Manly crowd v wanderers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Disco said:
Chip and Chase said:
Soccer is a boring game so of course you need chants and stuff to keep the crowd interested. There are big blocks of time where there is sweet FA happening on the pitch. Sure the atmosphere is great but I prefer on field action/atmosphere to the off field stuff.

I don't want to bite but i will..............Football is NOT a boring game!

You're right, there are some moments when soccer isn't boring.

When the players "drop, roll and writhe" after the sniper gets them is quite funny. Even more impressive are the miracle recoveries as soon as the stretcher makes it to the sideline and they bound off it like nothing even happened. I haven't figured out whether it is the stretcher itself or crossing the sideline that has the desired curative effect, but whatever it is the Australian government should invest some of that medical research funding into the phenomena.

I also like how they chase the referee around gesticulating wildly in his face, that is highly amusing from grown men. Crazy soccer players, you can't keep them out of the action, and it so often makes the referee change his decision ;)

So I suppose there are enough funny moments to keep one's interest in some games.

Merdy33 said:
I wonder what the crowd and atmosphere would be like if there were only two Sydney teams in a national rugby league competition who only played each other three times in a season and the season was moved to Summer so it didn't have to compete with any other football code?

And that is credit to the FFA for moving the league to the summer, they saw a hole in the market and capitalized, it was exactly what was needed

In regards to the 2 teams, the AFL also have two teams and you can see how we'll GWS are doing

The Sydney market is overcrowded in the NRL, in a perfect world 2 teams at least would make way for Perth, Brisbane and then maybe a third for Adelaide or Central coast..........or even NZ

But tradition will make that difficult

Disco said:
Merdy33 said:
I wonder what the crowd and atmosphere would be like if there were only two Sydney teams in a national rugby league competition who only played each other three times in a season and the season was moved to Summer so it didn't have to compete with any other football code?

And that is credit to the FFA for moving the league to the summer, they saw a hole in the market and capitalized, it was exactly what was needed

In regards to the 2 teams, the AFL also have two teams and you can see how we'll GWS are doing

The Sydney market is overcrowded in the NRL, in a perfect world 2 teams at least would make way for Perth, Brisbane and then maybe a third for Adelaide or Central coast..........or even NZ

But tradition will make that difficult

Yes, that's the other point.
Too many teams in NSW.
..and the Bears wants to come back! ONLY if it's in Adelaide.

Also, the Wanderers have done well to join and win immediately. Dunno what songs get sung if they were getting pumped every week like the league teams of their fans. Maybe that's why the fans are so psyched. Back to back spoons for Parra and the Dragons going rubbish - this is all they have...

The ESL (Super League) is fantastic, only been to a few games but as Peter C (who was with us in Leeds in 2012) said even the atmosphere at the Warrington-London Bronco's game was fantastic, and with only 12,000.

The WCC games were incredible, the Leeds Rhino's chants are spine tingling because EVERYONE does it.

I know the Push it Up Manly crew are all (or most) avid Sydney FC fans and love the atmosphere in the Cove....they try to bring that to the Hill but are pushing you know what up hill to get it to work.

I guess it's just the difference between the two games and fans

Fluffy said:
KaZa said:
Sydney FC as well. Much more civilised too.

It is just the culture of football that creates that atmosphere. The singing is not really done in any other game. Chanting yes.. singing no. NFL seems to have the record of loudest atmosphere which is interesting.

The sad part of rugby leagues atmosphere.. it is just yelling out crap like 'hes offside' 'put him in a coffin' etc. It doesnt add to the game and most people are silent until something happens. Each game is different.

If you call getting drenched in beer and throwing flares around civilised then ok.

Was actually having a dig at the wanderers fans with the flares. Mind you i have been drenched many times at rugby league games by drunken idiots.

It is part of "the cove" experience - buy 4 drink 1 throw 3 (in the air not directed at the opposition fans).

I have no issues with that but it is hardly civilised compared to league.

Then you get fans turning their back and missing large chunks of the game, which again points to the crowd involvement needed to create interest in what can be a rather boring sport to watch at times.

Chip and Chase said:
Disco said:
Chip and Chase said:
Soccer is a boring game so of course you need chants and stuff to keep the crowd interested. There are big blocks of time where there is sweet FA happening on the pitch. Sure the atmosphere is great but I prefer on field action/atmosphere to the off field stuff.

