Manly MUST secure juniors

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
A roosters supporter claims that he knows the knight family, and they have said they aren't happy with manly! I hope this isn't true, we need to keep knight at manly! Please don't grill me it's just what I have heard
So you're putting a rider on your Knight rumour?

A roosters supporter claims that he knows the knight family, and they have said they aren't happy with manly! I hope this isn't true, we need to keep knight at manly! Please don't grill me it's just what I have heard
Well if he ain't happy and roosters offer big dollars then he should leave. You can't keep them all

He's not a Manly junior anyway, which the thread title infers.

I'm still annoyed about Gutherson's departure - a real Manly-Warringah junior.

What on earth can he not be happy with?

Manly gave him an opportunity, have nurtured him, promoted him to top 25 & I'm sure they are paying him.

Didn't his uncle or something recently say on here he thinks he'll stay at Manly?

What's there to be upset with?

For the record I'd like him to stay & I think he'd progress better at Manly as there are less players in front of him.

I'll always love Manly but gee some players make it hard to like them.

I'd be really dissapointed if we let Knight go, he is such a talent and in exactly the position we need. I hope we come to an agreement that works for both parties as I agree with Maxta that this guy will be a star.

Manly keep making promises that they are going to make offer but haven't. He suspects they can't given they still have to offload players. He is being courted by 3 clubs and is hoping to receive firm offer this week.
So he's unhappy we haven't made an offer for 2017 when 2016 season hasn't even kicked off??

I'm so relieved that the NRL commissioned Richo to sort out the big issues for the game going forward. Really seems the only thing he did was visit Burgess in England and smooth his return to the Rabids.

True and it would be nice to keep him. However these kids from elsewhere are not necessarily 'Manly' in their outlook. I have no doubt that the Turbo boys will want to play their entire careers at Brookvale. Those two are a throwback to players like Menzies, Toovey and the greats of the 1970/80s like Randall, Krilich and Alan Thompson - e.g. never likely to leave.

Foran was another who was more or less in the Manly system from an early age. I was never convinced about his undying loyalty to the Sea Eagles and his departure came as no great surprise.

Seems to me that no decision has been made and its all just speculation. Of course SC are after him. They're after everyone who looks a potential International. The suggestions that the Knight family are not happy with Manly seems to fly in the face of Papa Knight coming onto this forum so often about his boy and discussing his progress. If he was gone or close to going, why would Papa Knight be doing that. And quite honestly Papa Knight seems pretty happy with the Manly supporters and has made no suggestion there is a problem. I think Knight is waiting for Manly's offer and I bet they are already negotiating.

Some people prefer to listen to unsubstantiated rumours rather than go by facts. I'm hoping like any other Manly fan that he will stay!!

So how much does the club fork out to keep juniors?
Should we have paid overs for JWH years ago when we had his position well covered with proven performers?
It seems that a lot youngsters these days seem to want the big $$ based on potential rather than proving their worth, kind of like a 2nd year apprentice wanting a tradesman's pay - and no I'm not saying this is what is happening with Knight but his name was mentioned in the thread.

It's not so much not hanging onto juniors but other clubs offering the carrot of first grade and some extra coin. The old grass is greener technique.

Take Gutho as an example, we all expect him to be a walk up start at Parra and obviously so does he but with them having Gordon, Jennings, Semi, Toutai, Falou jnr, Takarangi, Morgan etc he may not have things all his own way. He had first shot with us last year and we all know how that ended up.
Not many young blokes want to play reserve grade these days as they may be finished by 25.

So some hypothetical questions
-
How much do we think Knight is worth?
How does he compare to Myles and Tapou in expectation v $$$ ?

The standouts in our 20s last year where Terbo and Knight. These players need to be looked after as they are our future.
Terbo has had a taste of 1st grade while many think Knight will kick on.
Our focus should be locking down Knight long term

Last edited:
So how much does the club fork out to keep juniors?
Should we have paid overs for JWH years ago when we had his position well covered with proven performers?
It seems that a lot youngsters these days seem to want the big $$ based on potential rather than proving their worth, kind of like a 2nd year apprentice wanting a tradesman's pay - and no I'm not saying this is what is happening with Knight but his name was mentioned in the thread.

It's not so much not hanging onto juniors but other clubs offering the carrot of first grade and some extra coin. The old grass is greener technique.

Take Gutho as an example, we all expect him to be a walk up start at Parra and obviously so does he but with them having Gordon, Jennings, Semi, Toutai, Falou jnr, Takarangi, Morgan etc he may not have things all his own way. He had first shot with us last year and we all know how that ended up.
Not many young blokes want to play reserve grade these days as they may be finished by 25.

So some hypothetical questions
-
How much do we think Knight is worth?
How does he compare to Myles and Tapou in expectation v $$$ ?
I think it is reasonable to suggest he is going to be a star, there are no crystal balls showing the future, so one relies on experience, observation and instinct to make a call on what he is likely to become.

You have to put your balls on the line sometimes and say, no we aren't letting this one go - I hope we do this. You can't just think short term, you need to also consider 3-5 yrs ahead.

This is one to keep and give an early opportunity to, like we have done with the Turbos. I think Liam will provide great value over the next 2-3yrs that could very well equal Myles and Tapau. Jake T was our best forward year one, DCE and Keiran took us to a premeirship in their first year together - DCE's first year in NRL, so the special ones are worth it from the get go and in my opinion Liam fits that bill.

This is what Bozo and Joke get paid the big bucks. To smooth things over, keep good youngsters at the right price, convince internationals and quality outsiders to join our nest. Let's see how Bozo performs.

At this stage Stuboot, I would rate him more important than Myles and potentially could match Taupau in a year or two.

So, do you think we lock him into a three year deal or longer on the same money as Myles who is a proven Origin player (29 games in 10 years ), current/recent Kangaroo and 200 NRL games?

WOW! What do we pay him when his next deal is due then?

I think it is reasonable to suggest he is going to be a star, there are no crystal balls showing the future, so one relies on experience, observation and instinct to make a call on what he is likely to become.

You have to put your balls on the line sometimes and say, no we aren't letting this one go - I hope we do this. You can't just think short term, you need to also consider 3-5 yrs ahead.

This is one to keep and give an early opportunity to, like we have done with the Turbos. I think Liam will provide great value over the next 2-3yrs that could very well equal Myles and Tapau. Jake T was our best forward year one, DCE and Keiran took us to a premeirship in their first year together - DCE's first year in NRL, so the special ones are worth it from the get go and in my opinion Liam fits that bill.

It is reasonable to suggest he is going to be a star but not many "next big things" lock themselves into a long deal these days, you know "he's got to maximise his income, he's only in the game for a short time, he's gotta do what's best for his family, he wants to see who the coach will be, depends on the next TV deal, blah, blah, blah..."
It doesn't matter matter what our 3-5 year plan is if players are being courted 3 years out, they are hesitant to commit as "5 years is a long time in football"

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6