Manly 'news' and Brisbane draw a disgrace

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
BRISBANE's favourable draw over the opening stages of this season is a dead-set disgrace. Fancy having eight Friday night games in succession - each match giving the Broncos a tidy, settled seven day turn-around, and all played in the cool of the night.

The Broncos played last Friday night with their opponents this Friday, Wests Tigers, having played a golden point game two days later.

How easy - and unfair to everyone else - for coach Anthony Griffin to prepare his side. Here is what their opponents have had to endure before playing Brisbane: rd 2, North Qld, six day turn-around; rd 3, Newcastle, five days; rd 4, Souths, five days; rd 5, St George Illawarra, six days; rd 6, Wests Tigers, five days.

All while Brisbane have a comfortable seven-day break to plan training and rehab. Hopefully the new television deal will end Channel Nine's interference in scheduling. Over to you John Grant, please fix this fiasco.

ALL TOO HARD

Finding it difficult to back a home team winner this year? After five rounds, just 15 home teams have won the 40 games contested - a 37.5 per cent success rate. That happens to be the lowest after five rounds in 47 long years.

TAB Sportsbet told us yesterday that 20 outsiders have won the 40 matches so far. Beware this weekend - all eight games are toss-ups.

HOT TIP

Brett Stewart to stay at Manly, despite being strongly linked to the Sydney Roosters. The mail out of Brookvale suggests that Stewart will end his career at the Sea Eagles.

The bumbling board that stuffed-up Des Hasler's negotiations last year are terrified of the media and public backlash should Stewart, the Prince of Brookvale, walk away. Kieran Foran, Tony Williams and Steve Matai also remain off contract.

There is talk Manly may look at off-loading Brent Kite, who has been magnificent for the Sea Eagles since joining from St George Illawarra in 2005. Williams looks set to join either Parramatta or Canterbury.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/brisbane-broncos-favoured-by-eight-friday-night-matches-in-a-row/story-e6frexnr-1226317888978

Read the full article

"Brett Stewart to stay at Manly, despite being strongly linked to the Sydney Roosters. The mail out of Brookvale suggests that Stewart will end his career at the Sea Eagles.
The bumbling board that stuffed-up Des Hasler's negotiations last year are terrified of the media and public backlash should Stewart, the Prince of Brookvale, walk away. Kieran Foran, Tony Williams and Steve Matai also remain off contract.
There is talk Manly may look at off-loading Brent Kite, who has been magnificent for the Sea Eagles since joining from St George Illawarra in 2005. Williams looks set to join either Parramatta or Canterbury".....Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah........

I didnt realise what a rort that draw is until now.I knew they had 9 fridays in a row but to be continually pitted against opposition on short turnarounds is ridiculous.Another reason the comp needs another Brisbane side to share the Friday night Qld spoils and give Ch 9 a choice as they are always going to pick the broncos.

Can you imagine how we would go playing at Brookie every second Sunday at 3pm against tired teams.It woulld be simply a case of "stop the fight".

Old bulldog cannot help but throw in his BFF's zorbas agendas. He's a disgrace

I posted this last week, and by the sounds of it my source could be spot on -
03-29-2012, 07:07 AM

RE: Cronk staying at Melb, Foran stayin at manly - trex to leave

Brett Stewart will re-sign with Manly on a 2 year deal early next week, along with Keiran Foran. 2 current players have been told they are free to look for better deals elsewhere, if this plays out then expect Trex to sign another deal with the Premiers as well.

My mail is T-rex to the dogs and lussick to parra. t-rex will be a big loss and we should offload someone else to retain him

As someone who once doubted that TREX could turn undoubted potential into runs on the board I have to agree with Tookey.Our pack with the exception of Glen has very little strike without Rex.I love choc but it seems he is now playing in the middle and doing the no frills tough stuff which he does exceedingly well.

Rex can win you games now on his own which very few can do.It is contoversial and as much as I love B Stewart if it came down to what is the best for the future I would have to pick Rex.

I also think Matai is a non negotiable-he is in his prime and is a must keep if possible and comes cheaper than Brett.Of course,not knowing the situation,it may be that Brett and Rex can stay at the expense of the ageing props which would be the preferred result IMO.

When the Dragons won the minor premiership in 09 they had a similar draw to the Broncos and the myth that they deserved that honour was exposed when they were bundled out in the finals.

How is Matai considered off contract ???

We had all this drama with him being off contract last season, and I'm sure this is year 1 of a 3 year deal he signed to stay

I find it an indictment on the quality of journalist today when they are only now reporting the Brisbane rort when we started complaining about it six weeks ago.
Memo journos: read our posts more often and you'll get better, more informed story leads.

susan said:
As someone who once doubted that TREX could turn undoubted potential into runs on the board I have to agree with Tookey.Our pack with the exception of Glen has very little strike without Rex.I love choc but it seems he is now playing in the middle and doing the no frills tough stuff which he does exceedingly well.

Rex can win you games now on his own which very few can do.It is contoversial and as much as I love B Stewart if it came down to what is the best for the future I would have to pick Rex.

I also think Matai is a non negotiable-he is in his prime and is a must keep if possible and comes cheaper than Brett.Of course,not knowing the situation,it may be that Brett and Rex can stay at the expense of the ageing props which would be the preferred result IMO.

Completely agree, with King, Kite, Joe and Rose all at the end we need to try and free up something here

Telling players on contract they can look elsewhere. How does that work? Don't we still have to pay them?

DSM5 said:
Telling players on contract they can look elsewhere. How does that work? Don't we still have to pay them?

Depends. We'd probably only release them to a club who took up a portion of his contract. No club is going to fully pay a players wages when they know the need for the releasing club is salary cap pressure. We kinda get a say as to which club the player could play for, or at least involved in the negotiations.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2