Manly discard happy at Sharks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don't agree. No compromise for success . At the end of the day a club only wins fans when they win games . Foran had no compassion for us and he looked after himself and clubs do the same . The game has changed and we all have to accept this and move on .
Seems very black and white for you.

Hypothetical: What if a player left, and was not perceived (by other players) as being treated well by the club/coach/etc. Could this impact their motivation, being human beings? Or would you only recruit machines? Could they lose some loyalty and commitment to the club? to the coach? Could they assume if another player wasn't treated well, that they are likely to not be treated well at some time in the future? Could we find them going to another club, even for lower money, where they perceive they (and their mates) will be better treated?

When people are mistreated in work situations, are the best, most capable people likely to be the first to choose to leave - because they are the most marketable? And is it the most insecure people who try to hang onto their jobs the longest?

Seems very black and white for you.

Hypothetical: What if a player left, and was not perceived (by other players) as being treated well by the club/coach/etc. Could this impact their motivation, being human beings? Or would you only recruit machines? Could they lose some loyalty and commitment to the club? to the coach? Could they assume if another player wasn't treated well, that they are likely to not be treated well at some time in the future? Could we find them going to another club, even for lower money, where they perceive they (and their mates) will be better treated?

When people are mistreated in work situations, are the best, most capable people likely to be the first to choose to leave - because they are the most marketable? And is it the most insecure people who try to hang onto their jobs the longest?
There are Hypothetical situations and real life situations and the real life NRL club is a business that has pressures to keep the fans and sponsors happy by WINNING GAMES and to do this the club needs to choose and unite a group of players it believes will achieve success . A new coach comes in with a different direction then the previous coach and he tells certain players that they are not included in his future plans and have a choice to play NSW cup or find another club that would benefit them . Players break contracts and leave clubs and visa versa and this has been happening for years now . Its the way things are . Not one player has taken our club to court for unfair dismissal or treatment
I think we both have different views and we will agree to disagree and be happily Manly :)

There are Hypothetical situations and real life situations and the real life NRL club is a business that has pressures to keep the fans and sponsors happy by WINNING GAMES and to do this the club needs to choose and unite a group of players it believes will achieve success . A new coach comes in with a different direction then the previous coach and he tells certain players that they are not included in his future plans and have a choice to play NSW cup or find another club that would benefit them . Players break contracts and leave clubs and visa versa and this has been happening for years now . Its the way things are . Not one player has taken our club to court for unfair dismissal or treatment
I think we both have different views and we will agree to disagree and be happily Manly :)
You've totally avoided the guts of my questions. Why? And you've jumped to a conclusion in your final sentence that is astounding. I raise one query posting and you immediately write off any chance of us ever seeing eye to eye on anything? Really?

I was seeking to draw a distinction between WHAT is done and HOW it is done. And seeking to explore how empathy & compassion (part of the HOW) can be a vitally important ingredient in making a WHAT change succeed.

You've totally avoided the guts of my questions. Why? And you've jumped to a conclusion in your final sentence that is astounding. I raise one query posting and you immediately write off any chance of us ever seeing eye to eye on anything? Really?

I was seeking to draw a distinction between WHAT is done and HOW it is done. And seeking to explore how empathy & compassion (part of the HOW) can be a vitally important ingredient in making a WHAT change succeed.
The main thing that we will ALWAYS see eye to eye and understand is that we are both supporters of the greatest and most envied team in the world the mighty Manly Warringah Sea eagles feathered friend :)

I think you could do worse than have JSL come off the bench. He has a nice offload and really lifts the tempo when he comes on. He is certainly no world beater, but a whole hearted player. I will forever be grateful for the offload he threw in the final movement of the try against Canberra this year at Canberra Stadium. That was the moment of the year for me!

There are many players that we let go that I have fond memories of and hoped the club could have kept like our very own spectacular Phil Blake and as I was disappointed along came one of our greatest in Cliff Lyons to replace him
Players will always come and go and our great club will always be the mighty Sea eagles !!!

The main thing that we will ALWAYS see eye to eye and understand is that we are both supporters of the greatest and most envied team in the world the mighty Manly Warringah Sea eagles feathered friend :)
Am I talking to a real person here? Or are you only willing to let me see the corporate script?

I'm asking you to look with human eyes at human beings. And to see how human beings have human reactions. That they are not just objects. And that if Barrett & co do not handle the human side of managing this team, then we will have no hope of success - no matter the roster we put together.

Am I talking to a real person here? Or are you only willing to let me see the corporate script?

I'm asking you to look with human eyes at human beings. And to see how human beings have human reactions. That they are not just objects. And that if Barrett & co do not handle the human side of managing this team, then we will have no hope of success - no matter the roster we put together.
The reality is that this changing of the guard and players has been happening for years here at Manly and these players( human beings ) have got their life together just like we all do when things don't work out the way we want to at school or our work place and these human beings have either won premierships with Manly or moved on to another club or left the game completely to purse another career that is more rewarding for them .
One of Barrett's best traits is that he has a good people skills and has always had a good relationship with the players he has coached and they all have respect for him .

