Manly conundrums

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
1 Tooves,love him or hate him is gone.The club will be 1 and 9 in a month and if Tooves is to get the respectful exit he deserves it needs to be done now and not after another month of losses when he will be copping a lot more rubbish than he deserves.if he so desires I hope he stays involved in our club.I also hope the club doesn't go down the Tim Sheens / Brian Smith dinasour route to replace him.The are more Robinsons out there.We need to find one.

2. The halves.The 6 must go now.He has disrespected the famous no.6 for too long.The other bloke is trying but other than 20 minutes against Melbourne he has been ordinary..I am ambivalent here.Send him packing or he plays.We may win a game or 2 on his back at some stage and that may help out re the spoon.Wouldnt concern me either way what they do with him.I hope the club goes the way of chasing a young turk combined with an experienced hand in the 6 and 7. It is too tough a game to go with youth in both positions.

3 Matt Ballin Like everyone I love this bloke,especially after the carry on by the million dollar babies, but if the club thinks playing him for 80 minutes till the end of 2017 is the way forward they are deluding themselves.Without the superstars there his lack of creativity will be exposed.He has zero impact in the red zone.We need some spark out of dummy half in a big hurry.

4 Peta Hiku. I just can't work out what to do with this bloke and given his recent upgrade he is not an inexpensive player.His best spot seems to be as a safe defensive style fullback as per the 2013 Roosters semi but in the modern day game he is not in the same class as Many of the top custodians running around.He has skill but I just don't see them as being sufficient to be an elite player in a particular position.The club needs to put him on the market in my opinion.We have other more pressing issues.

5. Jamie Buhrer. Probably our best forward but is he overrated ? The comparisons to Gift are way off the mark and probably come about because of the small size at similar stages of their career.Gift at his best is tough as nails and a great ball player?Jamie is a runner and a good player but not good enough to build a pack around.We need some dynamic ball runners in the back row as badly as we need halves.In a much better pack Jamie can shine.

6. Jake T and Ligii Sao have the talent to be top flight props.Give them a whole season to develop.Other than Symonds and Lui the rest of our pack are reserve graders unless BJ fully recovers from his injury.The club needs to get its head out of the sand and recognise that.

7 In Gutherson and Tom T we have some fantastic outside back talent.It is too late for Clinton this year but the other bloke needs to play every week.We need to learn something from his debut yesterday.In a rebuilding phase there is zero to lose in trying new talent.A team of champions for a decade meant we could take out time.Not any more! The twenties look like they have some great back talent as well which augers well.

8. Snake,Matai and Killer I thought Snake looked good in the first 2 rounds but his attitude since has been ordinary like many others.I think he has enough left in him to be valuable when the coach is changed,which is such a sad thing to say.Give Stevie his transfer if he wants it.He has earned it.We need the cash to spend in more important areas and if we released Hiku as well our war chest may be big enough.We have to find almost an entire forward pack.Killer is a must keep in a rebuild phase.Great skipper and will be invaluable in tough times ahead.
9 If Gutho ain't good enough find a f...ing goal kicker.

W e are now a serious contender for the spoon given our draw and attitude.The club need to be decisive.Their approach this year has the smell of a total clean out and rebuild about it.I hope so,because that may mean they have a definite plan.The only other explanation is madness.I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for a little while longer.Toovey and the halves fate must be sorted now.

Good summary of the situation. Could we also add "release Blair immediately" to the list..?

Total clean out and rebuild is exactly what we need.

I just hope they have the balls to do it properly, and not just a half job.

Nice post. Blair is not why we are loosing sure he is part of the problem and he should never put on a 1st grade jumper again but we need some forwards with some mongrel that hurt teams in D and that have go forward. What we are serving up is crap and doesn't give the backs much chance.

1 Tooves,love him or hate him is gone.The club will be 1 and 9 in a month and if Tooves is to get the respectful exit he deserves it needs to be done now and not after another month of losses when he will be copping a lot more rubbish than he deserves.if he so desires I hope he stays involved in our club.I also hope the club doesn't go down the Tim Sheens / Brian Smith dinasour route to replace him.The are more Robinsons out there.We need to find one.

2. The halves.The 6 must go now.He has disrespected the famous no.6 for too long.The other bloke is trying but other than 20 minutes against Melbourne he has been ordinary..I am ambivalent here.Send him packing or he plays.We may win a game or 2 on his back at some stage and that may help out re the spoon.Wouldnt concern me either way what they do with him.I hope the club goes the way of chasing a young turk combined with an experienced hand in the 6 and 7. It is too tough a game to go with youth in both positions.

