Manly dragged into Essendon mess

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It's odd that no-one has tried to interview him yet. Maybe the Dogs already announced that he'd be making no comment?

WESTIE said:
Let’s see some initiative by the RLIC...seeing as some clubs, ours included, have been named regarding their sports science units being " raided", once they have collected the information they are after, then how about either announcing them as either clear of any wrong doing ASAP.....???? We were apparently the first club who's computers and offices were also forensically investigated re salary cap audit and no announcement since to my knowledge...Wouldn't it be in the NRL's interest to be clearing clubs in this instance , as they go, instead of allowing all clubs to be placed under this black cloud of controversy ?? Would a club have any grounds to sue should it be found that they are innocent of any of these claims, and the NRL sat on this info, allowing conjecture to remain and thus causing further unnecessary damage to "the brand" ??

Westie. You are oh so right. It is about time that the various authorities in this game started to assume the responsibilities they are paid for and that includes identifying those clubs and/or players at fault and publicly defending those clubs and/or players who have been shown to have nothing to answer for. Too often in the past they have allowed players and clubs to hang out there, often initiated by mischievous journo ramblings, without support despite being innocent and say nothing but are then fast to criticise.

This was the primary reason Gallop was so very poor as an administrator in the League. His failure to apologise to Brett Stewart after he had been found innocent and to still justify his actions based on inconclusive hearsay evidence about drinking too much, was not only shameful and gutless but demonstrated that the man should never be in a position of authority. How Soccer could take him on astounds me though I see he already blundered by announcing that famed 'bend it like..' star coming to Australia only to see him go elsewhere.

We need people and authorities at the top that stand up for our clubs and players if they do no wrong. Get some backbone or are you too frightened on Murdock's agendas

One question needs to be answered and that is:

Why did they announce that Manly, Penrith and Cronulla was going to be audited giving other clubs time to "dispose of documents and stuff'?

There answer will be because Dank worked at those clubs.

I find it a bit strange that they didn't raid all clubs without notice if the level of corruption and drug abuse is a bad as they say!

I wonder how much the AFL's three strike policy has had to do with this whole " drugs in sports" investigation ?? IMO i reckon its the main reason.....instances where players have gone to their AFL clubs admitting to benders on the pingers / bickies , ( and from what i understand this not counting as a strike ),coupled with the three strikes policy , must mean the AFL is sitting on dozens of instances where they knowingly have players using illicit drugs. The media dont rip into them, but, when an NRL player urinates in public it makes the front page here for example. To me seems as though phone taps of known criminals , and the probable prosecutions that are coming, has lead to the police, sporting authorites and the various governments in pre-empting the media fallout, and trying to be seen as being on the front foot. ( 100 % we will see the various governments claiming their role in this come election time )....assuming manly is clean, the only guys i think that are worried at the moment are the AFL, Essendon in particular and possibly some NRL players playing in a team just north of manly that have some form ordering pingers over the phone circa 2009/10.

swoop said:

Why did they announce that Manly, Penrith and Cronulla was going to be audited giving other clubs time to "dispose of documents and stuff'?

I find it a bit strange that they didn't raid all clubs without notice if the level of corruption and drug abuse is a bad as they say!

Because those 3 clubs are disposable. The NRL would love to ditch those teams in favour of either Perth, Central Coast, New Zealand, central Qld or a 2nd Brisbane side. It's certainly no coincidence.
Have not seen any mention of Canterbury, Saints,Parra,Souths,Tigers,Rorters what a surpirise.

mickqld said:
swoop said:

Because those 3 clubs are disposable. The NRL would love to ditch those teams in favour of either Perth, Central Coast, New Zealand, central Qld or a 2nd Brisbane side. It's certainly no coincidence.
Have not seen any mention of Canterbury, Saints,Parra,Souths,Tigers,Rorters what a surpirise.

The Scumdogs have more to worry about than we do, remember the Tandy affair. Greenturds response to this doesnt have his normal air of confidence or arrogance if you like, it also seems that he has Des on a tight dog lead or muzzled, that alone makes me suspicious.

Notice yesterday the afl came out an attacked ASADA saying they dropped the ball on this.
I'm thinking this will impact there game more then ours.

Earnie the Eagle said:
mickqld said:
swoop said:

The Scumdogs have more to worry about than we do, remember the Tandy affair. Greenturds response to this doesnt have his normal air of confidence or arrogance if you like, it also seems that he has Des on a tight dog lead or muzzled, that alone makes me suspicious.

