Manly go on attack with re-shuffle

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
March 31, 2008 STEVE Menzies has predicted Manly will rediscover their attacking spark with the veteran back-rower shifted to No. 6 for the latest instalment of Monday night football.

Menzies told The Daily Telegraph he would be playing five-eighth at Brookvale Oval when the Sea Eagles take on New Zealand Warriors, with Jamie Lyon moving back to his preferred position in the centres.

David Vaealiki has been ruled out with a knee injury.

"I will be playing most of the game there," Menzies said.

"I won't be your traditional five-eighth. I will just be shifting the ball and looking to Matty (Orford) to run the show."

The gamble could prove a masterstroke with the Sea Eagles attack looking more pedestrian than potent after the departure of hooker Michael Monaghan.

"Monaghan was a great player and he created a lot of stuff for us," Menzies said.

"To have a player like that go overseas is disappointing but we have plenty of confidence in Matt Ballin.

"He has been with us for three years and we think, given some more game time, he will fill the role admirably."

Menzies admitted Manly's attack lacked creativity with the side posting just 22 points in the opening two rounds.

"We just need a bit more composure," he said. "Whether it's completing a set after we score points or applying pressure with our defence.

"I think we have been a bit off our best.

"Our attack has been a bit off. Defence has kept us in games.

"We do need to tweak the attack a little bit."

Menzies backed Lyon as a No. 6 but said he was looking forward to seeing the former Australia centre play with more room.

"I think he has the ball skills to play No.6," Menzies said. "But he has obviously played most of his football in the centres.

"I think everyone sees him as a typical centre. It's like me, I would rather play in the second-row but I'm quite happy to play five-eighth.

"I think Jamie is a bit the same. I think he is a very good centre and a good five-eighth too. He has played for his country in the centres so it will be great to have him there."

Menzies said he would not be changing his game "too much" after being charged with leading the Manly backline.

"It is pretty similar to playing in the back-row on an edge there.

"The role is pretty similar.

"I won't have to do too much kicking or worry about too many other things.

"I'll still be pushing up and my role won't be too structured.

"I will still be playing like an extra forward."

Newcastle might have been sh!te but Beaver played 5/8 well in that Rnd 22 game last year. He did what he was supposed to. Attacked the line with a couple of try assists aswell and scored a pie himself. Kept it simple. With his ball work and feeding the backline good.

Fingers crossed.

Jatz Crackers link said:
Newcastle might have been sh!te but Beaver played 5/8 well in that Rnd 22 game last year. He did what he was supposed to. Attacked the line with a couple of try assists aswell and scored a pie himself. Kept it simple. With his ball work and feeding the backline good.

Fingers crossed.

And i remember also that a week or 2 after that he was awful at 5/8 as well. Hopefully the Newcastle version turns up tonight

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=Jatz Crackers link=topic=177198.msg180760#msg180760 date=1206932614]

Fingers crossed.

hope the Manly 2007 version turns up

And i remember also that a week or 2 after that he was awful at 5/8 as well. Hopefully the Newcastle version turns up tonight
[/quote]

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4