When the players "drop, roll and writhe" after the sniper gets them is quite funny. Even more impressive are the miracle recoveries as soon as the stretcher makes it to the sideline and they bound off it like nothing even happened. I haven't figured out whether it is the stretcher itself or crossing the sideline that has the desired curative effect, but whatever it is the Australian government should invest some of that medical research funding into the phenomena.

I also like how they chase the referee around gesticulating wildly in his face, that is highly amusing from grown men. Crazy soccer players, you can't keep them out of the action, and it so often makes the referee change his decision ;)

So I suppose there are enough funny moments to keep one's interest in some games.

Love this argument. The 'diving' is happening in league alot more now too and noone says anything. Players like Reynolds Inglis etc do what they can to win a penalty for their side. A forward copping a slap across the face stays down like he got shot to get the video ref to look at the incident. Yes the rolling around gets a bit silly at times but its apart of the game to get an advantage for your team. It happens in every sport just in different ways.

The 0-0 draw argument being boring is another funny one. When its 4-0 in Rugby league (equivalent to 1-0 in football) it was an exciting 'forward battle' game. If you reward each football goal 4 points instead of 1 you will have similar scorelines. I have seen many 0-0 games that are full of chances and are exciting and i have seen many boring 2-1 games. Just depends on the style of play.

I love both games. Both have good and bad sides to it but i still love both games. What is similar to all sports is the referring standards are poor everywhere!

Fluffy said:
It is part of "the cove" experience - buy 4 drink 1 throw 3 (in the air not directed at the opposition fans).

I have no issues with that but it is hardly civilised compared to league.

Then you get fans turning their back and missing large chunks of the game, which again points to the crowd involvement needed to create interest in what can be a rather boring sport to watch at times.

Thats your opinion and fair enough.

Been to brookie for 6 years straight now having missed very few games but the drinking is worse than sydney fc games ive been too. Alot worse at other clubs (brookie aint as bad as some other league venues)

Jeez, soccer fans would be at a loss if it wasn't for that 4-0 league game last year.

Chip and Chase said:
Disco said:
Chip and Chase said:

I also love the "lift up the jersey and show your chest show" after scoring a goal.

Im a memeber of the Wanderers , and the Sea Eagles.. Cant compare the two, most of the wanderers fans are actually just soccer lovers, with no love for what they call egg ball, many of them dont even follow NRL. There is a big number of Doggies, Penrith and Parra fansa there yes, but its not just them. I have 7 Sea Eagles mates who are also members of the wanderers as we all live in western sydney. The songs are not ripped off the EPL!!! thats sydney FC, most of the Wanderers stuff is from the European and South American leagues. The atmosphere at the games in the derby is not mtached in any code of Australian sporting codes. Alot of passion.. The club was set up the correct way, asking for the fans input,what the colours would be , where they would playy etc, the supporters have and still to this day have a massive say. NOW on to a-league. I really think NRL if they are fairdinkum of goin the next step they should follow the a-league model. Australia Wide, less teams but eg, you can have a North , East, West and South ( or West and East sydney teams) 2 in queensland, and and 1 in every other state etc just a suggestion... stadiums would be full rivalries would be greater and more intense. The exsisting teams that are playing now , can play in NSW comp or whatever. If NRL is serious this is how you grow the game, might be a culture change which needs adjusting but that is the way forward. Otherwise we will just have clubs struggling to make ends meet.. Thats my take on things.. On the soccer/football even if you dont like the sport, The Sydney Derby should and must be attended at least once in your lifetime. Belive me you will leave there with an open ,mind and id be suprised if you think there is anything else in this country that can match it.

SeaEagle007 said:
The atmosphere at the games in the derby is not mtached in any code of Australian sporting codes.

Collingwood vs Essendon on ANZAC Day. SOO has some magic moments. I'd suggest that whilst admirable, it is still matched by some of the bigger fixtures in other codes.

Hamster Huey said:
SeaEagle007 said:
The atmosphere at the games in the derby is not mtached in any code of Australian sporting codes.

Collingwood vs Essendon on ANZAC Day. SOO has some magic moments. I'd suggest that whilst admirable, it is still matched by some of the bigger fixtures in other codes.

