Manly join the race for Mead

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Didn't Tom Turbo get chased down by Frizell when we pumped the Dragons?

Turbo is very interesting, he obviously has pace and condition but I am not sure he has a sprinters "lungs"

He has made many long runs and watching him he seems to weaken after 50-60 metres (not slow down but physically weaken), on several occasions meekly giving in at the fullback.

People here have commented that they would like to see him take on the fullback ... it appears to me he can't. I suspect it may be a breathing fault, or simply he doesn't have the lungs of a sprinter.

Can go good all game, but a 60m sprint at full throttle f..ks him.

Turbo is very interesting, he obviously has pace and condition but I am not sure he has a sprinters "lungs"

He has made many long runs and watching him he seems to weaken after 50-60 metres (not slow down but physically weaken), on several occasions meekly giving in at the fullback.

People here have commented that they would like to see him take on the fullback ... it appears to me he can't. I suspect it may be a breathing fault, or simply he doesn't have the lungs of a sprinter.

Can go good all game, but a 60m sprint at full throttle f..ks him.
Did you not watch him in under 20s? He has so far for his NRL been playing in one leg.

Tom has only got run down this year because he has been caught by players who have had big headstarts.

Again you have had the ability to ignore or miss my point.

No where did I say Turbo was not fast. My point is he weakens at about the 60m mark. I believe it may, said may, be a breathing technique problem, which is starving his muscles for oxygen. According to rule of thumb he should be taking a minimum of about 12 full breaths over the 60m, if he is taking less he will be weakened.

Read the following.

Sprinting, or running at a high intensity, will get anyone out of breath -- and quickly. Different paced runs require different breathing techniques, and sprinting is different from other types of runs. It is important to be aware of how fast and frequently you are breathing when sprinting to make the most out of your run.

Watch Your Rhythm
The pace of your run determines the rhythm of your breath. According to Runner’s Connect, breathing rhythms are based on the number of steps you take, compared to your breath rate. When sprinting, a breathing rhythm of 1:2, which is one step breathing in and two steps breathing out; or 2:1, which is two steps breathing in and one step breathing out. Each of these breathing rhythms contribute to a larger capacity of oxygen being inhaled, which sprinting requires so that you do not tire as easily.

Not Just Your Lungs
The higher the amount of oxygen that travels through your body, the better your body will function while sprinting. The ability to deliver oxygen to your cells quicker helps you run even faster. This is best achieved by breathing using your belly, rather than using just your lungs to breathe while running. With belly breathing, you will use your stomach muscles to help your lungs push the air out, causing your stomach muscles to expand. When you exhale, tighten your stomach muscles, drawing your stomach in towards your spine, flattening it again. Your stomach should rise and fall, as opposed to your chest rising and falling. According to Marathon Guide, belly breathing allows you to inhale more oxygen, while expelling more carbon dioxide, which is crucial for sprinting so that you can run faster and not tire as quickly.

Open your Mouth
Breathing through your mouth, not just your nose, will allow more air to enter your body. Breathing through just your nose leads to a clenched jaw and the tightening of your facial muscles. When sprinting, your entire body including your facial muscles, should remain in a relaxed state, which breathing through your mouth also helps with. With your mouth open just slightly, you will be getting an adequate amount of oxygen into your body for your sprints.

Turbo, all sprinters are taught how to breath, 99% of footballers are not sprinters, and whilst they may be fast and have "sprint training" it is a long way from what the professionals do.

Anyone that thinks this guy is still fast needs to watch him play. He made a clean break against the Dragons and Euan Aitken rounded him up in 20m. Aitken is no quicker than Taufua.

Mead must have some serious injuries to lose that much pace.

I saw that also.

Again you have had the ability to ignore or miss my point.

No where did I say Turbo was not fast. My point is he weakens at about the 60m mark. I believe it may, said may, be a breathing technique problem, which is starving his muscles for oxygen. According to rule of thumb he should be taking a minimum of about 12 full breaths over the 60m, if he is taking less he will be weakened.

Read the following.

Sprinting, or running at a high intensity, will get anyone out of breath -- and quickly. Different paced runs require different breathing techniques, and sprinting is different from other types of runs. It is important to be aware of how fast and frequently you are breathing when sprinting to make the most out of your run.

Watch Your Rhythm
The pace of your run determines the rhythm of your breath. According to Runner’s Connect, breathing rhythms are based on the number of steps you take, compared to your breath rate. When sprinting, a breathing rhythm of 1:2, which is one step breathing in and two steps breathing out; or 2:1, which is two steps breathing in and one step breathing out. Each of these breathing rhythms contribute to a larger capacity of oxygen being inhaled, which sprinting requires so that you do not tire as easily.

