Manly Marketing?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
lsz said:
The question is

Are you trying to convert new supporters or appeal to current latent supporters

League is a tribal game so I would suggest the later is your broad target market

Manly will always have their share of diehards. I think we should increase any further potential market by promoting what's good about Manly as
@LoyalEagle said.
@Cliffyisgod made excellent points about the Aussie beach fun lifestyle and getting the players out into the community as role models. I know this happens but it could take place more often and generate great publicity. Get the kids young and you just may get 'em for life.

So many little kids at schools I teach at these days, say things like, "I go for the Broncos, Storm, Bulldogs and Souths." Obviously a result of what they see in the media. The loyalty to a single team is disappearing as players jump from club to club.

@globaleagle did I tag correctly? :p And your above posts have had some care.
Nah - I really don't care.
:D

Nicci I would argue that it is far easier to convert existing, latent, manly fans rather than trying to convert people based on geographical feature

Thinking about it logically

How many members does the club realistically need to become viable? Lets assume it is 25,000 (with the onflow of merch etc)

So the club needs to convert an additional 15,000 members from a very large potential pool rather than trying to convert new fans.

There are a number of ways that this can be done (including fundamentally changing the fan engagement model) however these all require long term thinking

Think about Dan's premium model and how easily this could have been implemented MWSE. A nominal fee to get exclusive content? Ths would have be an additional way to give members a "taste" develop a database of potential customers etc

All pretty simple stuff...rather than trying to create a narrative around the beaches

I agree 100% with the sentiment of 'embrace the hate'. For decades we've succeeded in being that team that other supporters hate, that the media hate......and what's p***ed everyone off deluxe, we've been successful.

Forget trying to be seen as this or that, it wont work, what we are is ingrained in modern day culture, and I for one don't think it's a bad thing. Rugby League at times is little more than a pantomime anyway, and it needs villains and heroes etc etc. We fill the role of villain better than any.

It never sat well with me back in 07 when we were trying to tell the public to embrace us as the lesser of 2 evils (playing the Storm). When people have said to me they want Manly to win I tell them to 'eff off, we don't want anyones support but our own'.

lsz said:
Nicci I would argue that it is far easier to convert existing, latent, manly fans rather than trying to convert people based on geographical feature

Thinking about it logically

How many members does the club realistically need to become viable? Lets assume it is 25,000 (with the onflow of merch etc)

So the club needs to convert an additional 15,000 members from a very large potential pool rather than trying to convert new fans.

There are a number of ways that this can be done (including fundamentally changing the fan engagement model) however these all require long term thinking

Think about Dan's premium model and how easily this could have been implemented MWSE. A nominal fee to get exclusive content? Ths would have be an additional way to give members a "taste" develop a database of potential customers etc

All pretty simple stuff...rather than trying to create a narrative around the beaches

Very interesting thoughts. I agree that nobody's going to be 'converted' to being a Manly fan. We're not Souths and don't want bandwagoners jumping on board. As @Killer03 said, we don't want any supporters but our own.
I do think the club needs some positive marketing/media management and maybe it's for those latent existing fans you mention. Build from within to continuously move forward as a strong force. Keep p*ssing everyone off with our success and embrace what we have that is unique to the Manly Sea Eagles.
We don't need to be cuddly, leave that to the rabbits.

Manly's marketing has been performing well under par of late. Small social media, exclusive and community initiatives/content, to increase positive news, with minimal to no pro-Manly reporters in the media. This combined with no strong stance from the Manly club in regards to negative publicity that increased towards the end of this season and eventually affected team, whether they admit it or not. And to top it all off there is a person(s) in a privileged position with intimate information, leaking negative publicity straight to the press.

To turn it around, there needs to be a strong marketing team put in place that is dedicated and supported by a healthy marketing budget.

Manly has to work harder than any other sporting team in Australia due to pre existing prejudices against the club that many people have, (this is also a defining factor that makes is stronger and tighter than most and helps define our culture), and currently they aren't doing so and therefore not controlling the message within the media which ultimately dictates people opinions.

