Manly fullback Brett Stewart has stressed his underachieving side would never “roll over”

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
BACK early from a groin injury, Manly fullback Brett Stewart has stressed his underachieving side would never “roll over.”

Stewart wasn’t named for the Sea Eagles’ clash with Melbourne at AAMI Park tomorrow night but has declared himself fit for a one-on-one fullback battle with Storm superstar Billy Slater.

Manly have not collected a wooden spoon in their 68-year history. But they currently sit last on the NRL ladder, desperate for a victory as they languish four competition points behind a logjam of eight teams.

Stewart said his side would continue to fight and scrap until that elusive win was found.

“It’s not as if we are rolling over, it’s frustrating,” Stewart said. “We’ve been in the majority of games that we have lost

For those five or 10-minute patches where we turn off, that’s where we need to teach those young blokes, that is when it can cost you the game.

“It is unchartered waters for me I supposed to an extent. The first two years I came here in ‘03 and ’04 we were in the rebuilding stage. There is a bit of a similar feel to that.

“We have a bit of youth coming through and now, me being a senior player, I suppose it’s time for us to take a bit more leadership.”

Manly have won just one game this season — a 24-22 victory over Melbourne in round two — as times are suddenly tough at Brookvale.
For those five or 10-minute patches where we turn off, that’s where we need to teach those young blokes, that is when it can cost you the game.
And facing the Storm away will only ensure their season will get tougher.

Asked had the season been frustrating, Stewart said: “At times. But I think we have to be patient as well. You look at the player roster, each week we are playing busted.

“It’s been like that since round one but that is no excuse.

“The blokes coming in should be doing the job like we have done in previous years. I can’t put my finger on what it is at the moment.

“We just can’t get any confidence I suppose. We have rep rounds coming up, we just need to find a way to start winning. And how that is I’m not sure yet but we need to find it soon.”

Stewart has been strong again this year and has a quiet eye on State of Origin selection.

No doubt a few wins would also boost his chances.

“I need to be on the field to be eligible for that (Origin),” Stewart said. “If I am fit and healthy then I will put my hand up and also if I am selected.”

Pressed on his impressive form, Stewart said: “I’d rather a win. I was quite happy, it was frustrating sometimes.
We play some really silly footy at times and you want to get in there and do it all yourself but not to overplay your hand.”

Stewart spoke of the positives surrounding Bob Fulton’s return to the club as a strategic football consultant.

“I think it will be good,” he said. “He’s got a wealth of experience and is also an Immortal. I can only see a benefit for the club, for sure.”

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8