I dont think so. Constant media reports on tv and news are referring to Manly. tv are constantly showing Manly games including the 2008 grand final in a fuzzy background during reports on this as if anyone wouldn't know it was us. I have a very very bad feeling about the outcomes of all this.

"The blackest day in Australian sport" is just BS if they don't step up and name teams and individuals. I'll stand by my comment that this is all about agency funding. It is dispicable that every professional sportsperson in Australia is tarnished and under suspicion. Unless they front up with facts then the whole lot (ACC, ASADA and pollies) should be put on notice for dismissal. It should only have been announced when it included criminal charges.

mickqld said:
I dont think so. Constant media reports on tv and news are referring to Manly. tv are constantly showing Manly games including the 2008 grand final in a fuzzy background during reports on this as if anyone wouldn't know it was us. I have a very very bad feeling about the outcomes of all this.

Mick, I think the reason they're focussing on Manly media footage is obviously due to speculation. Danks worked at Essendon and previously at Manly for 5 years and in that 5 years we won a premiership 40 nil.
Manly's calf blood use is widely known. The coaching staff used 'cutting edge sports science' - a term I'm beginning to hate.
At this stage there seems to be a lot of bluff claims hoping for someone to come out of the closet and dob someone in.
Imo and I could be wrong, this has the potential to lead lead to corrupt practices, eg: ex-players or staff, of any club, being bribed to act as whistleblowers, possibly stating false information.
It seems that there is no concrete evidence about any wrong doing at Manly, although the media is featuring our club constantly, waiting and hoping.
I think they are trying to achieve a shadow of doubt over the 2008 GF. They may achieve that with the general public.
There will be more slander to come.
Geez I hope we win in 2013.

Sea Eagles sub-committee investigated NRL club's use of cutting-edge supplements

Josh Massoud
The Daily Telegraph
February 09, 201312:00AM

FORMER Olympic sprinter and Manly director Melinda Gainsford-Taylor spearheaded an internal investigation into the club's use of cutting-edge supplements after learning players were injected with calves blood extract in 2008.

The revelation came as officers attached to the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority and Australian Crime Commission doping inquiry this week made moves to formally interview an ex-Sea Eagles player.

And as Manly launched their 2013 campaign with a trial against Cronulla at Brookdhvale last night,The Daily Telegraph learned a Sydney-based supplier of EPO has been in contact with leading NRL players over the past 12 months.

Gainsford-Taylor joined Manly's board shortly after the 2008 grand final win.

Sea Eagles directors were in the dark over coach Des Hasler's high performance unit and wanted to reconcile rising sports science costs.

In early 2009, Gainsford-Taylor was appointed to a sub-committee, along with former winger Jack Elsegood and chairman Scott Penn, to gather more information about Hasler's hi-tech regime.

The physiologist at the centre of this week's doping scandal, Stephen Dank, was working for Manly at the time and introduced Hasler to dhActovegin - the calves blood derivative that aids tissue repair - the previous season.

Gainsford-Taylor declined to comment about the sub-committee yesterday.

"I'd prefer not to make any comment because it relates to board-level material and I'd rather keep that confidential," she said.

Elsegood last night said the board's desire to cut costs motivated the investigation.

It's understood about $200,000 was slashed from Hasler's sports science budget in 2010 - Dank's final season at the club. Dank also fell foul of some coaching staff after offering to give a player dhActovegin intravenously.

"I was involved in that sub-committee and we were looking at ways to reduce expenses," Elsegood said.

"I don't know whether Mel had any concerns about the supplements, but our broad brief was to look across the whole department and find out how we could save money."

Manly were the second club to have their sports science records audited as part of the NRL's current review, with Deloitte operatives descending upon the club's Narrabeen headquarters Thursday morning.

The Daily Telegrapha spoke with a former top-grader who said EPO - the red cell booster that was popular with drug-cheating cyclists - was in close proximity to top players. He claimed one dealer had a relationship with several past and present stars.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/sea-eagles-sub-committee-investigated-nrl-clubs-use-of-cutting-edge-supplements/story-e6frexnr-1226574282477

so the hack tries to link his last broad statement paragraph to the rest of the story about Manly. Another News witch hunt article trying to discredit us.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2