1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manly looks to the NT

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by ManlyBacker, Jul 31, 2009.

1. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    Three young Northern Territory rugby league players have been invited to trial with NRL clubs next year.

Manly has invited hooker Jake Watts and lock-forward Dylan Cartwright to train with the Sea Eagles elite squad in January.

Cronulla wants Darwin High School student Bradley Hansen to play in the SG Ball under-18s competition.

Northern Territory Rugby League general manager Gary Launt says it is great to see the NRL looking past the Pacific Highway in search new players.

"We've got four kids now who played NRL this year and we're very proud of that," he said.

"Luke Kelly, Joel Romelo, James McManus and Will Chambers.

"And again there's more being looked at over the carnivals this year.

"And with our entry into the national competitions we can only further these players and this is our goal to make these players more available to NRL teams."

Phoebe Stewart  abc.net.au

2. Crusher_Cleal

Crusher_Cleal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +555 / 17
    There must be alot of indigenous players up north we can tap into. I'd like more at the club.

3. ManlyBacker

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    But can we afford the import bill for dugong and ngarlkirdi?

4. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    you would think there would be another Inglis or Thurston type around

5. OneEyedEagle

OneEyedEagle Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    I have long thought that Darwin is the growth area for RL, great move by the club.

6. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Wasn't Frank Stokes from Darwin ?

7. Normie

Normie Well-Known Member

Canberra
    Ratings:
    +326 / 4
    That's correct - Frank was from Darwin.

8. TokyoEagle

TokyoEagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 4
    Surely there would still be a few in the country, or are they another species that we have wiped out ?

9. ManlyBacker

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    Surely there would still be a few in the country, or are they another species that we have wiped out ?
    [/quote]
    TE, it was more the import bill from northern Oz to the Northern Beaches. I think witchetty grubs can be obtained in a few places. :)

10. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0
    What is the lower grade comp in the NT like, is it part of the QLD Cup? My worry is that if it is well below par these young kids might never be able to get up to speed, or failing that only the ones with real freak ability will.

11. TokyoEagle

TokyoEagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 4
    [/quote]
    TE, it was more the import bill from northern Oz to the Northern Beaches. I think witchetty grubs can be obtained in a few places. :)
    [/quote]

You never know MB, they might take a liking to the Brookie pie shop. Is it still there by the way ?