Manly Daily Opinion The Manly board has to explain this to fans

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
OPINION:
The Manly board has to explain this to fans

7 OCT 11 @ 06:00PM BY LUKE MCILVEEN, EDITOR

The final straw for Hasler was the appalling handling of the sacking of Peter Peters.

THE sacking of Peter Peters is not the only reason Des Hasler is set to walk out on Manly - but it was certainly the catalyst.

The huge pay rise presented by the Bulldogs cannot be matched by the Sea Eagles, but the loyalty he has to the maroon and white has been sorely tested over the past year.

The Manly board huffed and puffed about keeping Dessie for life - but nobody bothered to hand him a pen and a contract.

Hasler asked the board repeatedly to extend his contract beyond 2014, but for reasons best known to themselves they put him off.

When Zorba was shown the door, the decision was taken out of their hands.

Put simply, the relationship between Hasler and the board - particularly COO David Perry and chairman Bob Reilly - became toxic in the aftermath of “Sortgate”.

I have it on good authority that when one board member was warned that Des would walk, he simply replied: “Nobody’s irreplaceable.”

Really? There are more than a few Manly fans who would disagree today.

The club has been split down the middle, with Hasler running the football operations completely separate to the front office.

Senior players have barely uttered a word to club bosses since Zorba was stood down over his infamous “good sort” remark following Glenn Stewart’s appearance at the NRL judiciary.

The bumbling fashion in which the club chose to handle the Zorba sacking forced Hasler to take time away from his players to engage in a political bunfight within the club.

He declared it was either him or Perry and Reilly. The last straw for Hasler was when Reilly was quoted in The Sydney Morning Herald last week as saying there was no problem between them. That was news to Des.

So who’s to blame? In my view, it’s not Des Hasler. This is not a case of a coach secretly sniffing around for extra cash using his latest premiership as leverage.

He gave them every opportunity to secure his services for at least another three years.

The responsibility rests with the board, who took the second-best coach in the game for granted and must now explain their thinking to the fans.

All you can do is shake your head and wonder WTF the people on the board were thinking.....I know some people believe Zorba had to go and that changes had to be made which is fair enough, but surely the whole thing could have been handled better so all parties were happy.

Well done Bob, you must be very proud today, you are right no one is irreplaceable - including you.

The board all need to hand in their resignations by the sounds of the above article none of them had the clubs best interests in mind

Agree BE, the only thing they had in mind was there own ego

Yep what a joke we are being run by a bunch of goons the whole board should be sacked and get some new people involved, surely we are better then this. How can we go on next year like this with the split in playing ranks and people not talking to each other. Perry could have the shortest stint of all time as chief exec if you ask me

I cannot beleive that our 2 major owners would allow this to happen to lose the best coach in the competition.

I wonder what the sponsors reaction will be? Certainly couldn't imagine any new sponsors wanting to come on board with the **** that has been happening in the club for 5 years now. This is just like north sydney used to go on.

Just shattered

What a disgrace. Bob Reilly and those other leeches need to resign they won't though they are too arrogant. They may well be remembered as the people who mortally wounded the manly club. Hold your heads in shame I cannot wait for his two puppets to come on here and pedal more of their lies. Enough is enough time to go you frauds.

yeah, seeing the club is now going to go through change, let hope it happens at board level. If this isnt a huge kick in the teeth to the execs and the board, i dont know what is.

If all of this so, why then didn't Des and the players let the fans know this week so we could KEEP him at Manly by demanding what Des felt needed to be done?

Telling us all now after he has signed to go elsewhere and our team is about to be ripped apart is no use.

tookey said:
I cannot beleive that our 2 major owners would allow this to happen to lose the best coach in the competition.

I wonder what the sponsors reaction will be? Certainly couldn't imagine any new sponsors wanting to come on board with the s**t that has been happening in the club for 5 years now. This is just like north sydney used to go on.

Just shattered

Yep absolutely heart breaking every bloody time we seem to be getting our head above the water someone from with in the club keeps pushing us back under. We seem more interested in petty infighting rather then doing the job of a board. Sad times

In all honesty it sounds more like Des has created this situation than the board. I know Zorba is a friend of his but as a media manager he was a failure. How he couldn't understand that calling Megan Bernard was going to create a ****storm is beyond me. I know he was trying to deflect her questions but how about saying "no comment". It isn't that hard. So if Des has split the club over Zorba's stupid comments then Des can go.