It's hard with the size and population base of Australia being centralized around so few cities. Every other top tier competition in the world is nothing like us. Imagine the EPL, NFL, NBA,MLB having so many teams in one city.

London would be the closest to having so many teams in the top competition but even then only two or three of those teams could be classified as being big successful well supported clubs.

If we come up with the best ever marketing plan it will be copied by every other team pretty quickly.

Winning games is probably the best marketing plan.

Winning games and playing attractive football even more so.

I don't think the club can do much better than what they are doing.

niccipops said:
Manly will always have their share of diehards. I think we should increase any further potential market by promoting what's good about Manly as
@LoyalEagle said.
@Cliffyisgod made excellent points about the Aussie beach fun lifestyle and getting the players out into the community as role models. I know this happens but it could take place more often and generate great publicity. Get the kids young and you just may get 'em for life.

So many little kids at schools I teach at these days, say things like, "I go for the Broncos, Storm, Bulldogs and Souths." Obviously a result of what they see in the media. The loyalty to a single team is disappearing as players jump from club to club.

$10 please, did not tag loyaleagle correctly :p

And you care.....you care bad!!!

lsz has a good point. We're always told how it's something like 5 times harder to get new customers than keep current ones (in business) so we should convert current fans into members.

I'm not sure how exclusive content would work. If it's digital...as soon as it's emailed people share it around. Esp on this site! (but I know that was but one example)

globaleagle said:

lsz has a good point. We're always told how it's something like 5 times harder to get new customers than keep current ones (in business) so we should convert current fans into members.

I'm not sure how exclusive content would work. If it's digital...as soon as it's emailed people share it around. Esp on this site! (but I know that was but one example)

Lol. You know what Meatloaf said, two out of three aint bad. My fine should therefore be $3.33 rounded up to $3.35.

Converting fans into members can work as I was a lifelong fan and am now finally a member. I'm pretty hard to get rid of so my membership will continue onwards.

Digital exclusives are too easy to share for free so maybe the good old fashioned mailing system could work. Exclusive things like signed photos, even in print form. Player profiles and good news stories in print. Imagine the excitement of a little kid (or a Manly nutter adult) receiving something exclusive from the club in the mail, say once a month.

When I was about 11 or 12 an older kid at my school who moving away from football and onto boys, gave me her Sea Eagles memorabilia scrap book. This was a piece of gold to me. Kids can't have things like that these days as everything's online.

It seems that the club has the best possible start for social media and marketing already in its possession with its sea eagles tv.
I love segments like tommy talks and player interviews in the sheds, and love watching our players answer real questions from us and not baited crap from journos pushing agendas for there hate campaigns.
Use Steve menzies or anyone else, and get them to training and talk to the players, in the sheds after games. makes these videos only accessible through a password login to the manly website. this draws traffic through the club site where we can see other information like sponsors and the like, thus boosting there marketability.
One big annoyance for me is the next to no information on the lower grades.
Is it so hard to get a likeable kid to start pushing the value of the kids and lower grade players we have running around, get them doing intervews with players and coaches, in the sheds or after training, match reports and photos the list can go on forever. harrold matts and sg ball, toyota cup and nsw cup. these are the players of the future and we know or see nothing about them.

Correct - apart from tommy talks and a twice a week vid there is a real lack of content (also the production values are at best amatuer)

niccipops said:
globaleagle said:

Lol. You know what Meatloaf said, two out of three aint bad. My fine should therefore be $3.33 rounded up to $3.35.

Oh and I so know you fixed up the quoting! That's $50!!!!

#last off topic post.

@"Northern Rhino" (see @niccipops ) :p also has good points.

Tommy talks, etc is a good start and I think I heard most of these guys get media training, so practise away on us members! I know players may think signings and appearances are a pain in the butt....however it breeds super good number one vibes amongst us all. Q and A's as mentioned are pretty cool and we get to know the players without trying to decipher their twitter musings (which are basically rubbish anyway.)

South Sydney Silvertails has a nice ring to it.

They are the millionaires now (just like Wests were back in the 50's.)