3 Matt Ballin Like everyone I love this bloke,especially after the carry on by the million dollar babies, but if the club thinks playing him for 80 minutes till the end of 2017 is the way forward they are deluding themselves.Without the superstars there his lack of creativity will be exposed.He has zero impact in the red zone.We need some spark out of dummy half in a big hurry.

4 Peta Hiku. I just can't work out what to do with this bloke and given his recent upgrade he is not an inexpensive player.His best spot seems to be as a safe defensive style fullback as per the 2013 Roosters semi but in the modern day game he is not in the same class as Many of the top custodians running around.He has skill but I just don't see them as being sufficient to be an elite player in a particular position.The club needs to put him on the market in my opinion.We have other more pressing issues.

5. Jamie Buhrer. Probably our best forward but is he overrated ? The comparisons to Gift are way off the mark and probably come about because of the small size at similar stages of their career.Gift at his best is tough as nails and a great ball player?Jamie is a runner and a good player but not good enough to build a pack around.We need some dynamic ball runners in the back row as badly as we need halves.In a much better pack Jamie can shine.

6. Jake T and Ligii Sao have the talent to be top flight props.Give them a whole season to develop.Other than Symonds and Lui the rest of our pack are reserve graders unless BJ fully recovers from his injury.The club needs to get its head out of the sand and recognise that.

7 In Gutherson and Tom T we have some fantastic outside back talent.It is too late for Clinton this year but the other bloke needs to play every week.We need to learn something from his debut yesterday.In a rebuilding phase there is zero to lose in trying new talent.A team of champions for a decade meant we could take out time.Not any more! The twenties look like they have some great back talent as well which augers well.

8. Snake,Matai and Killer I thought Snake looked good in the first 2 rounds but his attitude since has been ordinary like many others.I think he has enough left in him to be valuable when the coach is changed,which is such a sad thing to say.Give Stevie his transfer if he wants it.He has earned it.We need the cash to spend in more important areas and if we released Hiku as well our war chest may be big enough.We have to find almost an entire forward pack.Killer is a must keep in a rebuild phase.Great skipper and will be invaluable in tough times ahead.
9 If Gutho ain't good enough find a f...ing goal kicker.

W e are now a serious contender for the spoon given our draw and attitude.The club need to be decisive.Their approach this year has the smell of a total clean out and rebuild about it.I hope so,because that may mean they have a definite plan.The only other explanation is madness.I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for a little while longer.Toovey and the halves fate must be sorted now.
Well said. Agree with all of it - sadly, in the case of Tooves. And while I'm very much aware our forwards are rubbish, we've spend enough time in their 20 in the last two games, for a decent attack (ours formerly) to score ten tries. So it's not just the forwards, it's across the bloody park.

I read your post the other day before Canberra game and you correctly predicted the outcome. In respect to saying 2V is gone can you please tell me who we could replace him with? No one in their right mind would replace him with Nathan Brown. The only person I could think of is Laurie Daley. I think a more apt summation is that 2V is safe until! They can replace him with someone who could likely do better!
I think because of this reason 2V is safe! Other than a wish list vs who is available? Trent Barrett or Kelly (haslers assistant) Is not an option either. 2V is the best we can possibly hope to have atm. He needs his chance to rebuild.

Great summary, although I'm not ready to toss Hiku out yet. I want him to have a full season at centre to see what he can do. He's got talent.

And while I'm very much aware our forwards are rubbish, we've spend enough time in their 20 in the last two games, for a decent attack (ours formerly) to score ten tries. So it's not just the forwards, it's across the bloody park.

Very true. The forwards haven't been great but they held their own against the Storm and the Dogs and have at least been trying to play to the best of their limited abilities. Same can't be said for our star-studded backline or our million-dollar halves, who have been terrible in attack and turnstiles in defence. We should have beaten the Dogs. We should have beaten the Dragons. We didn't. Even yesterday we had enough opportunities to score plenty of points. Again, we didn't.

Robson and McGuire cut their teeth in SL. Brown has just done his bit. Won with Saints last season. Wouldn't be the worst option.

