Manly join the race for Mead

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Turbo

Bencher
MANLY JOIN RACE FOR MEAD

Injury has deterred NRL clubs from going after Gold Coast flyer David Mead, with Manly the latest club joining the race for his signature.

The Sea Eagles are set for a major roster shake-up with the club on the lookout for a versatile outside back.

Last week it was reported that Brett Stewart could leave the club a year sooner than expected, with exciting fullback Tom Trbojevic itching for his chance to shine.

Market Watch can reveal there are also some concerns over the future of Steve Matai.

The 31-year-old is out for the rest of the year with a neck injury and under contract for next season, but whether his body can deal with the rigours of first grade is up in the air.

With Matai’s future clouded and Stewart reportedly eyeing a move to the Super League, the Sea Eagles feel Mead would prove a handy substitute with speed to burn.

f8098391ad59982e6829b300df1e7658

David Mead of the Titans scores a try.Source: Getty Images
Three weeks ago Super League outfit Castleford made a play for Mead, but the 27-year-old isn’t prepared to move to England at this stage of his career.

While he’s played on the wing this season, it’s understood Mead holds a desire to wear the No. 1, which could prompt him to leave the Titans.

An outside back who can play fullback, wing and centre, the Sea Eagles have identified Mead as a serious player of interest, with backs Jorge Taufua, Brayden Wiliame and Fabian Goodall off-contract, while Jamie Lyon will retire at the end of the season.

Mead was one of the Titans’ most consistent players before a knee injury sidelined him.

Eyeing a return in round 19, Mead is a one-club player and the Titans’ career leading try-scorer, crossing 63 times in 139 games.

I was bit savage on mead a couple of days back saying he was a reserve grader which I completely take back, I hadn't watched much of mead before and now I realise he is actually a very solid first grader with speed to burn. He will be a great addition to our backline and looks a great finisher. The backline is starting to come together and its looks pretty promising tbh.

1: T Trbojevic
2: J Taufua
3: D Walker
4: B Lee
5: D Mead
6: B Green
7: D Cherry-Evans

But I'm starting to think taufuas days are numbered unless he sorts out his high ball problems. Who do you guys think we should target as Taufuas replacement if he is forced to leave?

Could be good. Worried about players with knee injuries. It leads to tight hamstrings which leads to all sorts of time of the sidelines.

But I'm starting to think taufuas days are numbered unless he sorts out his high ball problems. Who do you guys think we should target as Taufuas replacement if he is forced to leave?

Why is that an issue in 2016.

Its no worse now that it was in 2012.

Yes to Mead and at fullback, should also give Stewart a shot at the No6 with Walker, Lyon, T.Turbo and Williame/Taufua as our backline. Although Lyon looks pretty good at 6.

I've been backing Stewart to come good but that hasn't eventuated so if his form doesn't pick up maybe give him a week or 2 off.

Yes to Mead and at fullback, should also give Stewart a shot at the No6 with Walker, Lyon, T.Turbo and Williame/Taufua as our backline. Although Lyon looks pretty good at 6.

I've been backing Stewart to come good but that hasn't eventuated so if his form doesn't pick up maybe give him a week or 2 off.
Stewart is leaving as is Lyon. Mead is being bought as a winger as Tom will be fullback.

He is a smart footballer, but he doesn't have that blinding speed anymore. He certainly still has a bit of toe, but he will be 28 next year, and that is a bit old to be signing an outside back in my view.

Again, Javid Bowen, or as was reported, Brenko Lee would be better options given their age, size and speed. They would also be cheaper than Mead and would allow a little more coin going towards someone like Gillett.

Stewart is leaving as is Lyon. Mead is being bought as a winger as Tom will be fullback.

I know you're stuck on Tom at fullback but I believe it will increase his longevity if he can play in the centres for a few years, even if only until his body fully develops.
Fullback or centre, I don't care. I just want to see him on the park for as long as possible.

with backs Jorge Taufua, Brayden Wiliame and Fabian Goodall off-contract

I thought Hex extended another 2 years. As for Mead, he's a bit of a meh signing. Surely we can do better if we have Killer's money to throw around and possibly Snakes as well. We should be looking for something off the top shelf, not mid range players.

He is a smart footballer, but he doesn't have that blinding speed anymore. He certainly still has a bit of toe, but he will be 28 next year, and that is a bit old to be signing an outside back in my view.

Again, Javid Bowen, or as was reported, Brenko Lee would be better options given their age, size and speed. They would also be cheaper than Mead and would allow a little more coin going towards someone like Gillett.
Yep agree about Brenko Lee

Mead is top shelf winger who can slot in and play well at FB that will come at a decent price....or you could stick with the Wright, Brenko Lee type signings

I kept a close eye on Mead at fullback a year or two back and he was doing something I have been surprised more players do not do and that is consistently be in a position to capitalize on either an offload or a half break at top speed. He was playing really well. Jorge has to move to the forwards or England. We persisted far too long with the wolf who like Jorge seemed to get worse at reading the game and catching the bomb as their careers progressed. We need wingers who are reliable and smart. I was watching the ex manly winger Chase ? Blair? playing in the centres for Melbourne against the Tigers and he is the same type of player in that he seems to be unaware of what is happening around him and was awful.

This thread title should read "Manly join race for mediocre leftovers"

David Mead?! I mean really?!

Chronic injuries, lost a ton of his old speed, and is built like a pretzel when the modern winger is a powerhouse...dumb signing!

He hasn't made a lick of difference to the Titans over the years, so why would he make a difference at Manly? We need some seriously good footballers not average first graders. This guy is no better than Jonathan Wright who we just signed from the Cowboys.

This thread title should read "Manly join race for mediocre leftovers"

David Mead?! I mean really?!

Chronic injuries, lost a ton of his old speed, and is built like a pretzel when the modern winger is a powerhouse...dumb signing!

He hasn't made a lick of difference to the Titans over the years, so why would he make a difference at Manly? We need some seriously good footballers not average first graders. This guy is no better than Jonathan Wright who we just signed from the Cowboys.
Matthew

I was bit savage on mead a couple of days back saying he was a reserve grader which I completely take back, I hadn't watched much of mead before and now I realise he is actually a very solid first grader with speed to burn. He will be a great addition to our backline and looks a great finisher. The backline is starting to come together and its looks pretty promising tbh.
I don't understand the basis on which you have changed your mind? He didn't play on the weekend so the only thing I can think of is you watched a youtube highlights clip and we all know how accurate an indicator that would be?!

And anyone thinking he still has speed to burn should tune in a little more frequently to Titans games because he has been burned by a number of players the last couple of years. Snake used to run 100 in under 11 seconds and he is lucky to keep up with Sam Thaiday nowadays...injuries can do terrible things and unfortunately David Mead has had his share and it's crippled his speed.

I don't understand the basis on which you have changed your mind? He didn't play on the weekend so the only thing I can think of is you watched a youtube highlights clip and we all know how accurate an indicator that would be?!

And anyone thinking he still has speed to burn should tune in a little more frequently to Titans games because he has been burned by a number of players the last couple of years. Snake used to run 100 in under 11 seconds and he is lucky to keep up with Sam Thaiday nowadays...injuries can do terrible things and unfortunately David Mead has had his share and it's crippled his speed.
I actually watched back the PNG game and saw some of the things he did which were actually very smart and he is still pretty quick and his most recent injury is an impact injury so it won't afftect his speed I understand it's not ligament damage

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6