Manly members not renewing - Rabbitohs on the verge of new membership record

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
COMMANDER said:
You can't be a real fan if you're not a member.
I'd have to disagree with you there. My family have been lifelong supporters, Dad since the early days.
We were taken to every Brookvale match as kids in the 70's and 80's. Back then kids didn't even know club membership existed.
Times have changed but we can't judge the financial positions of others.
Personally in my adult life I have been a sole parent and a uni student. This is living below the poverty line and quite frankly, it sucks.
Many families might passionately support their club without being members and have excellent reasons for not joining.
I am reaching about the first time in my life where I can afford membership to assist the club and I will do so.
Let's just not be too hasty to judge where others are coming from.
I hope when people can afford to they will join up to ensure the future of the greatest team ever.

Fair call Niccipops there are always exceptions to the rule.

I just hate it when some Manly supporters I know say that can't afford membership yet think nothing of spending $200 on a night out in the town every month or so. All comes down to priorities.

Mals said:
Souths supporters know how important membership is because they were kicked out of the comp for a few years. They also don't have a Leagues club tipping in money.

Manly supporters haven't learnt from the Northern Eagles days it seems...

100% agree Mals. I was going to say this too. Almost word for word.

I have said this many times before, but I'll say it again.

Play in a Grand Final and out of the woodwork comes 60,000 Manly fans (sure not ALL out of the woodwork but you know what I mean).

If 20% of that number (so 12,000) that are not members, would buy the most basic supporter membership, bingo we'd have our 20,000.

BUT (and this is sadly so), the majority are just happy to pay their Foxtel subscription (which takes out the "I can't afford it" excuse), buy a cheap slab from Dan Murphy's and sit at home and watch all the games UNTIL we make a Grand Final and then "whoop whoop pull out the old Manly Jersey and fly the flag once again"

You may disagree with me on that, but if so how else do you explain 40,000 extra fans that only come out once every blue moon?? and mind you they don't even come out when we play semi finals ONLY if we make the GF.

I can understand some of this (costs etc of going to games etc etc) BUT if you chose that option and sit there as a fan and can't afford maybe $80 to help ensure your club continues to go around then in my opinion that's a bit weak.

There will always be cases like Niccipops so I know that this doesn't suit all people, but I almost bet that out of those 60,000 people that the majority will.....like a drink or two...like a fag or two...and will spend money on things like video games or boys toys (and some girl toys as well), so why not buy a basic membership and keep the club that you support alive??

Maybe we need the threat of being kicked out to see this happen!

Well said Mark. I signed up this year as a member for the first time as a result of moving back to the beaches at Christmas. I find it hard to get to games so I figured membership did 2 things, firstly it meant that I now have 3 games that are already paid for so I will make sure I get to at least 3 Brookie games this season and secondly I am contributing to the future of the club.

I have said before that I would like to buy multi year memberships. Some years I can't afford membership and other years I can due to the ups and downs of the construction industry ( not blaming politics in this thread). In the good years I'd like to pay for 3 or 5 years and be done with it.

I would be interested to find out what portion of the clubs Budget membership accounts for.

Don't forget there is a "pay it off" option!!!

I have purchased a Golden Wings Membership for 2012/2013 for couple of reasons;

1. Hopefully the $ amount helps the club in some way,
2. I can pay it off!!

I understand time are tough but surely a couple of dollars a month is affordable?

Well said Mark. There are well and truly more than 60,000 Manly supporters out there.

There are a heap of Manly fans out in Western Sydney. A suggestion for the 2014 memberships would be to create a membership that benefits those Manly fans in Western Sydney that can't always get to Brookvale.

Manly could have membership for those in Western Sydney that includes 2 home games at Brookvale and 2 away Manly games in Western Sydney (e.g ANZ Stadium, Parra Stadium, Centrebet Stadium, Leichhardt/Campbelltown).

Also it would have been good if they had created the "Blue Wings Central Coast" Membership earlier, before they went to the Westfield Tuggerah etc. Would've sold alot more memberships while there.

Cameron.

I think the next step in membership in Sydney is for all those based there to work on packages similar to what you're suggesting MA. It is near enough to 50kms from a lot of parts of Sydney to the Northern Beaches, making travel difficult on Fri/Mon nights in particular.