The sad thing is if we have forwards and some guile in resigning our talent there's no talk of a club legend getting the boot. Sad sad state of affairs

Hi guys, new to forum but lifelong eagle. Very disappointing in our attitude towards the game. You all are right in regards to the halves and entire squad.Both halves must be put in nsw cup immediately. Dce didn't touch the ball in first half and when he did, he runs with a care free attitude and constantly throws the ball to no one. Their is definitely no desperation to get to the ball.
With 2vy I think he has got our structure all wrong. Yes we don't have massive forwards but all we seem to do is hit one or two up, then get a pass out back for a spread which pushes us sidewards loosing ground. How about getting in our forwards ears and getting them to continually hit it up with support, working for a kick for field possession. We are definitely not giving them the respect needed. Luke burgess, jake t, Liga, Jesse, Liu. We are ruining their game by asking them to continually pop the ball out back instead of doing what the job of a forward is to do. Run hard, straight and eat the metres. Only my thoughts.

A younger coach would be ideal. I think we are entering an era where technical coaching takes a back seat to ego management. Yes you still need to manage the X's and o's but you also need to be able to keep the sheds in check. Being a hot head won't cut it any more. You need to massage egos and so on to get the best out of guys. That's pretty much what SOO coaching is. At this point they should know how to play and read the game.

The Rebuilding has to start somewhere, we should of been rebuilding back in 2010, its now 2015..

Better now than in 2-3 years time I say, it had to happen. Just stick by the team, we are so used to success , I know it hurts being in the same predicament as the 2003-2004 team.

Look at our stars they are all ready for retirement. The younger stars have been paid overs to join other clubs. The board we had has alot to answer for. At the end of the day you pay for your sucess, and because we have been so successful , we are now feeling the brunt of it, most teams are successful for 5 years, not 10-11 like us.

Stick by your team, it wasn't that long ago, that NE was here and I didnt have a team. WHen 2003 came about I was happy to have my team back, I was even prepared for them to win the spoon that year, but it didn't matter, Manly was back.

We obviously have issues at the moment, the main issue as fans is we have forgotten what its like to lose. Once we get over this the good times will be back. As far as the spoon goes, I dont think we will get it this year, I reckon we will finish about 11th, however have the team to sneak into the 8 if all cylinders are firing. But if the inevitable happens and we get a spoon, Who Cares... It can act as a reminder to the board , this is what happens when you stuff around.

On the positive, we are getting to blood alot of juniors into first grade at present, this will benefit us in a year or 2 time.

We'll be ok

When was the last time we played a game with our best 17 on the field? It certainly hasn't been this year. When we get our best team on the park I will judge our coach and players, not when we have half our NSW cup team playing 1st grade. Our NSW cup team have been crap for years, now we are exposed to this crap. If we can get our best team on the field there is no way we will win the spoon.

Last edited:
Well done @SeaEagle007 an all to rare, rational and common sense post. The second meaningful post in this thread along with OP, actually it's refreshing to read these posts sans the histrionics that have dominated these forums of late.

Rather than get rid of a club legend coach who has performed magnificently since he took the job, why not back him and send those not performing down to park footy.

I'd love to see the Manly club make a statement and send these guys who demand rock star money but are performing like busted arseholes get sent down.

Send them down and leave them down.

Re Hiku I don't doubt his ability but in today's game being a footballer and not an athlete goes against you( which is a total joke). it is hard to see where he fits in the modern game. He lacks the acceleration the great fullbacks and three quarters have and struggles to read the play in defence(his defence is great at fullback because he doesn't need to make decisions). He could prove me wrong but I don't think he is creative enough or has the kicking game to be a 6. I am also loathe to cut players mid contract unless they are happy to change clubs (for obvious reasons)Is he contracted till 16 or 17?
In terms of who we replace Toovey with,the modern game also does not work like that.Interim coaches are the norm and to be honest can the results be any worse.Cutting Toovey won't be done because there is someone better ready to go,it will be done to make a statement that change is in the air.Agree with it or not that is how this stuff always unfolds.

Re Hiku I don't doubt his ability but in today's game being a footballer and not an athlete goes against you( which is a total joke). it is hard to see where he fits in the modern game. He lacks the acceleration the great fullbacks and three quarters have and struggles to read the play in defence(his defence is great at fullback because he doesn't need to make decisions). He could prove me wrong but I don't think he is creative enough or has the kicking game to be a 6. I am also loathe to cut players mid contract unless they are happy to change clubs (for obvious reasons)Is he contracted till 16 or 17?
In terms of who we replace Toovey with,the modern game also does not work like that.Interim coaches are the norm and to be honest can the results be any worse.Cutting Toovey won't be done because there is someone better ready to go,it will be done to make a statement that change is in the air.Agree with it or not that is how this stuff always unfolds.
I'd love to see us make a play for Gagai.
Hiku has great feet but geez he lacks speed. Id bulk him up and push him into the back row.
Release matai, Blair and Williams and make a play for gagai....
Pipe dream I know

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4