Manly must re-sign Brett Stewart, says Arko

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
ManlyBacker said:
COACH Geoff Toovey says the Sea Eagles are doing everything they can to re-sign star fullback Brett Stewart. Manly's godfather Ken Arthurson says they only need to do what he asks.

Read the full article

Arko's right. I dont know any Manly fans who dont want another four years from Snake, heck, sign him for 6 Years ! After playing, he can coach the backs. Both he and Jamie Lyon are OBVIOUSLY future Manly coaches.

Arko is right, just sign him this week.

If we need so sack a few others too bad.

Brett must play for Manly for at lest 4 more years.

Unless they know the medical reports that they show long term problems. Look, Brett is in champion form. We are goners if he gets injured. I suppose the danger is the medics knowing he is very prone to re-injuring again. Maybe they are seeing 2014 and Brett's knee is showing big signs of wear and tear. Look at Mini yesterday, as said on the tele, he has major back issues and can't get down to the ball well. If we sign him for 600k we are saying he will be a gun player until 2016.

A terrible predicament for us. There is no one current who can replace him but maybe they know Gutherson is 2 years away.

The "kicker" for this is, if we sign Brett for another 4, it would almost certainly mean we get Gifty for another 3 when his current contract expires at the end of next year.
If Brett takes up the union offer, then there is every real chance that Glenn would test his value on the open market at the end of next season.

Hysterical articles do nothing but inflame a contract negotiation. If he signs, great, if not, we'll move on.

Hysteria creates desperation. We don't want a ridiculous contract signed through desperation.

Even if they do think Gutherson will be due to make first grade soon I reckon Snake would still be worthy of a wing spot or at a pinch 5/8.

We could possibly move Foran to lock or centre if necessary.

Snake's ball playing ability would suit 5/8 I reckon...ala Lockyer!

GO MANLY!

Ryan said:
Hysterical articles do nothing but inflame a contract negotiation. If he signs, great, if not, we'll move on.

Hysteria creates desperation. We don't want a ridiculous contract signed through desperation.

If he leaves,is it off to the reggies for Snake for the rest of the season Ryan?

the mauler said:
Ryan said:

If he leaves,is it off to the reggies for Snake for the rest of the season Ryan?

He's not going to a competitor, as I have stated a number of times.
(Your either with us, or AGAINST us)
Same as Beaver, Robbo, Rodney - I have no issues with that.

But good attempt pal.

This is a tough one... im on the fence with this one, Dont get me wrong i am massive fan of snake and he has been my favourite player for a long time now, I also see the clubs perspective on the reasons why they wouldnt be offering him the 4 year deal.

Either way i hope this is worked out ASAP because the last thing the club,snake and the team needs is this contract situation dragging on in the media... will just hurt us in the end.

Give him the four years. Or, as a compromise...3 years with an extra $50,000 added to each year.

I don't think it has as much to do with his injuries as the fact we have Gutherson coming through and is possibly the next big thing.

I can see the club thinking Gutherson may not want to hang around if we sign snake up for 4 years. Gutherson is here until end of 2014 and would have another 2 year wait behind Brett.

Some fancy negotiations will have to be done to keep both here.

Hopefully they do give Brett his 4 year deal. He deserves it.

BOZO said:
The Godfather is right , get the checkbook out Mr Perry

Arko is talking as if he was running the club with an open chequebook back in the day. We are not a bottomless pit these days and there is a salary cap to contend with.

I agree with his sentiment (especially that he is the Clubs favourite player) but it's not that easy to just lock him in for exactly what his manager asks for. I dare say that the Club is worried that (god forbid) Snake has another injury to that in 2010 and spends a whole season on the sidelines.

We should sign him up for 4 years, if possible, but with provisos that a serious injury to either knee can result in a re-negotiation. 4 years is a long time in rugby league, especially for a bloke with the injuries he has had. Let's not forget that he has been playing regular first grade since 2004.

I don't get this Brett Stewart is injury prone business. He's had trouble with both knees in the past and both were fixed. He was brought along nice and slowly after that and has now played a season and a half with out recurrance. Sure his knees might give him trouble in the future but he seems fine atm. They'll put him on ice when needed and nurse him through and he'll be fine..........Touch wood.

Arko is right. By signing Snake the club is getting far more than a mere footballer. The club has to look at the greater benefit Snake's presence brings to the team & club. It helps others to join & stay at Manly for less $ and it encourages fans to become members & sponsors to jump on board. Have to look at the whole picture and Arko is 100% right.

Tooves and Dave Perry are no mugs I'm sure they know what they are doing.
I'm hopefully the little bloke will stay this is just mimis doing his job making Brett gets the best deal.

I reckon give Snake the benefit of the doubt and give him 3 years a one year option in his favour. I'm sure if at the end of the 3 year his body isn't up to it anymore he will do the right thing by himself and retire anyway.

3 years sounds generous to me but I wouldn't begrudge him 4. Hard decision with a lot of the cap at stake. No doubt he is still the number one female puller from the fans and like Wolfie has a marketability factor beyond his playing capabilities. Snake anywhere else is just unthinkable.

Wasn't it all but a done deal ernie?

I would be inconsolable if we lost him, he is getting back to his sharpest form and looks to be enjoying his footy and his mates.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2