The reality is that this changing of the guard and players has been happening for years here at Manly and these players( human beings ) have got their life together just like we all do when things don't work out the way we want to at school or our work place and these human beings have either won premierships with Manly or moved on to another club or left the game completely to purse another career that is more rewarding for them .
One of Barrett's best traits is that he has a good people skills and has always had a good relationship with the players he has coached and they all have respect for him .
That is exactly the point I was seeking to draw out. That good people skills are vital. Players are people, first and foremost. If they feel the coach/club are genuinely on their side, and that they are genuinely valued, then they will commit more fully to the coach/club. If they are treated as just another easily disposable object then we know what we can expect in terms of commitment.

It's like any relationship. If you feel you're only being used, and will be disposed of at a whim, then what likelihood of returning loyalty? Once players play for themselves the team is lost.

So HOW Manly treats its players on recruitment, day-to-day and yes, when saying goodbye, is VITALLY important. They need to treat players and staff with the utmost respect, at all times, if they would like that attitude returned.

It is entirely possible - and necessary - to make the hard decisions AND to do it with compassion.

That is exactly the point I was seeking to draw out. That good people skills are vital. Players are people, first and foremost. If they feel the coach/club are genuinely on their side, and that they are genuinely valued, then they will commit more fully to the coach/club. If they are treated as just another easily disposable object then we know what we can expect in terms of commitment.

It's like any relationship. If you feel you're only being used, and will be disposed of at a whim, then what likelihood of returning loyalty? Once players play for themselves the team is lost.

So HOW Manly treats its players on recruitment, day-to-day and yes, when saying goodbye, is VITALLY important. They need to treat players and staff with the utmost respect, at all times, if they would like that attitude returned.

It is entirely possible - and necessary - to make the hard decisions AND to do it with compassion.
I would like to think and hoped that this was all done with compassion and in a professional manner . None of us on here were in the meeting with the coach or the players

I think you can be sure that Barret didnt just tell them to fk off and get out.

I would like to think and hoped that this was all done with compassion and in a professional manner . None of us on here were in the meeting with the coach or the players
We see eye to eye on this.@;)

We lose Sene-Lefao and have gained Kapow and you are still sad ?
Snap out of it feathered friend :)
We also lost Geoff Toovey and signed Trent Barrett. And we lost Kieran Foran and signed Tim Moltzen.
Did you jizz over those as well?
The calibre of the players involved is not the point. Both JSL and Taupau were contracted to their previous clubs for at least another year. If discarding our own contracted players to make way for other clubs contracted players makes you proud that's your choice. None of us liked it when the Bulldogs were approaching Hasler while he was still under contract.

Last edited:
Too difficult to show some class towards a departed player? Pity.
Don't cry for what is lost feathered friend but rejoice on what we have gained and we have gained a class forward .
Have pity on the faint hearted people that cant make the tough decisions and hold their club back from excelling .
Go the mighty Sea eagles !!!
000041-d7d61860-290f-11e5-9d0c-854b9fdb7825.jpg

We also lost Geoff Toovey and signed Trent Barrett. And we lost Kieran Foran and signed Tim Moltzen.
Did you jizz over those as well?
The calibre of the players involved is not the point. Both JSL and Taupau were contracted to their previous clubs for at least another year. If discarding our own contracted players to make way for other clubs contracted players makes you proud that's your choice. None of us liked it when the Bulldogs were approaching Hasler while he was still under contract.
Whether you like it or not. Whether you can handle it or not welcome to the world of professional NRL and its not a place for the faint hearted .
We are the Silvertails because we were ruthless and wanted to win at all costs and we raped and raided all other teams and people with your mentality hated us .
Am I proud that we raided other teams juniors and representative players when the other teams supporters despised us and said what we had done is not in the spirit of the game ?
I am very proud we did and turned the game to what it is today .The professional game of Rugby League
I am glad Fulton is back .Ruthless people get Results
Memories Jamie Lyon breaks contract to go to Manly ...
JamieLyon.jpg

Last edited:
Don't cry for what is lost feathered friend but rejoice on what we have gained and we have gained a class forward .
Have pity on the faint hearted people that cant make the tough decisions and hold their club back from excelling .
Who's crying? Did releasing JSL actually make a difference to whether Tapau came? Given the raft of losses, I doubt it.

Manners cost nothing. Would you stand in front of JSL and diss his efforts and rub in his face the arrival of another player, while he's moved on while still having a contract? Somehow, I don't think so.

Like nearly all past players (yes, even the Chocs and Forans), I respect the men who have worn our colours out on the field. They get belted on and off the field just so we can feel good about ourselves for a couple of hours a week, during the season. As well as a solid footballer with moments of class, JSL strikes me as a very good person and dedicated family man. Perhaps not a top shelf player but definitely better than all that sit in this forum and cast their opinions.

At the very least, I will say 'thank you' for his efforts in the Manly colours, and best wishes moving forward in his career and with his family.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8