All clubs go though the ups and downs over the years.

Let's just stick to doing what do best, battle on and win the games that matter and get on with the game.

We don't need New Zealand Actors, Armani suits or other frills. We are just the Manly Battlers.

I also think that the pride of the league will soon get very tired as a marketing ploy as Australians do not like tall poppies they like the battlers.

Very interesting topic, especially for someone like me who has been in the media and PR profession for almost 45 years. Before criticizing the club’s marketing do any of us know what resources/budget allocates to marketing? I think it may be too skinny to do a thoroughly professional job.
What I know is that Zorba was a newspaper man at the Sun, where I also started my career, and developed close relationship with all sporting journalists. Like him or not, this is important if you want to get coverage – and vital if you want it to be favourable. Neil Evans also seemed good at his job.
Does our current media director, who I don’t know, have the experience and close relationships needed? If not, perhaps it’s because the salary only attracts juniors.
Do we have a PR manager? If yes, is he/she/they given the necessary resources?
I’m lothe to criticize without knowing what constraints they may be under. There is a heap that can be done but you need experienced operators and a management that appreciate the benefits of positive exposure.
On a positive note I think that T-Red is a natural media performer and should be cultivated. Beaver is widely loved and should be used as much as possible. Likewise, known Manly media men such as John Gibbs and Fatty Vautin.
This is probably not the forum to make this offer but I’d be prepared to offer my services free for a day or two to get to understand the inner working of the Manly marketing team and then provide a ‘blueprint’ of ideas and suggestions. I know that Mark from Brisbane is widely experienced in other marketing-related areas and would be an invaluable asset for the club to tap into. There are probably many more of you reading this forum who can also help.
So, if the club is interested, I’m here to help.

globaleagle said:
niccipops said:
@LoyalEagle said.

@"globaleagle",

Nicci didn't tag either of them correctly. Not only did she tag 'Loyal Eagle' as 'LoyalEagle', she also tagged 'Cliffyisgod' (who last visited on Sunday, 23rd September, 2012 03:43 PM) instead of 'Cliffy's Is god' :p

@"niccipops",

If I may, can I please direct you to this post to help you with the tagging of multi-word usernames? :)

@"Jethro" and @"globaleagle", thank you so much for highlighting my tagging errors. You have persuaded me to read the instructions which I object to because instructions are for men to read, not women.
Women are here to give instructions, not read them.:p
But now I have increased my tagging skills :) - just watch, @"Loyal Eagle" , @"Cliffy's Is god" - Hi from me and thanks for taking part in my successful tagging example.
@"The Who" I think your PR and media experience would be an asset to the club.
Any Silvertails who need tagging advice, please contact @"niccipops"

Btw, reading the instructions were helpful. There might be some logic in such actions.

The Swans seem to get on tv after every game by taking a swim at Bondi or Clovelly. The Sea Eagles have so many great beaches but we so rarely see them do a recovery session in the surf or rock pool or doing some sprints or ball work on the sand. Manly should be the club for Australian beach culture. Manly players with shirts off will get the tv and media photos.

An annual summer beach 7s comp up and down the beaches from Manly to Palm Beach? Get some retired Manly players & even the Hugh Jackman.

Freshwater is supposed to be where surfing first started in Australia http://www.mountainman.com.au/the_duke.html or if not it was Manly / North Steyne http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/the-duke-dethroned-as-our-surfing-history-is-rewritten/2007/12/29/1198778767817.html

Plus copy that simple Souths white rabbit logo sticker that you see on trucks and cars everywhere. Do it with the old 1970s M-W logo.

Manly-Warringah_logo_of_the_1970s.jpg

Lots of good ideas posted.

I particularly like the narrative of claiming all of Sydney, north of the harbour. All schools and all kids league competitions north of the harbour should ultimately feed into our senior team.

The NRL should grant us that. No other team suffers the indignity we do; out of spite, Norths juniors are farmed off to any club, as long as it's not Manly.