Perhaps an 'NRL' pass for 'x' amount of games around Sydney, with the proceeds given to the club you nominate.

Thats a very good idea Hamster. Look, what the club need to do is really get in the ear of Annersley and his Liberal mates and get a stadium North of the harbor. That is the way to attract the fickle fan. Us diehards wii join up and get to old Brookie and love it, Rain, hail or shine. It's those pesky fickles the club must attract.

IMO, the poor uptake in membership is more about off the field than on it or the packages, or cost. Manly's off field results at the highest level has been abysmal at a time when on field success has done all it could to maximise the uptake .

The fact remains Manly's board and management have been in the news for many years now, and show no signs of making themselves invisible yet. Many may say certain journalists or media Representatives are jealous or angry but the fact remains, there is some element of truth to it all

I am not saying for a minute that people don't join because of the negative publicity, but it highlights the different agendas going on within the club. No one agrees , they are constantly fighting against each other rather than running from the same playbook. A high level of turnover in the top jobs, shrouded in negative publicity highlights the difficulties within.

How can a business even start to grow when they spend a good deal of their time manipulating and maneuvering in order to satisfy their personal agendas, rather than commit to a team environment with the same goals

Private ownership, coupled with a split board and a constitution than started as a great idea but restricts the fiscal return needed for long term sustainability is crippling Manlys future

How are marketing teams going to attract a budget that enables them to grow, when the organization loses money , and the main financial benefactors are asked to pay up, but not allowed to explore avenues that allow the club to return a profit. I know its off topic but its the root of the problem. The current set up does not agree with the major shareholders so until change is sought it will forever be this way

I am not saying for one minute that anyone does a bad job or is not committed individually, but collectively they do not send a strong united message to the potential customers

As I see this from a far with no inside knowledge this is about power and the constitution that forms the basis of power. Currently it appears no one will budge or in some cases are not allowed to budge. Maybe its time this document is revisited under current circumstances

Its naive to think that brookvale is ever going to be a super stadium, In fact it has probably peaked as a ground despite the hard work done behind the scenes. If we are to believe that it will never be funded, and we lose money playing there, then lets at least agree to discuss other options if necessary,

Change is good, if its embraced. Just wondering how souths growth would be in the same situation

I've been a member of the FC and the MWSE since about 2005, even though I live 6 hours away and can't get to any games. I just think supporting Manly or any other club also means financial contibutions to keep it viable. No financial members, no club!

Maybe not a lot of people care much for our club anymore. Let's face it, winning team for past few years and we still can't even get full crowds. Imagine the drop when we finally have a bad year! We need a ground that guarantees money! Not the 50's fallen down bit part here, bit part there suburban oval our NRL team plays on. AFL gave up these tin pot ovals a long time ago and look at where they are.

I went for the pay it off option, as i signed up the wife and kids. It only cost me $20 a month. I didn't have to sign the kids up as they play league and get free entry to the games.

I still signed them up though, as they have grown to love the club over the years, watching me yell and cheer for this great club.

My kids are 7 and 12 now, and i understand that those with younger kids would find the $30 hard. Maybe a $5 or $10 membership as others have mentioned for kids under 5.

Trying to get G.I Joe's message out to other Manly fans i know to try get more members. Just want to see our great club around forever.

Darren said:
AFL gave up these tin pot ovals a long time ago and look at where they are.

And look at the way those who watch AFL can do it. Sit anywhere around the ground and in any place, high or low and you get the same ridiculous view of the same ridiculous sport.

Im surprised at this comparison to AFL which is no real comparison at all.

Interesting how their such poor game for viewing attracts huge amounts of "live" fans (Collingwood vs Carlton get 95k) but our "greatest game of all" tips around the 10-15k range. Why can't League attract huge amounts of fans? What, Foxtel? AFL is broadcast live but they don't seem to make our excuses?

I remember Collingwood fans saying their team would go down the gurgler when they left their ground but it would seem exactly the opposite happened. 1950's oval, Leagues club gives nothing, locals don't turn up in droves, 6500 paid members this year, 1 million dollar loss? It's like flogging a dead horse and we have had these arguments for 10 years plus.
What do we do? Leave or stay but it would seem the staying isn't improving anything.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6