MANLY NSW CUP V AUCKLAND VULCANS

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Fluffy said:
wow, many years since a write up like that appeared from NSW cup.

Last time we would have had Foran, DCE, Buhrer etc in the team.

By the sound of it Symonds for Gower next week. I was extremely impressed with his games i saw at the rorters so doesnt surprise me he is doing well. If not symonds then lawton. Both will offer more off the bench and a better balance/cover for injuries.

From what I saw of both Symonds and Lawton yesterday, they are completely different players. Lawton is a hooker who is quick off the mark and probes from dummy half regularly. Possibly he could also play half-back, and be used like Le-Stranger for his impact.
Symonds is a backrower and I'm sure could fill in as a centre. I likened him to Beaver and, whilst that is overstating his talent, he has a similar build (probably bigger), is good defensively, is an 80-min player and seems to pop up when a break is made. I admit I've only seen him play once, so I hope I'm not over-hyping him. However, I see him as a valuable member of our top 17, with more versatility than a couple in that initial 17 against the Boncos.

C'mon KE, he has been pretty ordinary at times. There was a Dragons game I was at when Nightingale and Gaz kept running around him like a turnstile. He is a much different centre today in which I applaud and have positively commented on numerous occasions. I see the Aaron Groom comment in an earlier post and I suppose it's easy in hindsight to comment.
I'm sure I'm in trouble mentioning Jake T, his brother, Gutherson, Lemalu, Cunningham, Higgins etc as the new crop of kids coming through. I'll go the opposite and say David Gower's effort was superb and his abilities just didn't come out the other night.

http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=69704&title=manly-edge-out-vulcans-at-brooky[/size]

Manly edge out Vulcans at Brooky[size=large]
Michael Mapstone for www.aucklandvulcans.co.nz
11/03/2013 2:00:00 PM

In a match that could have gone either way, the Manly Sea Eagles escaped with the opening round points after a see-sawing tussle with the Auckland Vulcans, 26-24.

The local team certainly looked at home early, Dane Chisholm slicing through the Auckland defence before the two minute mark and running 50 metres untouched to score in the corner.

The Manly halfback, who has come to the club from the Tigers but whose late father Rick was a former Sea Eagles first grader, was unable to convert from the sideline.

Just four minutes later the Sea Eagles extended their lead when second rower and Roosters recruit Tom Symonds swooped on a loose Vulcans pass near the halfway line and sprinted away, unselfishly offloading to five-eight Jason Seage as the Auckland cover gave chase.

Seage ran the final 10 metres to score under the posts and Chisholm added the extras, giving Manly a 10-0 lead.

At the 12 minute mark Auckland hit back. Good field position and chain passing along the backline allowed winger Ngani Laumape to score in the corner. A beautiful sideline conversion by halfback Harry Seijka reduced the margin to four.

Nine minutes later the Vulcans were in again, five-eight Aaron Nootai jinking near the line and crashing over beside the right-hand post.
Seijka, recruited from the Panthers, converted to give Auckland a 12-10 lead.

Just three minutes later a break by ex-Gold Coast and now Manly hooker Kayne Lawton took the Sea Eagles to within metres of their line.

On the following play a highly entertaining passing movement eventually led to second rower Ligi Sao scoring out wide. Chisholm couldn’t convert, but Manly was back in front 14-12.

Auckland hit back again at the 37 minute mark, interchange hooker Siliva Havili crashing over from close range. Seijka converted from out wide to put Auckland back in front 18-14.

Manly had one last chance to score before the break but it looked to have disappeared when George Rose was ruled to have lost the ball close to the line. Auckland fullback Zoram Watene scooped up the pill and, sensing there were no Manly players in the back field, attempted a chip over the top just metres out from his own line.

But it was a fateful move; Symonds charged down his kick, picked up the ball cleanly and was able to dive over in the corner to level the match.
Chisholm still couldn’t find his range from out wide and the sides went to the break locked at 18-all.

The Vulcans came out firing and were able to bustle their way downfield with a string of offloads that led to a try for second rower John Palavi five minutes after the break. Seijka converted from in front to make it 24-18 in favour of the visitors.

The final try of the match came at the 61 minute mark when Symonds chased through on a deft grubber by Seage to claim his second four-pointer. Jacob Gagan took over the goal kicking duties and slotted the conversion from wide out to level the scores.

The final period of the game was also highlighted by a brilliant 40-20 kick by Chisholm that gave Manly good field position 10 minutes before the siren.

But the key moment of that period came when, with five minutes to go, a ruck infringement by Auckland 20 metres from their line drew a penalty. Gagan comfortably slotted the ensuing two-pointer to put the Sea Eagles ahead 26-24.

From there Manly, steered by Chisholm, played a controlled final few minutes to hold on for a hard-earned victory.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Did any of the Vulcans players stand out ?

Warriors might be needing a few of them !!

I'm not sure whether there were stand-outs but I thought 11. John Palavi went well and two blokes off the bench added some spark, hooker 14. Siliva Havili and fuzzy-haired forward 16. Atelea Nafetalai.

I don't think the halfback Harry Seijka really threatened us much.

I think you'll find it was the other winger, Chapman, who kicked two goals - both good ones. The penalty goal five minutes from full time won Manly the match.

John Palavi was the Warriors u20s captain for a few seasons and a good player - actually want to see him in the Maroon and White

A brief highlights package from the NSWRL website
http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=69872&title=nswrl-tv---week-6

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6