Not Just Your Lungs
The higher the amount of oxygen that travels through your body, the better your body will function while sprinting. The ability to deliver oxygen to your cells quicker helps you run even faster. This is best achieved by breathing using your belly, rather than using just your lungs to breathe while running. With belly breathing, you will use your stomach muscles to help your lungs push the air out, causing your stomach muscles to expand. When you exhale, tighten your stomach muscles, drawing your stomach in towards your spine, flattening it again. Your stomach should rise and fall, as opposed to your chest rising and falling. According to Marathon Guide, belly breathing allows you to inhale more oxygen, while expelling more carbon dioxide, which is crucial for sprinting so that you can run faster and not tire as quickly.

Open your Mouth
Breathing through your mouth, not just your nose, will allow more air to enter your body. Breathing through just your nose leads to a clenched jaw and the tightening of your facial muscles. When sprinting, your entire body including your facial muscles, should remain in a relaxed state, which breathing through your mouth also helps with. With your mouth open just slightly, you will be getting an adequate amount of oxygen into your body for your sprints.

Turbo, all sprinters are taught how to breath, 99% of footballers are not sprinters, and whilst they may be fast and have "sprint training" it is a long way from what the professionals do.

To be fair he has not even stopped growing.....

Anyone that thinks this guy is still fast needs to watch him play. He made a clean break against the Dragons and Euan Aitken rounded him up in 20m. Aitken is no quicker than Taufua.

Mead must have some serious injuries to lose that much pace.
It wasnt Aitkin it was Mann and that was 60mins into Meads return from knee surgery 5 weeks earlier. He was gassed 10 mins into that game.

Lol comparing his speed to Tafua's.

Mead hasnt signed with anyone yet.

Tom has only got run down this year because he has been caught by players who have had big headstarts.
No, not really. Not the way he was run down against Canberra and also against Penrith. When he takes off, he puts a space on them but plateaus off after 40 or 50 metres.
I agree with Woodsie.
But it's a mute point, the old Manly would have had two or three players in support. Nu Manly on the other hand, no other real speedsters or capable support men (example: Dylan the dope) to keep up.
NYEagle

Every time Tom runs he slows down to look for support and doesn't back himself. A few of us have been saying that since the start of the year - he did the same thing against Souths. If he was 100% confident in his speed he would not be caught. Every time he gets caught, he visibly slows down looking left and right and that is when they get ground on him.

In the 9's he out ran Radradra (this year or last - can't remember) because he didn't worry about support.

*Edit: I actually think it is more to do with his unselfish nature that his first thought is to look for support rather than hog the ball and just run.

NWhen he takes off, he puts a space on them but plateaus off after 40 or 50 metres.

I do not care if our wingers die in the bum after 50 metres. If he can put space behind him an opposing backline over 30 metres that will do me and he will score a lot of tries.

Tommy has never struck me as someone who is super quick. He might be one of those deceptive runners who look slow but are in fact motoring, but if I was a betting man I'd say Snake in his prime was quicker than him over all distances between 10m and 100m. You only have to look at the times he has been run down when in the clear, or his reluctance to take on fullbacks with an in and away or to try and burn them on the outside. If he is super quick then he certainly doesn't have confidence in his own pace because I haven't seen him back himself. @Woodsie has it right, he hits the rev limiter at about 40-50m mark and doesn't have that turn of pace that the real speedsters possess.

He does have plenty of other special talents though so I'll forgive him for not being Usain Bolt like over 100m.

I seem to remember Scott running Tom down in the game against the Eels. Tom got into the clear with only the tryline in front of him. Scott came from nowhere and managed to stop him. The ground was heavy that night and Tom was having difficulty with his ankle so these likely contributed to him being caught but you would have expected him to easily out run Scott.

I personally think a lot of his being run down at times this year has more to do with running on one good ankle than anything else. And in the past few weeks he seems to have gotten away from that a bit. Still not perfect, but his confidence seems to be growing.

For all the talk about his lack of sustaining pace when running with the ball, when casing runaway opposition players he rarely gets burned off.

One thing I will say though is that he needs to work more on his aerobic fitness. For some reason he looked gassed in the 2nd half on Monday night after his 140+ metre first half.

I seem to remember Scott running Tom down in the game against the Eels. Tom got into the clear with only the tryline in front of him. Scott came from nowhere and managed to stop him. The ground was heavy that night and Tom was having difficulty with his ankle so these likely contributed to him being caught but you would have expected him to easily out run Scott.
Scott had the line on him as he was running to the center of the field away from the other winger therefore given Scott less distance to travel

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2