Manly fanatics off to watch Eagles' bid to snare WCC

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Manly fanatics off to watch Eagles' bid to snare WCC
BY JOEL RITCHIE
25/02/2009

453127.jpg

A 23-hour flight halfway around the world might seem like a long way to go to watch a couple of rugby league games, but that doesn't faze Manly maniacs Barry Stewart, Col Eddy and Phil Allen.

The trio leave for England today to watch their beloved Sea Eagles tackle Leeds in the World Club Challenge at Elland Road on Sunday (Monday morning AEDT).

They will be part of a 20-strong tour group of diehards hoping the boys from Brookvale can become the first NRL side to bring home the symbol of international club supremacy since the Sydney Roosters in 2003.

The match is of special interest to Stewart, whose sons Glenn and Brett will line up for Manly fresh from the 40-0 win over Melbourne in last year's grand final.

When they return from England, Glenn and Brett will become the first brothers to launch an NRL season.

Both Wests Illawarra juniors made the trip after having off-season surgery; Brett on both shoulders and Glenn on his right shoulder.

Glenn, who made his Test debut during the World Cup late last year, is one of four top graders who were laid low by a virus in the lead-up to Manly's 34-26 trial win over Harlequins on Sunday.

Barry Stewart, who will be making his first trip to Europe, said Brett told him about Glenn's illness on Friday.

"Four of them were laid up with a virus and Glenn was one of them," Stewart said.

Despite the prospect of only seeing one of his boys play in the Old Dart, Stewart is excited about watching the Sea Eagles take on their Super League counterparts.

"It's the chance of a lifetime, to see the boys play in another country," he said.

Stewart spent last Tuesday week with his sons before they flew out with the rest of Manly's squad. Watching his sons help their club lift another trophy would cap a magical run, Stewart said.

A bonus of the trip is the chance to see Manly stalwart Steve Menzies play for Super League Bradford team against Huddersfield on Friday.

Stewart said his sons hadn't said much about the recent off-field dramas at Manly including the resignation of CEO Grant Mayer and infighting among owners Scott Penn and Max Delmege.

"The boys have kept very quiet, they wouldnt have a clue what's going on," Stewart said.

Is Baz now a Manly fan beyond just having his sons play for us?

Happy Birthday Cam - looking forward to reading your blog - safe travels and have a great trip (I'm very very envious!!!)

We'll be watching from the Leagues club so give us a wave - I'll sit on the right side of the big  screen (your left) just so you know which direction to wave in?

Farewell Cam and all, safe travels.......most leave tonight but quite a few have gone early.

There's 33 doing the full trip with about another 8 or so coming in to do Leeds only....our pre WCC Function has about 50 or so attending!!

It's pretty good really considering the tough financial times

The guys name above is also Colin Worthy NOT Colin Eddy

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Farewell Cam and all, safe travels.......most leave tonight but quite a few have gone early.

There's 33 doing the full trip with about another 8 or so coming in to do Leeds only....our pre WCC Function has about 50 or so attending!!

It's pretty good really considering the tough financial times

The guys name above is also Colin Worthy NOT Colin Eddy
thanks mark
and thank you

you and the club have done an amazing job putting this package together its going to be an amazing week and a bit.

Will also be interesting for Cam as many of the people involved in this board room scuffle will be either on the trip, or certainly at the functios and games.

Happy discussions mate!!

Blimey!
Imagine sitting next to Cliffy all the way to blighty!! LOL

Would make the trip with 2 kids under 3 seem like some kind of Nirvana!

We did the trip one year when the kids were little and a "so called" friend gave them a "goody bag" to take with them to help keep them amused on the trip.

I'd forgotten all about it until later when everyone (including me who was sat next to them) was sleeping on the plane and the kids woke up and and opened them....

In it were red frogs (Kiddy cocaine!). a tube of "bubbles" (The washing up liquid kind with the hoop on the stick) and those zither things that are a cheap musical instrument gadget....

You can only imagine the mayhem at 35,000 feet in a tin can with 2 kids bouncing off the walls, bubbles floating through the plane and people being awoken to the horrible noise of children blowing the zither to be then replaced by the noise of exteme protests as I tried to wrestle the offending articles off them....

I'm shuddering at the memory....

vidmar link said:
Blimey!
Imagine sitting next to Cliffy all the way to blighty!! LOL

Would make the trip with 2 kids under 3 seem like some kind of Nirvana!

We did the trip one year when the kids were little and a \"so called\" friend gave them a \"goody bag\" to take with them to help keep them amused on the trip.

I'd forgotten all about it until later when everyone (including me who was sat next to them) was sleeping on the plane and the kids woke up and and opened them....

In it were red frogs (Kiddy cocaine!). a tube of \"bubbles\" (The washing up liquid kind with the hoop on the stick) and those zither things that are a cheap musical instrument gadget....

You can only imagine the mayhem at 35,000 feet in a tin can with 2 kids bouncing off the walls, bubbles floating through the plane and people being awoken to the shrill schreaks of children blowing the zither to be then replaced by the noise of exteme protests as I tried to wrestle the offending articles off them....

I'm shuddering at the memory....

hahaha I have been on too many flights with this sort of stuff happening. These days a decent sleeping pill usually sees me through but I still get awoken occasionally by Red frogged up kids!

I'm jealous! Have a great trip guys and bring home the spoils.

So Vid, when the Customs man said did you pack all of this yourself? what did you say? haha. Sounds like A Tale of Two Cities and someone was transporting candy!

ManlyBacker link said:
I'm jealous! Have a great trip guys and bring home the spoils.

So Vid, when the Customs man said did you pack all of this yourself? what did you say? haha. Sounds like A Tale of Two Cities and someone was transporting candy!

Mate - they never used to ask that question until the incident mentioned above was circulated to the various civil airline authorities - it has nothing to do with terrorist threats - it is because my two caused the biggest mid air act of mayhem ever in aviation history!!!! LOL

That's a VERY good reason why you save all your pennies and fly FIRST CLASS...you avoid the children that fly...you can only but imagine how many plane trips I have been on in 35 years as a travel agent...and I have experienced everything you can throw at me.

Smelly people (well all smell after 27 hours in the air but it's worse when they start off that way).
People who fart non stop
People who drink too much (is that you Cliffy???) and want to get up to go to the loo every 5 mins
Kids..bloody kids whose parents can't control them (or don't want to)
People wanting to join the mile high club right beside you...AND NOT INVITING YOU TO JOIN IN!!!

Let me tell you I could talk for 27 hours about the experiences I have had!!!

Great thread. Sort of makes me happy I am not going, though the idea of seeing Manly at Leeds and Beaver playing is just fantastic. Have a great time all and take lots of photos.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4