Mate ive been to the last 7 and 1 in QLD SOO in sydney, its not even close, only in some minute sections, Ive watched the AFL one on TV never been there in the flesh so cant really comment. But this is full on from hours before kick off!! The crowd intensity is from start to finish , both sets of fans..

Chip and Chase said:
Soccer is a boring game so of course you need chants and stuff to keep the crowd interested. There are big blocks of time where there is sweet FA happening on the pitch.
Nailed it in one.
if you want to stand up and do the Macarena while the game is on, then soccer is for you.

One time Simon and garfunkle attracted 350,000 people to a show. Why don't they play at brookie every week?

18,000 paid up members and still counting...Near full stadiums and most games played at night.......Call it what you want but its a successful model.

To me, big crowds = crap. Soccer is the Michael Jackson of sport. It appeals to the uneducated masses. If most of the world lIkes it, then odds on it is simplistic and uninteresting. Give me complicated any day. I like rugby league, which is a boutique, tribal, niche game. Give me a 12 to 15k crowd in a suburban ground, that'll be fine thanks. I want to see the game, like I want to see a punk band up close. You can keep your stadia, soccer and Michael Jackson.

Shoe1 said:
To me, big crowds = crap. Soccer is the Michael Jackson of sport. It appeals to the uneducated masses. If most of the world lIkes it, then odds on it is simplistic and uninteresting. Give me complicated any day. I like rugby league, which is a boutique, tribal, niche game. Give me a 12 to 15k crowd in a suburban ground, that'll be fine thanks. I want to see the game, like I want to see a punk band up close. You can keep your stadia, soccer and Michael Jackson.

Rugby Union is the game for you then ;)

SeaEagle007 said:
Im a memeber of the Wanderers , and the Sea Eagles.. Cant compare the two, most of the wanderers fans are actually just soccer lovers, with no love for what they call egg ball, many of them dont even follow NRL. There is a big number of Doggies, Penrith and Parra fansa there yes, but its not just them. I have 7 Sea Eagles mates who are also members of the wanderers as we all live in western sydney. The songs are not ripped off the EPL!!! thats sydney FC, most of the Wanderers stuff is from the European and South American leagues. The atmosphere at the games in the derby is not mtached in any code of Australian sporting codes. Alot of passion.. The club was set up the correct way, asking for the fans input,what the colours would be , where they would playy etc, the supporters have and still to this day have a massive say. NOW on to a-league. I really think NRL if they are fairdinkum of goin the next step they should follow the a-league model. Australia Wide, less teams but eg, you can have a North , East, West and South ( or West and East sydney teams) 2 in queensland, and and 1 in every other state etc just a suggestion... stadiums would be full rivalries would be greater and more intense. The exsisting teams that are playing now , can play in NSW comp or whatever. If NRL is serious this is how you grow the game, might be a culture change which needs adjusting but that is the way forward. Otherwise we will just have clubs struggling to make ends meet.. Thats my take on things.. On the soccer/football even if you dont like the sport, The Sydney Derby should and must be attended at least once in your lifetime. Belive me you will leave there with an open ,mind and id be suprised if you think there is anything else in this country that can match it.

Do you people prefer the term Wandertards or Westards?
You need to look at changing to one of these as when I wear my Bolton Wanderers shirt, people try to associate me with you lot, which I'm sure you understand is quite an insult. Imagine if they mistook your league team to be the Doggies. Unthinkable.

I see the idea you had about Rugby League. Remember Superleage? That was fantastic for the game.
You can't do it with an established league. I'd never support a Northern Sydney team, it's Manly or nothing.
Even the A-League is pushing it a bit. To kill off Northern Spirit to bring in SFC was a bit poor. It took me a few years to even admit I was a Sydney supporter. If it was the Sea Eagles, I'd never get over it.

KaZa said:
Sydney FC as well. Much more civilised too.

It is just the culture of football that creates that atmosphere. The singing is not really done in any other game. Chanting yes.. singing no. NFL seems to have the record of loudest atmosphere which is interesting.

The sad part of rugby leagues atmosphere.. it is just yelling out crap like 'hes offside' 'put him in a coffin' etc. It doesnt add to the game and most people are silent until something happens. Each game is different.

The Leeds crowd sung throughout the entire match at the 2012 World Club challenge. By far the best atmosphere I've experienced at a Rugby League match. It was very EPL like.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4