 1
5am Tue 24th June.

I don't have Foxtel but I do remember seeing a video of the Manly vs Balmain game, and there are highlights on YouTube.

Some great names in that game from both sides. Snoz, Des (in the centres no less), Craig Hancock, Cliffy and Tooves in the halves. The only big name forward we had was Marty Bella. The Tigers had Garry Jack, Tim Brasher, Blocker, Benny, Sirro and Junior Pearce coming off the bench.

Who was better to listen to. The lot we get these days on Nein....or the Moose and Graham "screams like Darrel Eastlake" Hughes on Ten? Personally I liked listening to the Moose. He didn't worry about getting people offside, he called it like he saw it and if you didn't like it or him...tough.

Jethro said:
HappilyManly said:
Exactly, if we didn't attend, we would not have seen a televised version.

I think we only used to get one game a week when Moose was calling them on TV.

Some Saturday games were on the ABC.

Remember dashing for the bus to make it home to watch the end - in B&W back in the 70's. :)

Video killed the RL Attendances :(

You could probably add to that the fact that back then (the 60s, 70s, and possibly some of the 80s) shopping centres closed on Saturdays at noon and didn't open up again on Monday morning so more people would then be able to go to the footy to fill some time ovier the weekend (especially during the colder months).

As for footy coverage back then, 7 used to show the match of the round on Sunday night after the news and during the news, Rex would tell you to leave the room if you didn't want to know the score. 7 then lost the TV rights to 10 who also used to show the match of the round on Sunday night after the news. The ABC used to have a game on every Saturday afternoon at 3pm.
And you can definitely add to all that that The Hill was much higher in the centre, just like 'a hill'. 3-4 Mtrs taken off the top of it. Off season 1994. I was appalled when I turned up there Round 1 1995. Couldn't believe it.

I can tell you Adelaide's viewing of the NSWRL back in 1990......we got the Grand Final. Or if you knew it was on you could see the Saturday arvo game on the ABC. I used to like listening to Warren Boland, Artie Beetson and John Peard (was never a fan of David Morrow). Hell, I didn't mind Debbie Spillane either (and Karen Tighe was pretty easy on the eyes too).

League coverage here didn't really start in Adelaide until 1991. We'd get Friday night football shown after midnight, Saturday league live on the ABC, and from 11pm Sunday night we got one hour highlights of the "MMI Big Game" (usually hosted by Wayne Pearce) on Ten. We did get all the finals games live including the GF. Nein started showing State of Origin into Adelaide in 1991. Seven also showed the test series against NZ on 2 hour delay.

When Nein got the rights from 1992 things slightly improved as we got the Sunday game live (or on short delay) for a couple of years (this was when they were bringing a St George game to the Adelaide Oval every year). Sadly its now 2014 and Nein is treating viewers here with even more contempt than ever. Amazingly, not once did Nein show an Adelaide Rams game live into Adelaide on the rare occasion they were on FTA. Talk about showing no support, the only ones who got to see them play were those lucky enough to have Foxtel. Quite different to Seven and the AFL. Every Adelaide Crows and Port Power game played interstate since they started playing has been shown live into Adelaide (or on a short delay if the game was played here, though all are live in 2014).

I'll sadly admit to never actually having been to Brookvale Oval (been to the leagues club a few times though), but from TV and photos I always thought the hill looks smaller now than it did before. I didn't know they removed the hill next to the FM Stand and didn't know about the hill being made shorter. I guess that's why the 1986 record attendance will never be broken, at least not as Brookie stands now.

Mals said:
Manly V Easts classic match
1997 Prelim Final
Fox Sports 1
5am Tue 24th June.

Thanks for the tip.

I'll record this to enjoy later.

Foz is slated to appear on Sterlo too, this Thursday (26th at 7-30pm) for those inclined.

HappilyManly said:
Exactly, if we didn't attend, we would not have seen a televised version.

I think we only used to get one game a week when Moose was calling them on TV.

Some Saturday games were on the ABC.

Remember dashing for the bus to make it home to watch the end - in B&W back in the 70's. :)

Video killed the RL Attendances :(

That's some nostalgia right there HM . The memories never fade. :shy:

Little bit scary though hey @wombatgc

Even all the changes in our lifetimes, or just the last 30 years...

You wake up one day and sometimes wonder where the bloody time has gone!

I sure hope Manly is shaping up to make yet another piece of history this year!

No, they carved the Hill when they added the Southern Stand.

We used to walk through a tunnel under the Hill before to get to the concourse on the Eastern side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2JttyTZBc0

Great nostalgia there.

Not so great...Inexplicably a power failure cut short my recording of the Manly/Rorters 97 game this morning!

Obviously we won, to play the Noughts in the GF, but wild weather in Wagga Wagga has scuppered my nostalgia there!

One of these days I'll put some of the old games I have on video onto DVD.

I have the game where we carved up Parramatta 64-12 from 1988.
The week after we did a job on Newcastle too. All on the same tape.

Might have to dig them out.

One of the big differences is back in the day the crowd started arriving during the u/23's, were half full at the start of reggies and full at about half time in the reggies. Today the crowd doesn't roll up til 10 mins before kick off in 1sts.

I remember a game against StG in 1974, first time the dragons had been to Brookie in yonks because of 'match of the day" at SCG. the crowd was lined up both sides of Pittwater road 30mins before kick off in the u/23's. Became a ground record crowd at the time I think.

Alan said:
One of the big differences is back in the day the crowd started arriving during the u/23's, were half full at the start of reggies and full at about half time in the reggies. Today the crowd doesn't roll up til 10 mins before kick off in 1sts.

I remember a game against StG in 1974, first time the dragons had been to Brookie in yonks because of 'match of the day" at SCG. the crowd was lined up both sides of Pittwater road 30mins before kick off in the u/23's. Became a ground record crowd at the time I think.

St George crowd at brooky on 30 june was 16K

North crowd on 17 Jun was 17K so no record.

Roosters crowd at Brooky that year was over 20K and the 2nd highest non finals crowd that year, the highest being at the SCG between the same 2 teams

Manly Vs St George the next year was a bigger crowd, 5 less than the roosters game in 74 at 20,121

Fluffy said:
Alan said:

Roosters crowd at Brooky that year was over 20K and the 2nd highest non finals crowd that year, the highest being at the SCG between the same 2 teams

Manly Vs St George the next year was a bigger crowd, 5 less than the roosters game in 74 at 20,121

Thanks Fluffy, shows you how unreliable some memories are. At least let me be right about the crowd getting there early.

RiverEagle said:
Great nostalgia there.

Not so great...Inexplicably a power failure cut short my recording of the Manly/Rorters 97 game this morning!

Obviously we won, to play the Noughts in the GF, but wild weather in Wagga Wagga has scuppered my nostalgia there!

You have electricity in wagga wagga now?

Alan said:
Fluffy said:
Alan said:

Thanks Fluffy, shows you how unreliable some memories are. At least let me be right about the crowd getting there early.

RiverEagle said:
Great nostalgia there.

You have electricity in wagga wagga now?

Well obviously not this morning mate!

Just crazy weather here today.

But word on the grapevine in Wagga Wagga that things are looking up...paved roads and something called the telephone both coming soon!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7