Manly crowds over the years

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

smirny

I've done a little research and I have found that manly crowds have fallen for the 4th consecutive season. In 2011 we averaged 15,296 and that has decreased each year with this season having an average of 10,955. It's hard to argue the team's performance being the main reason for the fall, as in 2011 we won the GF, but crowds for 2012 decreased by 1000. In 2012 we finished 4th but crowds still decreased by 1000 the following year. In 2013 we were in the grand final but crowds still decreased by 1000 the following season. In 2014 we finished 2nd but crowds still decreased by 1000 in the following season.

Our average crowd for the past 5 years is 13,400.

How do we reverse this trend?

Well,I guess a start is asking who on here used to go but has stopped at some point in the last 5 years?
And I don't mean people who've moved overseas or had a baby or now have an inflexible job.
I mean who of you who are in the same situation and have the same ability to get to games as you used to just don't bother any more?

the amount of wet weather matches we have in a season would affect the figures I would think. The 6000 crowd we had in Albury wouldn't have helped this year. Averages only mean so much.

Raising membership prices for next season on the back of punting Tooves... some of my friends & family have already said they won't be renewing. That won't help with reversing declining crowd figures.

I remember going to 2 brookvale games in 1990 one was against the broncos and one against the bulldogs . Not sure which game was first but the scores were manly 20 dogs 0 and manly 26 broncos 0. The bloody ground was busting at the seems absolutely packed and it was the cliffy Lyons show . He got the state Bank big game mom both games . God I'll never forget those days the crowd was worth half the points. Bella. Iro. Iro. Ridge . Lyons . Toovey. Hasler. Cunningham. Dunford. Roberts. Wow.

I've done a little research and I have found that manly crowds have fallen for the 4th consecutive season. In 2011 we averaged 15,296 and that has decreased each year with this season having an average of 10,955. It's hard to argue the team's performance being the main reason for the fall, as in 2011 we won the GF, but crowds for 2012 decreased by 1000. In 2012 we finished 4th but crowds still decreased by 1000 the following year. In 2013 we were in the grand final but crowds still decreased by 1000 the following season. In 2014 we finished 2nd but crowds still decreased by 1000 in the following season.

Our average crowd for the past 5 years is 13,400.

How do we reverse this trend?
Would love to play more Sydney teams at brookie. The out of towners bring no fans.

Biggest home crowds are usually dogs and purple scum, who we played in rounds 2 & 3 after getting smashed by parra first up and the massive blows of losing DCE and then Foran in back to back weeks.

10k for both those games instead of 17-20k that we might get in other years.

The worst ever first half of a season didn't help either.

Did you know (I researched this about 3 months ago) that our average home crowds at Brookie have actually gone down every year after we've won a premiership......except 1973.

Edit: make that 1972

Last edited:
Did you know (I researched this about 3 months ago) that our average home crowds at Brookie have actually gone down every year after we've won a premiership......except 1973.
I believe that. A premiership win satisfies many. Not me though, I need the next one as soon as we win one.

Public transport infrastructure half as good as Melbourne would be step one

Step 2 is create more superstars

Play against Sydney teams more

Play Sunday afternoon

Lessen the television experience and enhance the Brookvale experience

Local bands as halftime entertainment

I've been going to every home game since 1980 so I can't tell anyone why people don't go.

The weather would be a factor and most games either had some rain or at least forecast for rain this year.

The Albury game with 6000 would've dropped the average a little and on 3 Sunday games at home as well.

Manly fans need successful teams to support otherwise they tend to drop off (like most teams supporters).

While we've had a consistent drop in attendances, I think it's like that across the board for Rugby League. Attendances have dropped for a lot of teams and it's only the broncos crowds and the odd bumper dogs v souths etc crowds that have helped the overall averages.

I just hope we have a decent start to the year otherwise an average of 10,000 is on the cards again.

On another note, does anyone know about the 2 interstate games for 2016?

Are they both in Brisbane or 1 Brisbane and 1 another state?

Seems Gosford is off for next year.....unless the other 10 are there!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6