I cannot believe that Des Hasler can be let go. Who is responsible? Des is the heart and soul of Manly not just a coach and more valuable than ANY player or administrator. Des and his staff set new standards that every other club was trying to match, now those secrets and innovations are being sold to the Dogs. Whoever is responsible should hang their head(s) in shame and be banished from our great club for life, they are NOT Manly. There were the makings of a dynasty there with Des and Crusher at the helm but not now. Will the same people that let Des go, let all our rising and established stars go too. I am so angry and upset that I can hardly type. We fans have endured more than most in the past decade to get to where the club is now. I have been a Manly diehard for 40 years but now I feel like walking away from footy for good as I could never support another club.I cant imagine winter without it.
I feel like handing in my membership. In fact I can't remember a hollower feeling. We're supposed to be savouring a fantastic premiership win but this tarnishes it. I hope I'm wrong but to go back to back in 2012, the pressure may now multiply exponentially with all the uncertainty of who will stay for 2013 and who will follow Des to the Dogs. The players play their hearts out for Des,each other and the fans NOT the Board. We supporters had a saying 'In Des We Trust' NOT In the Board we Trust, because lets face it, our onfield success was in spite of the Board not because of it.

There is obviously politics behind this which I readily admit to not understanding but I cannot support my beloved Manly with anything near the same passion while those responsible remain on the Board or in positions of authority. It would seem that their passion for this great club does not match that of the fans, perhaps they consider their own personal agendas to be more important and bigger than the club. I can assure them that they are not. Manly will survive despite their efforts to undermine it, they've just made it so much harder.
If those responsible have any integrity at all they will reveal themselves and explain their actions to us, the supporters who are the beating heart of any club, but what possible excuse could they have. True, footy is a business now but it is and always will have a traditional and tribal element that some in positions of authority at Manly just don't get. I and thousands of supporters would walk barefoot over broken glass for the Sea Eagles yet these people can't get beyond their own petty biases, agendas and power struggles. If they dont love the club like we do they shouldnt be in a position to make disgraceful decions like letting Des go.

This club has a history of overcoming obstacles but I can't see that happening with the administrators we have now. It would seem that they are in fact THE obstacle. ANY player can be let go but Des? They're absolutely kidding themselves.The either dont know or they dont care. Men like Des and Peter Peters have shed blood for Manly and have more integrity and maroon and white in one of their toenails than the entire board put together. Shame on them all.

This may be pre-emptive but I cannot deny how I feel. My words may just be the rantings of an overly emotional fan but the Board has an obligation to respond publicly to all the Manly fans who feel this way (and there are thousands of us) and show us how we, not the Board, have got it wrong.

New broom: Zorba goes, Des goes, the board members responsible go. But to me it seems too early to suggest Perry should go. He was given the agenda of big change. And change hurts.

What astounds me is how Bob Reilly thought he'd still have his position on the board once Des left and the real facts came to light.
Surely he knew that he would be lynched ffs. His stupidity is beyond comprehension.

the mauler said:
What astounds me is how Bob Reilly thought he'd still have his position on the board once Des left and the real facts came to light.
Surely he knew that he would be lynched ffs. His stupidity is beyond comprehension.

Unfortunately he seems to survive this time we can only hope we get rid of everyone who is not rowing with us

Rex said:
New broom: Zorba goes, Des goes, the board members responsible go. But to me it seems too early to suggest Perry should go. He was given the agenda of big change. And change hurts.

Are you saying his agenda included getting rid of Des ? Crazy agenda if that's the case.

Maybe its about developing a new culture in the club, one of modernity and friendliness, not, as the rest of the league sees us (which i dont agree with) as insolent whingers who need to build bridges and move on. I don't know, im struggling to understand the reasoning behind letting the best coach for Manly go. Bennett may be the best, but Hasler is the best for Manly.

And so soon after a premiership. WInning for us is like a curse, last time we had the failed season launch, before that was the superleague war and the merger, and before that i was too young, but im sure there was some other monumental act of bastardry.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4