Manly gets agro, referees go to water

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
Scenario: Manly's opponents have got the ball on tackle #1 just outside their own in-goal.

Manly have them hemmed in and our tacklers can come forward to meet the opposition.

How come it seems every time a Manly defender races up & smashes the next ball carrier on his hit up, the referees almost always ping Manly for inside the 10m?

It's usually Matai or G Stewart.

Anyone check this on video? Am I biased?

Usually because Matai is offside.

I do get what your saying, Matai sometimes seems to be offside however soon as they see someone spring out of the line to make a tackle more often than not they will ping you for offside!! Seems like sometimes its an easy way out or perhaps the crowd gets into the refs head also

The few occasions it has been called and had a wide angle I have seen Matai off each time by at least a metre

Just seems when G Stewart or Matai do it they get a penalty. When King does it or another forward it is rarely a penalty. I can't accept that Stewart & Matai are always offside when they do it BECAUSE they keep rushing up to do these hits AND surely Toovey would have made them stop getting offside.

In the Matai & Suttor video in the last wide shot Matai is onside with the other Manly players.

Haz88 said:
I do get what your saying, Matai sometimes seems to be offside however soon as they see someone spring out of the line to make a tackle more often than not they will ping you for offside!! Seems like sometimes its an easy way out or perhaps the crowd gets into the refs head also

Reynolds did exactly the same thing later in the game near half way and got away with it. Consistency?!

You're more chance to get away with it if 4 or 5 go together rather than the Matai solo shooter.

You are talking about two of our widest defenders. Whenever Kingy etc rush they are usually very close to the referee and in the middle of the park.

Gifty and Matai are both out wide and very much within the distance that a Touchy will be keeping an eye on them, and also wide enough that if they make a tackle in the middle, it's more common sense to assume they were offside.

Also if they were back pedalling to make the 10 i doubt they would just stop sprint forward out of the line to put a hit on , im sure they would be back set then looking to press forward.

Sometimes i think we may be offside or are then others i think perhaps easy option for the ref... 50/50 for mine.

Is it because Gifty and Matai hit so hard?

Easier to stop hard hits by pinging a player for being offside than to decide if the tackle was too high or not?

No it's because they are wider defenders and theoretically it should take them a lot longer to get there, this and they are usually offside when they are called. The touchies call this a lot

Does not mean that the ball is in the centre of the field all the time and that they are coming from out wide. I get what your saying but if the ball is out wide and he runs straight out for a shot still seems to find a way to get pinged lol

A question on penalty counts: Is it regarded as one or two penalties when a team is penalised 10 metres for backchatting - as we were against Canterbury. Some statisticians count it as one, others two . . .

it's not a big deal, but it does go to show that stats are influenced by interpretation, and not always accurate. The stats almost always differ in media reports for something as cut and dired as time in possession, so it's no wonder tackles, metres gained, errors etc are so subjective.

These penalties are generally early in a match- it wouldn't surprise me if it was an actual coaching instruction to test the extent to which refs will allow players in front of them in defence.

Daniel said:
No it's because they are wider defenders and theoretically it should take them a lot longer to get there, this and they are usually offside when they are called. The touchies call this a lot

Whenever i have seen it live most of the time Matai is onside as he was not involved in the previous play and is already back 10 before the player gets tackled. He then leave as the ball is played but due to the others being slow looks to be early and gets pinged for it. Basically its a bit of the floating forward pass that goes backwards scenario, its all relevant to the other players movement.

KOMORI said:
Dan's right..... But gee it's hard to tell with today's coverage that seems to focus tightly on the ruck and that alone...

Exactly, you hardly get to see if they were onside or not? Barely a replay.

I've noticed this year we get penalised more often in this area compared to last year.

In the words of the great B Stewart "Be Manly Don't Be A Dog"

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8