When the Roosters dumped the Jets to take a piece of the Hunter junior base, I hope someone at our admin was paying attention.

silvertail said:
The NRL should grant us that. No other team suffers the indignity we do; out of spite, Norths juniors are farmed off to any club, as long as it's not Manly.

There is no boundaries set by the NRL is there? Roosters can have a signing session at Westfields Parramatta if they want to.

I don't see there is anyone stopping Manly working all of the north side of Sydney except Manly themselves. Manly don't have to ask the NRL for approval or authority. Souths do school visits in Townsville when they re up there. Parra do some in Brisbane.

Or are Norths still out there telling Manly get out of their schools & juniors etc? If they are then someone at the NSWRL needs to tell Norths to shut up. I guess the NRL could tell the NSWRL.

Brissie Kid said:
The Swans seem to get on tv after every game by taking a swim at Bondi or Clovelly. The Sea Eagles have so many great beaches but we so rarely see them do a recovery session in the surf or rock pool or doing some sprints or ball work on the sand. Manly should be the club for Australian beach culture. Manly players with shirts off will get the tv and media photos.

An annual summer beach 7s comp up and down the beaches from Manly to Palm Beach? Get some retired Manly players & even the Hugh Jackman.

Freshwater is supposed to be where surfing first started in Australia http://www.mountainman.com.au/the_duke.html or if not it was Manly / North Steyne http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/the-duke-dethroned-as-our-surfing-history-is-rewritten/2007/12/29/1198778767817.html

Plus copy that simple Souths white rabbit logo sticker that you see on trucks and cars everywhere. Do it with the old 1970s M-W logo.

Manly-Warringah_logo_of_the_1970s.jpg
I'd gladly have one of those stickers on my ute, Brissie Kid.

The Who said:
Very interesting topic, especially for someone like me who has been in the media and PR profession for almost 45 years. Before criticizing the club’s marketing do any of us know what resources/budget allocates to marketing? I think it may be too skinny to do a thoroughly professional job.
What I know is that Zorba was a newspaper man at the Sun, where I also started my career, and developed close relationship with all sporting journalists. Like him or not, this is important if you want to get coverage – and vital if you want it to be favourable. Neil Evans also seemed good at his job.
Does our current media director, who I don’t know, have the experience and close relationships needed? If not, perhaps it’s because the salary only attracts juniors.
Do we have a PR manager? If yes, is he/she/they given the necessary resources?
I’m lothe to criticize without knowing what constraints they may be under. There is a heap that can be done but you need experienced operators and a management that appreciate the benefits of positive exposure.
On a positive note I think that T-Red is a natural media performer and should be cultivated. Beaver is widely loved and should be used as much as possible. Likewise, known Manly media men such as John Gibbs and Fatty Vautin.
This is probably not the forum to make this offer but I’d be prepared to offer my services free for a day or two to get to understand the inner working of the Manly marketing team and then provide a ‘blueprint’ of ideas and suggestions. I know that Mark from Brisbane is widely experienced in other marketing-related areas and would be an invaluable asset for the club to tap into. There are probably many more of you reading this forum who can also help.
So, if the club is interested, I’m here to help.

Great post. Maybe you should contact the club and sound out your ideas.
Manly has a lot to offer as a football club and it's more than just a great footy team.

In the world according to Nicci I would like to see plenty of community involvement from the team and not just the second stringers. Just because you're a bit older and have a couple more 00s on your contract doesn't mean players shouldn't be involved. I know Jamie Lyon participated in the school reading program. Snake seemed to be absent with his diabetes work this year? A bit alarming and apologies to the Snake if I'm wrong.

As you mentioned Beaver is an honourable legend. Even the staunchest Manly hater couldn't dislike Steve Menzies. Tommy Symonds is developing into a very likeable media personality too.

All players, not just Cherry Evans, should walk the fence after a win. After a loss, no high fives but stand together and give the fans a wave. Share the loss.

Seeing Cherry and Foz with that young cancer patient last week showed a humble side to two highly paid young stars and was great viewing.
There's a lot more to an Nrl team than 80 minutes of football each weekend.

It was great last year when Larissa from the club regularly posted on Silvertails.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4